Excessive yawning out of the blue

SunshineKitten00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, so yesterday I noticed that Kitten has been yawning excessively. This never happened before, she usually yawns when she is about to lay down etc but this time she's like doing it whenever.

I kind of brushed it off since there’s no apparent discomfort (in my eyes) but it hasn’t stop till today. She also did a lot of zoomies (like suddenly jumping and running very fast). She is neutered but I think still occasionally have heats (but doesn’t get pregnant until though) and I think currently is in heat (a male cat is subtly following her).

Do anyone know what might be wrong with her? Or is it just a normal cat behaviour?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Couple things:

1. once a cat is spayed, she should not be having heat cycles. If you think she is, then bring that up with your vet, as occasionally a bit of ovarian tissue may have been missed during the spay. This is rare, but can happen.

2. as for the excessive yawning, are you sure it's actual yawning, and not some sort of meowing pertaining to her heat like behavouir.

Since the yawning is a new behaviour, plus the situation with heat like symptoms, it might be wise to contact your vet and see if they think she should be brought in for a checkup.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SunshineKitten00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama I thought having faux/pseudo heat was normal🫠 I’m going to ask my vet on what to do.

I definitely think its yawning since before this every time she has pseudo heat she never acted this way before.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Strange about the yawning. Can't recall ever seeing that come up here before. But, yes, do talk to your vet about the faux/pseudo heat, and can't hurt to mention the yawning at the same time.