Excessive head scratching

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat started scratching his head progressively more and more nowadays. I noticed the fur on his head is also a bit patchy, like the skin is seen through in places. He scratches maybe 5-7 time daily and goes at it pretty agressively. Its mostly his head and neck, sometimes below ears as well. If that's allergy, he's started on a novelle protein recently, but could it be something else? He used to be an indoor-outdoor cat and I used to deworm him them, but now he's an indoor cat for more than a year, so I stopped deworming, could it be that, even if he doesn't go outside?
I got a deworming pill from the vet, it's called Milprazon and it treats cistoda and nematoda worms, but I am a bit afraid to give it, as my neighbours cat got a pretty bad reaction to a similar deworming pill. It is dangerous? Could it help with the scratching?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. It could be the food, given the timing - and, more likely so than worms, IMO. Can you go back on the food he was eating before and see if it stops? It might take as long for it to stop and it did to start once he was on the new food.

What is the weather like? Could it be from dry skin due to heating and more arid conditions in your home? That would be my only other guess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HI. It could be the food, given the timing - and, more likely so than worms, IMO. Can you go back on the food he was eating before and see if it stops? It might take as long for it to stop and it did to start once he was on the new food.

What is the weather like? Could it be from dry skin due to heating and more arid conditions in your home? That would be my only other guess.
I mean that i changed the food because I suspect allergy, due to frequent vomiting as well, so it's more like I switched the food because of these issues, vomiting and scratching. He is on the new food for a couple of days, but the scratching has been ongoing for a while, maybe 2 months. Probably the effects of the new diet will take time to work?

Should I give the deworming pill just in case? He used to get grass from the outside for some time. But for some reason I'm really afraid of giving it because of that case with my neighbours cat. Have you heard of cats getting a bad reaction to those pills?

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Ohh, and about the weather - yes, it is super dry in my apt, due to central heating. I myself am having issues. Musiaka has very thick underfur also, despite being a shorthaired cat

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could be fleas, could be fungae. Rule flees our by checking in sunlight, they like hot areas, like behind his neck where the shoulders and head meet, or under the chin. They can also cause allergies. I've not heard of worms causing itching, but Drontal is a dewormer I always choose for my cat and he never had issues with it.

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also skin mites can cause them. They are not visible with naked eye though, vet will need to check for them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I mean that i changed the food because I suspect allergy, due to frequent vomiting as well, so it's more like I switched the food because of these issues, vomiting and scratching. He is on the new food for a couple of days, but the scratching has been ongoing for a while, maybe 2 months. Probably the effects of the new diet will take time to work?

Should I give the deworming pill just in case? He used to get grass from the outside for some time. But for some reason I'm really afraid of giving it because of that case with my neighbours cat. Have you heard of cats getting a bad reaction to those pills?
It will take more than a couple of days if a food allergy was the cause. Some say it can take up to a couple of months to see a change. Although, the fact that he is not vomiting is a good sign.

I would not be inclined to randomly give any cat a wormer without cause. You do live in an apartment, so fleas or even mites might be something to consider - as said above. When I lived in an apartment, fleas were an issue. The cold weather might be having some owners bring in their cats more often, so maybe a bigger chance for fleas to spread. Taking a flea comb to look for them is the best way to find them, just have a dish of soapy water on hand to dip the flea comb in - that will drown any fleas you might find.

Since you are also being affected by the heating, you might consider a humidifier - for the both of you.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he's rubbing and scratching his ears and around his ears, it could be ear mites. I would get him to the vet for an ear check. You could take in a stool sample as well to see if any parasites are present.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Should something indicate that he has mites or is it completely impossible to detect something with naked eye? I inspected his skin, but it looks normal, no flaking or dandruff, no redness. Ears have a bit of a dirty look to them, although when cleaned, the cotton pad remains relatively clean looking. Is it possible to take a sample like to scrub his skin a little and get a vet to look at it for mites, or can it only be seen with Musiaka present at the vet?
Also, he has an insanely thick undercoat,maybe something to do with that?

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he's rubbing and scratching his ears and around his ears, it could be ear mites. I would get him to the vet for an ear check. You could take in a stool sample as well to see if any parasites are present.
Good idea with the stool sample, will do that for sure, especially as it doesnt require to have a long contact at the clinic (dire covid situation in my city...)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another consideration is yeast or other fungal infection in the ears which can look like mites. Our girl has a recurrent yeast infection in her ears (we are actually taking her to a dermatologist next week). These kinds of infections will cause itching of not only the ears, but around the face, under the chin etc.

Being as this has been going on for a while, sounds like a vet visit is in order.

And yes, it would take at least a couple of months to know if it was a food allergy when doing a novel diet. Plus one needs to be completely sure the suspected food is not hidden in the new food. Lots of chicken hides out in foods titled as other proteins but if you read the label, chicken will be in it in small amounts, but there nonetheless.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another consideration is yeast or other fungal infection in the ears which can look like mites. Our girl has a recurrent yeast infection in her ears (we are actually taking her to a dermatologist next week). These kinds of infections will cause itching of not only the ears, but around the face, under the chin etc.

Being as this has been going on for a while, sounds like a vet visit is in order.

And yes, it would take at least a couple of months to know if it was a food allergy when doing a novel diet. Plus one needs to be completely sure the suspected food is not hidden in the new food. Lots of chicken hides out in foods titled as other proteins but if you read the label, chicken will be in it in small amounts, but there nonetheless.
A vet visit is difficult right now due to covid... would it cause harm if I tried to apply some anti fungal or anti mite ear sollution? To see if it helps? If it is the wrong treatment, maybe it would still not do anything bad?
Thankfully, there is no chicken in the food he's getting right now, as it's a special food for detecting allergies. But yeah, I understand it will take a long time and patience to find out if its an allergy and if the scratching is also a symptom of that :/

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Why don't you try calling the vet and asking if there is anyway to collect a sample of what you find in his ears for testing without taking him into the vet. It might not be possible, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe also send a pic to the vet of what his ears look like, since you said they kind of look dirty? The vet might even suggest doing a treatment of some sort without the actual vet visit.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A vet visit is difficult right now due to covid... would it cause harm if I tried to apply some anti fungal or anti mite ear sollution? To see if it helps? If it is the wrong treatment, maybe it would still not do anything bad?
Thankfully, there is no chicken in the food he's getting right now, as it's a special food for detecting allergies. But yeah, I understand it will take a long time and patience to find out if its an allergy and if the scratching is also a symptom of that :/
One should never apply medications without vet approval. You have no idea what the problem is and could cause harm to the cat by doing so. I don't understand what the problem is getting a vet appointment. We have had no problem since the pandemic started. We may not be allowed inside most of the time but they sure are working normal hours and seeing patients. If you have a relationship with the vet, it may be useful to call and tell them how long it's been going on for and can they squeeze you in sooner than later.

What food detects allergies? I know of no such thing. Would you explain this?

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One should never apply medications without vet approval. You have no idea what the problem is and could cause harm to the cat by doing so. I don't understand what the problem is getting a vet appointment. We have had no problem since the pandemic started. We may not be allowed inside most of the time but they sure are working normal hours and seeing patients. If you have a relationship with the vet, it may be useful to call and tell them how long it's been going on for and can they squeeze you in sooner than later.

What food detects allergies? I know of no such thing. Would you explain this?
I need a cab to get there with Musiaka as it's quite far and none of the local cabs have a screen between the driver and the passenger and multiple other people as well. Despite being at the worst situation possible, people disregard masks and I have a chronically ill parent at home who cannot be exposed. I have been to the vet with Musiaka in early September, when covid wasn't raging, but the scratching wasn't present back then, so it wasn't tested. In the worst case scenario if Musiaka needed emergency vet, we would go, but most probably I would rent an apartment for 14 days to see, if I havent gotten covid. So it's tricky. Right now we talk on phone and I order stuff from the clinic (which works normal times) and get them at the door without entering.
It's not the food that detects allergies, it's a food for an elimination diet. It's a mono protein food with only 100% rabbit, there are other sorts available, so that you can try only one protein at the time with no additional ingredients. A European brand.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Why don't you try calling the vet and asking if there is anyway to collect a sample of what you find in his ears for testing without taking him into the vet. It might not be possible, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe also send a pic to the vet of what his ears look like, since you said they kind of look dirty? The vet might even suggest doing a treatment of some sort without the actual vet visit.
We talked, but yes, she is reluctant to try any medicine for his ears without checking them in person. A sample wouldn't work she said, as she needs to look into his ear. The only sample I could take there is a poop sample, we agreed that I will take it to them next week. So at least they will check for parasites

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We talked, but yes, she is reluctant to try any medicine for his ears without checking them in person. A sample wouldn't work she said, as she needs to look into his ear. The only sample I could take there is a poop sample, we agreed that I will take it to them next week. So at least they will check for parasites
Well, I see no harm in using chamomile tea bags if you have them - it's the standard grocery store variety tea bags which are mostly all German - you don't want English, nor any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid and then dab it on the areas where he is scratching, 2-3 times a day. The tea has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties and acts both as a soothing and healing agent. It is also safe should he ingest any. I am not suggesting it as a cure but it should help stop some of the itchiness, if nothing else.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I see no harm in using chamomile tea bags if you have them - it's the standard grocery store variety tea bags which are mostly all German - you don't want English, nor any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid and then dab it on the areas where he is scratching, 2-3 times a day. The tea has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties and acts both as a soothing and healing agent. It is also safe should he ingest any. I am not suggesting it as a cure but it should help stop some of the itchiness, if nothing else.
Oh great, thanks for the idea! Will try to get some chamomile tea :)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Musiaka Musiaka Goodness, that is a lot to deal with, so sorry it's so difficult for you. This pandemic has really messed things up and I fully understanding having to be cautious - my husband has underlying health issues and I'm always super careful when I'm doing grocery shopping and other errands. At least our vet is fairly nearby.

As already mentioned, maybe your vet will do a phone visit for you. If not, make an appointment for whenever it is possible for you to get there. It's probably not too serious but itching should be looked at.

As for the diet, I used a similar one but it was alligator for a cat I used to have. He had already eaten just about every protein out there so I had to find the most exotic available. It came from Australia. My cat stopped vomiting multiple times a day as soon as he started eating the alligator so clearly it was a food issue for him. I started adding back the less usual proteins little by little until I got to chicken and turkey and he immediately threw up. Bingo! Once we eliminated those 2 proteins he pretty much stopped throwing up all the time. It was pretty amazing and a huge relief but did take some months to figure it all out. Hopefully the food you're using will give as good results.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Musiaka Musiaka Goodness, that is a lot to deal with, so sorry it's so difficult for you. This pandemic has really messed things up and I fully understanding having to be cautious - my husband has underlying health issues and I'm always super careful when I'm doing grocery shopping and other errands. At least our vet is fairly nearby.

As already mentioned, maybe your vet will do a phone visit for you. If not, make an appointment for whenever it is possible for you to get there. It's probably not too serious but itching should be looked at.

As for the diet, I used a similar one but it was alligator for a cat I used to have. He had already eaten just about every protein out there so I had to find the most exotic available. It came from Australia. My cat stopped vomiting multiple times a day as soon as he started eating the alligator so clearly it was a food issue for him. I started adding back the less usual proteins little by little until I got to chicken and turkey and he immediately threw up. Bingo! Once we eliminated those 2 proteins he pretty much stopped throwing up all the time. It was pretty amazing and a huge relief but did take some months to figure it all out. Hopefully the food you're using will give as good results.
Ah, so great that you were able to figure it out for you cat! I'm hoping I will succeed with Musiaka as well, would be so nice to be done with all those issues once and for all. And yes, we will go to the vet as soon situation gets better here - right now we're the worst affected country in the world comparing new covid cases daily with the size of the population. It seems as if he was scratching a little less in the evening yesterday, after I cleaned his ears, but maybe its wishful thinking