Exciting new product I found!

kitty queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I go to the store today to pick up more raw and I saw a new product that has me pretty excited. I've heard the debate on cats getting any fruits and veggies as not necessary but what I've seen is that there is only one commercial frozen raw that has no fruits or veggies in it. RadCat is the only one and it comes in a tub form which I find difficult to work with. so if I want convenient piece size then my only option were foods that included fruits and veggies.

So today I found new stella and chewys frozen raw for cats specifically made with no fruits or veggies. After reading the whole thing the only thing that could be called a vegetable in the ingredients is pumpkin seeds. Which I'm guessing is for fiber?

So I bought a small bag of the duck. It also came in chicken and rabbit. I'm super excited about these new options!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I really should look into some of these options for when I go out of town.

So far, I've been making my own "meal packets" with my food saver.

That's 10 meals a day for 5 animals.  So, if I'm gone for even a 3 day weekend... that's 30 meal packets for my monsters.

Don't get me wrong I love my monsters, and it's a labor of love... but... LABOR being the operative word!  lol

If I'm going to spend the time and extra expense in bags, I might as well be getting it "off the shelf".

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Gosh, here I was all excited about something new, and I've known about Stella and Chewys for a long time
  They also make a freeze-dried version, for travel or whatever.  That's what we use for treats!  It's pretty pricey, though, if you were to use it for full time meals (the freeze dried, I'm speaking of)

The problem with the frozen stuff, I found, was that my cats didn't like it for some reason.  They liked Radcat, but not S & C
  Another option to either Radcat or Stella and Chewys is Hare-Today.com. 

Furmonster:  Can't you bag up just one bag per day for all your furkids?  I think that's what LDG does.  She's got 7 or 8 cats now and I'm pretty sure she freezes her portions per day, or per meal rather than per cat per meal.  Or do yours all eat something different?    Maybe she does hers per meal because it seems like she has hers bagged in 12 oz bags or something like that.  that would be about the amount for one meal for 7 cats.  And I think most of us just use ziplock bags or plastic containers or jars vs vacuum packing simply because it gets used up pretty fast.  Gosh, I cannot imagine vacuum packing all the stuff I just packaged up.  I think I just did 24 bags and thought THAT was a lot
.  I figure that'll get used up within 45 days, so no way was I going to vacuum pack it.  What I do is use small ziplocks and them put those inside freezer bags, just for added protection.  then I bring the smaller ones inside to the fridge and one small bag will last usually 2 days (since only one cat is eating raw right now
)

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Furmonster:  Can't you bag up just one bag per day for all your furkids?
Generally, yes, that is what I do for myself.

But to make it easier on the pet-sitters when I'm gone, I do individual meal packets.  That way, they don't have to bother with the rigamarole of cutting the meats and weighing the meals out, and touching (ew!) organ meats... It's faster for them just to slice open a packet and plop it on a dish.  And for my pet-sitter who has kids, that is definitely a factor. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Furmonster:  Can't you bag up just one bag per day for all your furkids?
Generally, yes, that is what I do for myself.

But to make it easier on the pet-sitters when I'm gone, I do individual meal packets.  That way, they don't have to bother with the rigamarole of cutting the meats and weighing the meals out, and touching (ew!) organ meats... It's faster for them just to slice open a packet and plop it on a dish.  And for my pet-sitter who has kids, that is definitely a factor. 
Oh...I cut my meats up BEFORE packaging, then all anyone has to do is scoop them out of the ziploc bags (with a spoon) and dump them into the bowl as it sits on the scale piece by piece until they get to the right weight per cat.  First they could do the meat, then the organs?  Whatever.  Just trying to make it easy for you AND your catsitter.