Excessive Licking?

ghostchant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi my cat has been licking off his fur for a while now. Does anyone have any idea why he's doing this? Is it boredom, or is he sick, or something else?

His whole under tummy is licked off, his back near the top of his tail is licked off, his back legs are all licked off, and his front arms are licked off. Any ideas?

Thanks

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As Susan said, there are numerous factors that will cause a cat to display this behaviour.

I definitely second the vet visit, as they will be able to find out what is wrong! It's a possibility that he could be stressed or it could be an allergy/eczema and your kitty is trying to stop the itching or irritation of the skin.

I hope you do make a vet visit! Please let us know how it goes!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Cindy was doing that, she would groom almost constantly. We took her to the vet, who gave her a shot of something, some antibiotics, and a flea treatment and she is much better now. I'm not sure in retrospect I would let the vet her the shot, but maybe it helped.

I would definitely take your cat to the vet, or at least try a flea treatment. The vet told me that it could be even 1 flea that I couldn't see that could cause it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ghostchant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, thanks everyone!