expecting too much too soon?

joang71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, Joan here,and new to the site.  at a friend's request I took in 2  5 yr old female cats; both  spayed. One a Calico, the other a Blue Russian. They are not from the same litter but  been together for 5 yrs. Needed new home due to owners boyfriend's cat allergy. Owners grown daughter who had her own apartment took in the cats until she had a boyfriend come into her life with a dog. Calico did not like dogs aggressive behavior and scratched dog in eye,requiring vet visit. outcome ok, but home situation not improving and Calico has lost 2 pounds from the stress. So I took them in yesterday.

The Blue Russian took to me immediately, not so with the Calico. The Blue Russian plays with all the toys I bought and runs around the house like she had been here a long time; even at bedtime she followed me to bed and stayed there all night with me. The Calico growls and hisses and runs to another room. She somewhat wants to be friendly, but is holding back. Her buddy only seems to care about being with me, but still looks around from time to time for her buddy who still runs and hides. Could some jealousy be creeping in already, or is the stressed cat mentally remembering the dog situation.

She could use those 2 pounds back she lost, and owner did say she was an anxious cat when it came to riding in a car, to the point of making herself sick. I did have a cat at one time who was a sweetie, but had her anxious moments.

Question is, is it just a matter of time for adjustment? and should I just go about my business and let it play out? What about the cat who has gotten very close to me so quickly.  Am I creating a future situation of possible separation of the two if problem is not resolved in a reasonable amount of time?

The hissing and growling, and running away can be ignored, but can't be any less stressful for her. I've always had cats, but never in this situation

where I took in two that had spent so much time together.  This senior thanks any advise that can make for a happy home.

Even us humans get stressed. Thanks much !!!

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A moving causes stress in every cat. And every cat reacts differently on a move. 

I think the Russian Blue deals with her stress by looking for humans to comfort her. You are doing well, and she will get attached to you really soon. The Calico on the other hand is probably more stressed (as she has had stress in her previous house too, she was already stressed BEFORE the extra stress from the movement) and will probably need a while longer to adjust. Just leave her be for a while and let her do what she feels is right. She has to get used to the environment and to you, before she will be her old self again.

This can take several weeks before the stress reduces completely and she feels comfortable. Give her time and just try to show her you are good. She will probably start walking around during the night, and eventually look for her friend again.

Keep us updated, but for now it sounds completely normal. I hope she will feel well soon. Thank you for taking them in and helping them having a stressless life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joang71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you so much. A  senior widow living alone, a cat gives much comfort and companionship , and I look forward to being blessed twice. Take cre

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joang71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I meant take care !!