Exotic Shorthair Kitten Male Or Female?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kacinicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am sorry i can not get very good pictures and this one is long hair which does not help!

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As you say, the pictures aren't great but I think it's a male. In one pic you can kind of see 2 dots, and in the last pic it looks like there's a fair distance between the anus and genitals. But, yeah, those fluffy babies are hard!

Kacinicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I was thinking male because of the distance and the females are very clearly females, no question. They will be taken to the vet soon so i will also ask him.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, HE might have a hard time, as well! We've had at least ONE vet who was fooled until the kitten in question was anethesized and shaved! But I think that's a boy. Those floofy bottoms don't help a bit!

Kacinicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well if it is in fact a boy, then he is a very special little boy! He is a calico. Cfa has told us that if it is a boy he is a genetic anomaly. I thought he was a boy when i looked a couple weeks ago when his fur was shorter, but now im second guessing myself. All i saw was 2 little dots far away from his butt back then, but his fur is in the way now. The other 3 are girls and easy to tell. Well thank you everyone.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure that's a calico? It looks like it could be a really warm brown tabby and white to me. Do you have pictures of the rest of his/her body?

Kacinicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, i sent pictures to the CFA breed council to check. They said he is red, white and black and that he is a genetic anomaly if he is male. Not sure is he is considered calico or brown tabby patch? Either way he is a sweet little boy and i will be keeping him (or her?).

Kacinicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They wouldn't tell me what color he is considered. They just kept telling me that he is probably a girl, that i just cant tell yet and that it is very rare for a male to have red and black on them.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I think you should wait and see how he looks when he grows up a little more. The "red" patches are on his face and appear symmetrical to me. I think that could be part of a warm brown tabby pattern. Or, he could be a girl... it can be hard to tell in young kittens :)

Which breed council secretary did you send the pictures to? Penny Richter (outgoing Exotic BCS) or Lynn Cooke (incoming Exotic BCS)?

If he DOES have red tabby patches on him, he would be considered brown patched tabby and white. Calico would refer to a cat that is genetically solid (not tabby) with black patches, red tabby patches, and white patches.

Kacinicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I contacted Amanda Ganni with CFA and she sent the pictures to the breed council and got back with me. They said he does have red on him, but i will wait and see. He is only 4 weeks old at the moment so i am sure his color will still change a bit.