Excessive Yeowling - Wit's End!

krymarch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
New member here looking for some advice. I have done extensive research but am hoping for further direction at this point.

We adpoted our cat (Bagheera) through a local Vancouver shelter (VOKRA) just over 2 months ago. We were told that she had been rescued from a hoarding house, along with 10-15 other cats. She is 1 year 6 months old, neutered, and had a full vet checkup a few weeks after we adopted her (no issues).

She became comfortable with us quite quickly, is a very social cat, and loves to play. However she is a very vocal cat, and the behavior has started to get worse.

She meows at us when we come home, she coos at us when she first wakes up (both of those we have no issue with), and she has always gotten vocal (yowls) at feeding times. She has been on a wet food diet, and we would give her half her daily portion when we woke up at 6 each morning, and the other half around 5-6 in the evening. She was waking us up during the early mornings (around 3), so we began splitting her evening portion up (1/2 around 4 in the afternoon, 1/2 at 9 before we go to bed). This helped the behavior somewhat, and many nights she would not wake us before we were getting up.

Throughout this time, I have worked at clicker training her. She sits quite well, and from there I have been working on rewarding her for quiet behavior during these sessions. I normally do so once a day, with about 10 bits of Orijen dry kibble as rewards. She adapts quickly to being quiet for the treats, however this has no impact on her meowing outside of these sessions.

Throughout this time, she would still wake up early and meow at us on the bed, however we would put her outside, close the door, and she would play/be quiet outside the room until we woke up.

Recently however, she has begun meowing loudly if we put her outside the room and close the door, this is the issue we are having now. Throughout this week we have not had much sleep past 3-4 in the morning due to her excessive yowling, and it is quickly getting to be frustrating. She is very food focused (obsessed even), and when it is near to her feeding time she is very anxious (meowing, won't settle down, etc.), though never aggressive.

Based on advice I have found online, these are the things we have tried:

- We always have an interactive play session before going to bed, for 10-15 minutes. Again, seeing as she falls asleep alongside us consistently, I believe this works to expend her energy at this point.

- We have tried giving her a puzzle feeder ball, with 1/4 her daily intake in the Orijen kibble, once she awakes initially in the early morning. This keeps her busy for around 45-60 minutes, however once she has gotten the food, she is back at our door meowing loudly. We both have started using ear plugs, however her meowing carries through those and we cannot fall asleep. As many of you know, this is VERY difficult to simply lie there and ignore. I do not believe it is because she is hungry, but because it is routine.

The behavior was tolerable when she would stay quiet once put outside the bedroom, however with her meowing now we are struggling to figure out the best solution. We have not yet used any sort of spray bottle or related deterrent, and were never planning to, however lately in the middle of the night it is very tempting to try when she is outside the door yowling.

The other idea is to try aggressively rewarding quiet behaviour by spoon feeding all her meals, waiting for her to be quiet each time. However I have my doubts that this will solve her meowing prior to it being feeding time, just as she adapts to being quiet during the existing sessions but resorts back to loudly meowing outside of them.

I am really hoping there is some more concrete advice based on our specific situation that some of you might have. I am sure many of you have the same experience of it being 3 in the morning and not being able to get any sleep because of yowling! It is not a simple situation to continue thinking rationally throughout!

Thank you very much in advance for any advice.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Since she's used to kibble from her clicker training, you could get an automatic feeder with a timer, put a snack of kibble in it and set it to open at 3 a.m..We used one for years with our last cat and it worked wonders ( though Jamie's time to yowl was 5 a.m.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krymarch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks jcat!

That was another idea we had in the back of our minds. Although considering she still comes around meowing after the puzzle feeder around 3-4 am, I harbour doubts that this will solve the behavior, which is why I was thinking of other solutions first.

Although I do understand that with the puzzle feeder it is still equatable to us giving her attention by getting up and putting it out for her, compared to the automatic feeder that would not require us being involved. That may be very well be one of the next things we try.

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I feel for you, and this sounds exactly like our story! We adopted our tabby just under 2 months ago and she just turned two years old. In the beginning, she slept very well (on our bed between our feet) through the night until we woke up in the morning (~6am) then she started waking up earlier and earlier as the days went on. About 3-4 weeks after she arrived at our house she was waking us up anywhere between 3:30am-4:30am. She'd walk around the bed around our heads and if we didn't wake up, she would hit us on the head, stomach or thighs. Her "punching" became harder and harder. At first I was tempted to lower my voice and yell "no." Then we realized the best solution to any problem with a cat isn't to talk to him/her but to ignore silently. Negative attention is still attention to cats, and the ones who crave and love attention kind of enjoy this interaction. 

As tough as it was to lay dead in our bed while being wide awake, we had to do so. My hubby and I didn't even whisper to one another. Each morning that she woke up and gently assaulted us (lol I use the term endearingly), we pulled the cover over our heads and breathed heavily through our mouth so that she thought we were still sleeping. It took a few days, but it worked! She gave up trying to wake us up and she jumped off the bed and left the room. She was entertaining herself while trying to wake us up, but when we didn't respond, the fun was gone for her. 

Actually now that she's comfortable with the safety level of our house, she sleeps out in the living area alone, and we sleep with our bedroom door almost closed. She doesn't come into our room nor does she try to push the door open. She now waits patiently for one of us to wake up and open the door. 

I've always been against punishing cats i.e. with spray bottles or flicking on the nose, so I would never ever consider that. Try silently ignoring her, pull the cover over your head and pretend to be in deep sleep. It may take some time and patience, but I think your cat will eventually figure out that she needs to adjust her clock to her parents' clock. 

Keep us posted!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

krymarch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Coco,

I do realize that we could be better at consistently ignoring her, that would at least help prevent the behavior from getting worse.

My question along that line then, is what it means when you eventually get up at the appropriate time? For example, the other morning we put her out of the bedroom and closed the door around 4:30am. She continued to meow on-and-off (more on it seemed!) for the next hour or so, up to the point where I was getting up for work. However, how does she associate me finally getting up with it being the appropriate time versus her being successful at getting me up from meowing for an hour? That is one of the reasons I am hoping for additional advice in this quest, as ignoring her until the point when we have to get up seems to have the potential to reinforce her behavior, that if she simply meows/bothers us long enough, we will eventually get up!

Funny about your tabby "punching" you to get your attention. When Bagheera initially wakes up, she likes to lie across one of our neck's/faces and begins to "chirp" every few seconds or so. It's quiet, but enough normally to at least have us react by rolling over or sliding her off our neck. That's normally when she starts to escalate to meowing and leaping across the bed.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to second the ignoring the cat as much as possible advice. When I adopted my cat she needed to lose weight, so her food intake is carefully monitored and of course she gets very hungry about 4 hours before her next meal. Now, I am a very heavy, will sleep through fire alarms, sleeper. Delilah learned very quickly that meowing was not going to cut it, and she learned to bite to get a reaction. She accidentally trained me to ignore being bitten on my hands at 4 am, so she switched to biting my face. And I learned how to sleep through that, too, so she got so frustrated that she gave up. She's probably a bit disappointed how difficult her human was to train, but I inadvertently learned how to get her to rest quietly on the end of my bed until the alarm goes off and I get up to feed her.

For that reason, I would set an alarm every day whether you need it or not, and feed Bagheera immediately after the alarm goes off. And until that alarm goes off, do not react in the slightest to anything she does. If you're very consistent, she will learn that the only force in the world that can get you out of bed is that alarm clock, and she'll eventually give up. You will have to suffer through some long nights, so maybe earplugs would be a good idea in the meantime.

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thank you Coco,

I do realize that we could be better at consistently ignoring her, that would at least help prevent the behavior from getting worse.

My question along that line then, is what it means when you eventually get up at the appropriate time? For example, the other morning we put her out of the bedroom and closed the door around 4:30am. She continued to meow on-and-off (more on it seemed!) for the next hour or so, up to the point where I was getting up for work. However, how does she associate me finally getting up with it being the appropriate time versus her being successful at getting me up from meowing for an hour? That is one of the reasons I am hoping for additional advice in this quest, as ignoring her until the point when we have to get up seems to have the potential to reinforce her behavior, that if she simply meows/bothers us long enough, we will eventually get up!

Funny about your tabby "punching" you to get your attention. When Bagheera initially wakes up, she likes to lie across one of our neck's/faces and begins to "chirp" every few seconds or so. It's quiet, but enough normally to at least have us react by rolling over or sliding her off our neck. That's normally when she starts to escalate to meowing and leaping across the bed.
Hi again! I couldn't give you the right answer to what the "appropriate time" is, only your cat would know. However, try the same silent method consistently. The yowling should get shorter and shorter. And I really like Molly's advice about using an alarm clock. Let the alarm go off, then jump out of bed and give her lots of attention and petting. Cats are smart, and I'm sure she'll quickly start associating the alarm with your wake up time. I know it's exhausting, but don't get frustrated or discouraged. Things could be a lot worse than a cat who loves you so much that she wants that much attention from you.