Excessive miaowing, especially after visiting toilet

pcornall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - we have a long-standing problem with our 8 year old female cat; she is incredibly noisy throughout the day, miaowing loudly regularly. Additionally, after every toilet visit she will charge through the flat at top speed whilst letting out several blood-curdling miaows.

She is deaf which probably doesn't help and is an indoor only cat. If the noise continues we are worried the neighbours will start to complain. She has been to the vets and appears to be healthy and has no problems appetite wise. She just seems to want to miaow at anything and constantly craves attention.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get her to be a bit quieter then we'd be really grateful as it is just too much(!).

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd imagine that a deaf cat would have difficulty in locating where their favorite people are, and it alone could cause some stress having limited awareness of their surroundings.

Meowing would be an attention getter so you can locate them.

If the deaf cat can't even hear their own meow, or it sounds very very quiet to them if they are just very hard of hearing rather than completely deaf, then the natural course of action is to meow very loudly.

I would focus research on the deaf aspect, since you've done a general checkup already.

Cats being spastic after making a good poop seems to be pretty common though. Seems to put mine and my coworkers kitties in a good frisky mood at least, which often involves sprinting and trills/meows, lol!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes. Poop runs
As long your vet has checked things out and said she's O.K., I wouldn't worry about it. If your neighbors complain tell them to shut up.