Exotic animal owner's under attack in Ohio!!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Reposted with permission from my friend and exotic animal owner,  George Krause. Saved me a lot of typing

In Ohio we are dealing with a major crisis at this very moment. The tragedy that ultimately ended in the death of over 50 exotic animals has fueled the fire for animal rights groups to place bans on private exotic animal ownership in Ohio. I am an exotic animal owner. I do everything by the book. I have my permits, and my exotics have the best of the best as far as their living space, diet and enrichment, and much much love and attention. I do agree there are those that do not have the experience or knowledge needed to own these animals. It does take a lot of experience, patience and know how to raise an exotic pet. I have studied exotic animals as well as domestic animals for over 20 years now. I have one bobcat and a muntjac deer. We raised our bobcat from 4 weeks of age as well as our deer. He is our baby and looks to us as his parents. Exotic animals such as bobcats have very high intelligence levels. They are absolutely not an animal for everyone, but for those who have the experience and knowledge there is nothing more rewarding than coming home each day and being greeted at the door by a 50 pound bobcat jumping into your arms and licking your face and purring like a freight train, so happy to see you, and playing to no end , following you everywhere you go, and falling asleep in the crook of your arms every night.

We are facing a major challenge right now to keep our rights to own these beautiful animals. I do agree that in Ohio our laws are lacking in how easy it is to obtain an exotic pet. I counsel people every day in exotic ownership. I volunteer and charge nothing to help out anyone interested in owning an exotic pet. I have probably talked more people out of owning an exotic pet than those that have decided that an exotic is the right match for them. It is a challenge every single day, but there is nothing more rewarding in my book than exotic ownership. Our right to own is being threatened by the Animal rights groups right now. They are proposing laws that will prohibit the buying and selling of exotic animals, and the ownership of them as well. There is the possibility that even the people that already own exotics will have theirs taken away. If this happens and people's exotics are taken away they will be put down. Most if not all of the exotic sanctuaries in Ohio are full. So the only option is that they will be put down. I have followed all of the laws pertaining to exotic ownership. I have my permit. I have a secure home with double door entries at all doorways to prevent escapes and I have a large enclosure that our animals can go in and out of at will. There are irresponsible exotic owners, just like irresponsible domestic animal owners. I agree that new regulations should be in order to weed out the irresponsible owners, but a complete ban is just uncalled for and unfair to us responsible owners.

I have done some research on animal attacks and bites in the United States over the past 10 years and the results are pretty alarming. Statistics do not lie and the findings are quite alarming. My statistics and information came from The National Safety Council. Here are their findings

In the U.S. each year there are more than 4.7 million dog bites and attacks. Over 30 of those are fatal. Most domestic dog attacks are those dogs that are chained up on too short of chains, or those who break their chains. Studies prove that dogs that are chained are many more times likely to be mal-adjusted and mean tempered. In many cases of dog bites and attacks nothing is done. No charges filed and nothing done to the owners. Dog bites range from simple puncture wounds, to major lacerations, to dismemberment and death to the victims. There are leash laws in many states and cities across the U.S. but rarely are owners charged, warned or convicted of any wrongdoing when their dogs are not properly contained. People that fall victim to dog bites and attacks are very likely to suffer not only physical injuries but mental and emotional scars that last a lifetime. On a side note, I had a student two years ago that was visiting a friend and got mauled by the friend's dog. She has endured two surgeries to reconstruct her nose and part of her face. Nothing was ever done to the owners and they still own the dog. I had to fence in our yard with a foot wooden privacy fence to prevent my neighbors pit bull from killing our dogs because our neighbor keeps his pit bull on a 6 foot chain, and the dog is constantly breaking the chain. The dog gets no attention. It is naturally mean and will attack anything that it sees. The police have done nothing to stop this.

Statistics show that we are 400 times more likely to be killed by a horse than by an exotic animal. Deaths by captive pet bears per year are .125% less than one person per year. Deaths by reptiles are 1 person per year. Deaths by captive large cats such as tigers and lions, cougars and such are less than one per year. On an average over the last 20 years 3 people per year are killed by exotic animals in the U.S. compared to that of over 30 domestic dogs alone.

Random death statistics that have nothing to do with exotic animals, 11 people per year are killed by fireworks, 26 by floods, 32 by earthquakes, 47 by lightening, 66 by hornets, bees and wasps, 75 by storms, 417 by falling off of ladders, and 515 by drowning, 715 by discharged firearms, 742 by air and space travel, 926 by all terrain vehicles, 1225 by drowning, 3676 by riding motorcycles, and over 44,000 by car accidents.

Statistics prove that less than 3 people are killed by exotic animals each year, most of those being the larger predators like lions, tigers, bears and large reptiles. In my findings no one has ever been killed by a bobcat, African Serval, or Caracal, which are all smaller species of wildcats.

I believe these statistics speak for themselves. There are many more irresponsible domestic animal owners than that of exotic animal owners. A complete ban, and for our exotic animals to be taken away from us would be absurd. My animals pose no danger to any of the public. I believe that if a person has the training and hands on experience with exotics there should be no reason that they should be denied that right to own the animal that they want. With the larger animals like the lions, tigers, bears.....The training obviously should be more extensive. An exotic animal needs adequate space to live in, as far as their enclosure, and indoor living space. I have been at some zoos where tigers are living in spaces not suitable for such large animals. A good example of that is the zoo in the large city north of Canton. (not mentioning the name) There are four tigers in an enclosure suitable for a small cat like a bobcat or Serval. In my book that is not acceptable. That is one reason that more regulations need to be put in place. The other reason is that a lot of people just think it woul be cool to own an exotic pet like a bobcat, but as they grow and mature they find that they cannot handle their behaviors. Training and education would prepare individuals for what they are going to encounter as exotic animal owners. Too many exotic animals are in shelters because of this very reason. People find that they just cannot handle the behaviors, or the breeders that they bought them from sugar coated what they would be like.

I love owning my bobcat. He is a challenge every day, but I have a lot of experience, and am prepared for his behaviors and know how to handle any situation that should arise that could be a problem. Our bobcat is gentle and friendly and very sociable, and that is because of our experience with exotc animals.

WHen there is one incident with exotic animals, the animal rights groups fight as hard as they can to place bans on them. This is not right or fair. In my opinion the focus should be placed on more important things like the 4.7 million dog attacks that happen each year, and over 30 deaths by domestic dogs. Exotic animals are not the problem, and that is proven by the statistics. I think that people do not know very much at all about exotic animals and just think they are wild killers, which is not the case at all. No one has the right to decide anything about exotics unless they know exotics. 99% of people do not know anything about exotics except from what they read in the paper about an isolated incident or what they see at the zoo. Exotic animals are the most loving caring, and intelligent animals that love their owners. I ask anyone who is unfamiliar with exotics to visit an exotic sanctuary or an owner with an exotic animal and form your own opinion. Don't just form it from what you read. Like I said I counsel prospective owners everyday on exotic ownership and am happy to speak to anyone that has any questions about exotic pets. Please dont let our government take away another one of our rights. Slowly our rights are being taken away one by one. Thanks for reading and sorry for such a long letter, but the message is so important, and the statistics are the most important to remember.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I thought they would be back after what happened.  Instead of banning ownership the laws already in place need to be enforced but a ban is easier I guess.  I have no problem with responsible knowledgeable people who have the resources having an exotic.  It's not something I would want to do even I had the resources.  I love to look at tigers but I also have a fear of close contact with one and I am assuming they are like our domestic animals and would pick up on that fear which would create a dangerous situation. 

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
While I support the ownership of "exotics" ( I personally don't like the term), and reject laws that are the result of one persons stupidity or mental illness resulting in limiting the rights and freedoms of others, I have to take issue with his statistics. He is comparing the number of bites and deaths from dogs to those of bears and large cats without any adjustment for the fact that millions of people own dogs compared to how many people have pet bears? It's like saying that I have a higher chance of dying in a car accident than a plane crash if I don't or rarely fly. A more relevant comparison of the statistics would be ( random numbers for example ) out of 200 million dog owners in the US there are 4 million bites which is a rate of .one quarter of one percent, compared to 50 pet bear owners have 2 bites which is a rate of 2 percent. I think a better comparison of statistics would help support the cause.

I'm sure the math is off because I've been sick for a week now and honestly wasn't about to go break out the calculator. So I just picked some numbers. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are not "his" statistics, but the statistics from the National Safety Council. However, I understand what you are saying. But, the point is this. Banning and eliminating exotic ownership is not going to make anyone more safe, since there are far far fewer exotic owners than there are people who own domestic animals. You will still have a large amount of people being injured and or killed by other so called "domestic" animals suchs as dogs, horses etc. Now, I as well as other exotic animal owners, are not calling for any type of ban on these other animals. This is just to prove, there are other dangers out in the world that are FAR greater and more of a threat, than responsible people who own exotics. I laugh at times, when people tell me, "you should not be owning a wild animal". I say really?? Then why are people allowed to have horses?? Horses run free and wild in this country!! And horses can bite, kick and are known for killing or seriously injuring peopl. But the fact is, these animals are NOT wild, since they have been born and raised in captivity for generations now. This is why the term "exotic" is used. I can say I own wild cats, but this is not 100% true, since they were not born in the wild for generations. But to say my cats are domesticated is not entirely true either. So the term exotic is used. In reality, the cats I own are native to this country and the state that I live in, so they are not exotic. Some people own cats such as African Servals, Eurasian Lynx, Caracals, Tigers, Lions and or reptiles not native to this country. Those animals fit the definition of exotic. But the term exotic now describes animals that are not the typical "domesticated" animal/pet.

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi John,
I am so sorry your family is going through this threat, I really can't even imagine the stress of it all :bawling:
At what "foot" this process is, exactly? When is it going up for voting?
Can this letter from George be edited so it is more general.... this way we can try to make it viral - where can we sent it to? I am not a voter in Ohio, so I am not sure if it would help?
I do think it needs some clean up as well..... like the statistics for drowning - there are two in there....515 and 1225..... The letter would need to be clean, perfect and to the point, IMHO.
I do agree with it.... I don't know what the current laws in OH are, and I definitely think owning a large animal does require qualifications, and as such, someone should be on top of that..... if for anything, for the sake of the animals themselves :nod:
IMHO there is a lot of people who own them who have no business in doing so. In the end, at the very least, the animal will suffer..... Sometimes will die.... and if disaster strikes, a large animal is a weapon; and an angry, unsocialized one..... boy... trouble for sure.
I am not sure how and what that would take to make it a better situation for all sides.....
Of course there are just as many people, who should not own any animals :nod: Thing is, there is the stigma IMHO with exotics, due perhaps to their shear size and the damage they can do if the situation goes out of control..... A freaked out Cougar (not Carmelo, he is too sweet for that :lol3:) running scared, feeling threatened around your neighborhood is a heck lot scarier than a feral cat, let's face it....
So.... what can we do John, and do you have hope?
Also, God forbids this goes through.... what are you going to do?
All vibes going your way, this totally sucks.... Know that this household here respect and admires you and your love and devotion to your babies :hugs:

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So.... what can we do John, and do you have hope?

I am asking everyone, no matter where you live, to call the governor's office. If they ask where you live and if you do not live in Ohio, they may tell you that they are only taking comments from Ohio residents. If they say that, then ask them, WHY ARE THEY LETTING HSUS TELL THEM WHAT TO DO?? HSUS is NOT a tax paying resident of Ohio and should have NO say in this period. All you have to say is that you do NOT support this ban. It is unfair and many animals will DIE if it goes through. So much for HSUS caring for animals!! They are pushing for this ban, so that means they support the killing of animals. Do I have hope?? I try to have hope, but the only way I can gain hope is through the support of ALL animal owners/lovers.
Also, God forbids this goes through.... what are you going to do?

Well, I will only have 2 choices if this ban goes through without a grandfather clause allowing me to keep my animals for their lifetime.

1) Keep them, but go underground and then become an illegal owner, because NO ONE and I mean NO ONE, is going to take my animals, especially since this is a ban being forced on us by HSUS.

2) Move to another state. What a joy. Have to quit my job that I have had for 17 years, find a new job and try to buy a new home/property for my cats, build new enclosures, all at my own expense. So much for living in a free country right? Where one has to be forced to make these moves because of an AR terrorist group? I wonder if I could get HSUS to pay for all of this??

Thank you for your support. I, as well as ALL exotic owner's, are fighting this hard. It's hard to say what will come of this. We have not seen the actual bill as of yet. But as it stands right now, the governor of Ohio wants ALL exotics "disposed of" after Jan 1st 2014. This also includes animals living at USDA licensed facilities and sanctuaries. Only AZA licensed facilities will be able to keep them (zoos). All these animals will not be able to go to sanctuaries outside of Ohio. Some yes, but not all. So this means certain death for many many animals.

egroegart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you John for posting this.  I did not edit my paper.  I compiled the information and wrote it, but it will be edited and probably summarized somewhat.  The numbers are absolutely correct as they come from the National Safety Council.  Yes, many many more people own domestic animals and many people mistreat them thus the accidents, bites, maulings and deaths by domestics.  I know a lot of exotic animal owners, and most of them have many years of experience.  Our exotic animals are much less dangerous to the general public than domestics that are mal-adjusted and mistreated, because our exotics are keppt in secure houses and enclosures that others have no access to.  Most exotic owners have their animals go into their enclosures when guests come over to prevent any accidents.  Incidents that we have seen involving exotic pets have been due to irresponsible owners that let people interact  with them, which is a no no.  My family and  I are the only ones that have personal contact with our bobcat.  When people come to visit, our bob is in his enclosure and they can talk to him through the enclosure and visit with him that way.  There is no chance of an unwanted incident.  

Like John said it doesn't matter that there are more people that own domestics than exotics.  The fact is that 4.7 million attacks, bites maulings and deaths are attributed to domestic animals each year in the U.S.  Those numbers are unacceptable.  And I wonder why nothing is being done to reduce these numbers?  But when one incident happens with an exotic animal these A.R. groups get fuel for their fire to introduce bans.  

I am refining my paper and have a lot more facts that will be printed to present to our state.  Thank you everyone for reading this and I hope it shed some light on  what is happening here.  

A read a couple of posts here where people said that they wouldn't want to own an exotic.  I agree, exotic ownership is not for everyone.  It takes a lot of experience and know how when dealing with these beautiful creatures.  The  problem that I have is when people with no experience whatsoever are trying to ban our animals and take them away.  Our bobcat is the sweetest guy you would ever meet.  He sleeps with us in bed.  He purrs to to end, he follows us everywhere we go,  He looks to us for his every need and tells us when he needs to eat or needs something else.  I just want to thank everyone for their support.  Rght now we need as much as we can get.  Thanks,  George

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A read a couple of posts here where people said that they wouldn't want to own an exotic.  I agree, exotic ownership is not for everyone.  It takes a lot of experience and know how when dealing with these beautiful creatures.  The  problem that I have is when people with no experience whatsoever are trying to ban our animals and take them away.  Our bobcat is the sweetest guy you would ever meet.  He sleeps with us in bed.  He purrs to to end, he follows us everywhere we go,  He looks to us for his every need and tells us when he needs to eat or needs something else.  I just want to thank everyone for their support.  Rght now we need as much as we can get.  Thanks,  George

I very very much agree with that part. If I can be any help to either of you, I would be glad to be able to do so. I have never owned any pure exotics. But I hope to be able to do so one day. I have worked with exotic cats. It was a great experience. I also own a sweet, yet crazy F3 Savannah Cat, named Loki.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I very very much agree with that part. If, I can be of any help to either of you, please let me know. I have never owned any pure exotic cat. But, I hope to be able to do so one day. I have worked with exotic cats. It was a great experience. I also own a sweet, yet crazy F3 Savannah Cat, named Loki.

Last edited by a moderator:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like they want to close sanctuaries here as well.  I've never been to it but I know that the Noah's Lost Ark sanctuary in northeast Ohio houses a number of animals including several of the big cats.  I know they have taken in animals from other states and rescued severely neglected big cats.  A few of these big cats have permanent disabilities because of years of malnourishment and I haven't heard of any problems with them.  I have read some of the rescue stories on their website and they are heartbreaking.  That's the santuary where the tiger found in an apartment in New York City was taken.  Given the number of animals they have there is no way they will be able to find a suitable place out of state for all of them.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
John, this is just devastating, I am sure, for you. Your devotion and dedication to your animals is unprecedented. I do not live in Ohio but will be calling the governor's office to voice my opinion against this ban. I used to have a Pitbull and there were many places we could not live..... So unfair. It is not the animals that are the problem, it is the owners. I am sure it is the same, if not more so, for owners of exotics. I am so sorry this is threatening your family of wonderful pets like this and the possibility that you might have to move because of it. I hope enough people reject this Law from becoming a reality..... :hugs: :hugs:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
John and George,
I will be Calling the Governor's office tomorrow - if they are closed due to the Holidays, I will call on Tuesday.... Will post how it goes.....
Hang in there :hugs:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read the proposed legislation and you're right to be concerned by the grandfather clause.  It requires all current owners to get a permit within 60 days of passage and it doesn't say anything about what the permit requirements will be.  They can make permit requirements that are impossible to meet and aren't necessary for safety.  I know circuses have become obsolete for the most part but they make exceptions for them.  Circuses have a long history of mistreating animals and there have been fatalities because of that maltreatment so they really don't care about the treatment of animals.  It does seem to make an exception for sanctuaries though.  I had to laugh at the part about cats though.  It bans all large cats except for the cat commonly known as a housecat.  I would like to know by whose standard a housecat would fall in the category of a large cat.

Last edited:

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your support. This means the world to us. Having support from non exotic owners does help believe me. You are a HUGE help. So far, a bill has not yet been introduced. We are thinking it will be mid January or a little later. One we know the wording of the bill, we can get to work from there. But all calls to the Governor's office....please keep it up. We need him to know that this ban is uncalled for and that there is NO emergency in Ohio regarding exotic animals.
Just for information. Since the start of the new year, there have been 3 shootings in northeast Ohio. 2 in Cleveland and 1 in Canton. And they say exotic animals are a safety threat to society!! REALLY???? This does not mean I am calling for a ban on guns. It's just to point out that there are other problems in this state and country that need to be taken care of, not exotic animal ownership.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found the text of proposed legislation.  This proposed bill is house bill no. 352 and I found it by googling h.b.no.352.  It hasn't been introduced yet so I don't know what it will end up being when it is introduced.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last edited:

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HB 352 is actually a bill that was prematurely written before the stakeholder meetings were complete. We believe the new bill will be in the senate SB, but as of yet, have not heard when. It may be in the middle of this month or later. If we are lucky, maybe they won't do anything and just let this all die out. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
HB 352 is actually a bill that was prematurely written before the stakeholder meetings were complete. We believe the new bill will be in the senate SB, but as of yet, have not heard when. It may be in the middle of this month or later. If we are lucky, maybe they won't do anything and just let this all die out. 
Let's hope that happens :cross: Will be keeping up on this :nod: