Excessive "nursing".. 5mo Old Bottle Raised Kitten

Travelersmomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I found my kitten Traveler (aka Trav) when he was about 2.5 - 3wks old (per the vet). He's 5 months old now and still nurses on my hands or on my shirt near my stomach. I know bottle babies tend to do it, but he's gotten almost obnoxious about it! Lol.. he slobbers all over and makes a loud sucking noise as he's doing it & tries to be pushy when he wants to "nurse" on me. He is getting neutered on the 19th as he thinks his dog sister Bella is ok to hump & has that hormonal smell to him. Will the neuter help settle down these behaviors or..? Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Travelersmomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! The neuter should help, and I think from what I've read, he'll grow out of the suckling behavior.
But, then again...
Kitten Suckling Obsession
I don't mind him doing it, but he gets so loud and when he does it on my shirt, he leaves a big wet mark on it even after just a few seconds. When he sits or lays w me, he seems to think he has to do it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
As mentioned in one of the posts, maybe try and get him something else to suckle on... A warmed washcloth?

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Getting my two that suckle on things spayed and neutered did not stop the behavior. They are 11 years old and still haven't outgrown it. The only suggestion I have is try to find something else for him to suck on. One of my likes blankets, stick that between you and the cat when he tries to suck on your shirt or hand. Or if you can find a material similar to your shirt that might work too, since he seems to like it.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one kitten who needed to suck on my finger several times a day. When there was no sign of stopping at one year old, I started weaning her by ignoring her for longer periods when she was ready for a suckle and allowing her to do it for shorter periods. It took a a couple months to get her fully off my finger.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My 5.5-month-old kittens have what we call a "mommy blanket," a super soft throw blanket that they love to knead, suckle, and sleep on. It can get pretty damp! Athena used to suckle on my tummy sometimes, but she's apparently outgrown that.

They were rescued at 1-2 days old, and we got them at 8 weeks. I hear it's a common behavior with very young rescues. I actually think it's adorable!

chunkykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my. I found this just now as my 11 week old kitten aggressively nurses at my arm crook, shoulder, neck, any exposed flesh! And of course mixes the entire time (ouch). He does this in the middle of the night, last night I had to pull the sheet over my head.

He is teething and so maybe I’ll try the damp cloth.