Excessive cat drooling

lcws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

My Binx freaked me out just a bit last night & I was wondering if anyone had ever encountered this.   My one year old cat has, over the weekend, started acting really, really nervous & jumpy -- almost scared - for reasons I can't figure out.  He's strictly an indoor cat and there are four others in the house with us, none of them recently added.   He gets along great with them all.   But last night after he settled in my lap as usual for a nap, I noticed that he was drooling to such an extent that I had to get a towel and hold it under his chin, it was that bad.  We wracked our brains to figure this out.   He did not appear sick, his appetite was great, he had been playing with the other cats, and aside from just acting excessively nervous he seemed perfectly normal.   He got a clean bill of health just two weeks ago at the vet; his teeth and gums were in great shape and the vet said that this was the kind of cat he liked to see - normal, healthy, beautiful - the epitome of a perfect young cat.  We didn't change his food, we made sure no kind of chemicals or anyting had been left out that he could have gotten into, and we don't even have any houseplants.   He wasn't foaming -- if he had been, straight to the vet he would have gone.  But he seemed to feel fine, was snoozing contentedly in my lap, but the drool was just pouring out.   I've never seen this happen with a cat.   Has anyone else?  Does anyone have any insight?  Of course i started googling possible reasons and I came up with two repeatedly:   one was nausea, but I'm guessing if he was nauseated he probably wouldn't have eaten his dinner like a little piggie; the other was extreme stress - when I put that together with him acting so nervous all day, it made me wonder.   Yet again there is absolutely nothing that we can determine, nothing that is different anyway, as to why he'd be stressed all of a sudden.    Anyone have any ideas what could that have been about?   By the way, he's fine today.  Well, still a lilttle easily startled, but not drooling.   :)

Thanks so much!!!!!!

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi everyone,

My Binx freaked me out just a bit last night & I was wondering if anyone had ever encountered this.   My one year old cat has, over the weekend, started acting really, really nervous & jumpy -- almost scared - for reasons I can't figure out.  He's strictly an indoor cat and there are four others in the house with us, none of them recently added.   He gets along great with them all.   But last night after he settled in my lap as usual for a nap, I noticed that he was drooling to such an extent that I had to get a towel and hold it under his chin, it was that bad.  We wracked our brains to figure this out.   He did not appear sick, his appetite was great, he had been playing with the other cats, and aside from just acting excessively nervous he seemed perfectly normal.   He got a clean bill of health just two weeks ago at the vet; his teeth and gums were in great shape and the vet said that this was the kind of cat he liked to see - normal, healthy, beautiful - the epitome of a perfect young cat.  We didn't change his food, we made sure no kind of chemicals or anyting had been left out that he could have gotten into, and we don't even have any houseplants.   He wasn't foaming -- if he had been, straight to the vet he would have gone.  But he seemed to feel fine, was snoozing contentedly in my lap, but the drool was just pouring out.   I've never seen this happen with a cat.   Has anyone else?  Does anyone have any insight?  Of course i started googling possible reasons and I came up with two repeatedly:   one was nausea, but I'm guessing if he was nauseated he probably wouldn't have eaten his dinner like a little piggie; the other was extreme stress - when I put that together with him acting so nervous all day, it made me wonder.   Yet again there is absolutely nothing that we can determine, nothing that is different anyway, as to why he'd be stressed all of a sudden.    Anyone have any ideas what could that have been about?   By the way, he's fine today.  Well, still a lilttle easily startled, but not drooling.   :)

Thanks so much!!!!!!
It could be anything.  He may have eaten or attacked an insect in the home that had a bitter or venomous defense mechanism so he tasted that and his body was just trying to get rid of it.  Or he could be having an allergic reaction to something.  Just watch him closely and if any changes, notify his vet immediately!

canopener

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nausea is the first thing to come to mind, but, as the previous poster points out, there are lots of potential causes. And I have known cats who drool when relaxed/happy. If it's resolved, I would just keep an eye on him and see if it happens again. It would help your vet to keep a diary of when it happens: what and when he last ate, any behavior abnormalities, any associated symptoms.