Existing Cat So Scared Of Newbie That She Even Threw Up! Would Feliway Help?

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Basically what the title stated, currently my existing cat is caged while i'm letting the new guy roam and get familiarised with his environment.

I hope that by caging her she won't hate me too :(

Anyone has used feliway diffusers to solve such a situation effectively before?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Hi, first I'd get the new cat into a room with a door, so you can close it to give your resident cat a little bit of break from the new one. Then put up a baby gate so slow introductions can be made.
You've upended your resident cats life, please let it out of the cage immediately.
There are a lot of calming products available, if feliway doesn't help try another.
Oh and also if your resident cat hasn't been in to the vet for a while it's worth a trip, the vomiting might be a sign of something else.

jinxybean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
*winces*

Actually, I'm im the process of acclimating a new cat to our home and resident cat so I know what you are going through. But IMO you are going against territorial cat nature by caging the resident and letting the outsider take over her territory. The outsider should always start out confined and have her world gradually expanded as she acclimates. For the resident cat, let her have freedom unless she shows excess stress at having a new cat behind a closed door.

My newcomer is currently confined to a bedroom, closed door at first, so she can adjust to the transition of shelter life to a new home. During this time, we scent swapped both cats as an initial introduction. After 3 days, and after a positive peek greet through the cracked door, we put a screen at the door in the daytime so she can see the resident cat. So far, so good. She gets her vet visit tomorrow and hopefully by the weekend we'll attempt an introduction.

Feliway multiple cats does help, and so does vetriscience Composure (calming treat). But none of that is going to fix a cat distressed over losing her position as first resident cat. Can you switch things around so the newcomer is confined?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been getting conflicting information, some others I asked told me to put the old cat in the cage as the new one should acclimatise to his surroundings to lower his stress... Now I put the new guys in a room and let my current have free roam. The door of the room is open and the old one won't go anywhere near it

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, typically the new cat goes into a room and then you eventually switch the cats around and let the new one smell around the house. So you have the right idea, I just wouldn't use a cage.
I never had luck with Feliway filters or diffusers and they are expensive. Some people like them, though.
What's sad is your resident cat is throwing up. Poor sweetie. That's a new one on me. Are you sure that it's because it's upset or because of something it ate? Ate too fast maybe? You had this new cat checked out by the vet and the shots are up to date, right?
How long have you been at this introduction?
It's a real sensitive time. Honestly, I had a lot of luck just throwing the cats together. I'm not telling YOU to do that, I'm just saying. When I started ding a lot of the recommended stuff is when I ran into problems. Good luck!!!

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, previously this cat that threw up quickly made friends with another cat within 2 days of introduction, but that could be because back then she was only 3 months old (she is 1.5 years old now) health wise she's fine, I think it's just the fear as the vet gave her the all-clear and she does eat and behave normally unless the new guy is nearby.

Currently I've put them in the same room and plugged in a feliway diffuser. I've also been playing with both of them at the same time. Right now they seem fine despite being confined. Not sure if she's naturally taking to him slowly or if the feliway is working...

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I realise that when they are forced in a confined area and have no choice but to walk past each other, the existing cat will still hiss but not instigate fights, fights only break out if I try pushing them together on purpose, lol... does that indicate any progress?

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And at least she's not puking out of fear any more lol.. poor baby. Right now they're sleeping a few inches apart, but it's not really out of choice since they're in a confined space, although there's no more hissing unless mr new guy comes any closer.

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: I let them both have free roam of the house because the existing cat is unhappy with being in a small area and knocked everything over. With a larger area, they still avoid each other.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the update! When you feed them, do they eat together yet, now that they're in a larger area?

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No they don't, they avoid each other. I think previously they were forced to tolerate each other since it was a confined area. I did put their food bowls somewhat nearby each other

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, just an update but after a couple of days they are able to be this near each other while bribed with their favourite junk food without food, they voluntarily come into the same room, but still keep a minimum of 1-2 metres apart