Excess Shedding

vivvie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Our new cat Vivian sheds a lot, and her hair falls out in clumps. I have brushed her daily since she has been here with us in hopes it will help. I get a ton of hair out on the brush and she enjoys being brushed. I also just ordered a FURminator and I cannot wait to give it a try.

Is it possible that she is losing so much hair because she was at a shelter for so long and stress is the cause? She is a medium haired tabby, 4 years old.

Thank You,
Vivvie

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know what she was eating before? I've noticed that the really cheap foods cause a LOT of shedding. What are you feeding her?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may take a few weeks for her coat to settle down if you've put her on a better food.

When you get the furminator, only use it 1-2 times a week and for only a few minutes at a time. You can actually thin out the fur pretty severely with it if not careful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vivvie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi strange_wings and Willowy,

Thank you for your replies! She was just eating Science Diet (dry food) and I have her on Kitten Chow dry food and Fancy Feast moist food. The lady that we rescued our first two cats from recommended the Kitten Chow over the Science Diet. I am not sure why as I am sure Science Diet is better. I also give her cooked chicken or turkey mixed in with her food daily and cat treats. I feed all 3 of our girls this.

Does this sound like a good diet for them? I am not sure what is and what isn't...I am just going by what I was told/researched, but I would rather know what other cat owners think.

I will be sure to only use the FURminator 1 - 2 times a week than, thank you for the tip on that!

Take care,
Vivvie

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats are indoors, and when it's warmer like it is now they shed terrible no matter how much brushing they have.

I feed mine a mixture of James Wellbeloved, Orijen and Royal Canin kibbles (which isn't cheap), along with a good wet food but i've never noticed a change?

I just make sure their brushed as much as possible, because Sophie's fur becomes less coarse and greasy this way

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Short hairs tend to be worse at shedding than long or medium hairs, IMO. Especially when the season changes. Some, no matter how great the food will always shed. You could always try a fish oil supplement to see if it helps some.

Back to the OP. IMO kitten chow and regular science diet doesn't have that much of a difference in quality.
There are better foods and we have a nutrition section full of threads where you could read up on brands.
I would at least recommend a change from the FF - or FF only wet.
Feeding three cats on this can't be cheap and for the same price or a little less you can get better quality wet in bigger cans.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

You could always try a fish oil supplement to see if it helps some.
I'll pay you if you can get them to eat the salmon fish oil that i bought them!. They know when it's in their food and walk away like theres poison in it, even 3 drops!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Picky cats. They have you played.
There might be some other, more appealing tasting, supplements. I simply don't know what is offered over there. Maybe there's something in the form of a treat? And if not.. someone really needs to make a great tasting skin and coat treat that isn't full of garbage ingredients. Though usually they do more of that for dogs than they do for cats.
Check with your vet or see if any more local cat fancier groups know of anything?

nutrolori

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vivvie

Hi strange_wings and Willowy,

Thank you for your replies! She was just eating Science Diet (dry food) and I have her on Kitten Chow dry food and Fancy Feast moist food. The lady that we rescued our first two cats from recommended the Kitten Chow over the Science Diet. I am not sure why as I am sure Science Diet is better. I also give her cooked chicken or turkey mixed in with her food daily and cat treats. I feed all 3 of our girls this.

Does this sound like a good diet for them? I am not sure what is and what isn't...I am just going by what I was told/researched, but I would rather know what other cat owners think.

I will be sure to only use the FURminator 1 - 2 times a week than, thank you for the tip on that!

Take care,
Vivvie
First congrats on your newest addition!
Food can have a big impact on your cats skin & coat. The fatty acid content is important in keeping the skin and coat healthy, therefore helping to reduce the shedding. I feed my Chester Nutro Natural Choice Indoor Formula. It has great amounts of the fatty acids and he has been eating Nutro foods since I got him when he was 9 months old(he is 11 1/2 years old now). He has long hair and it is in great shape. Be sure with the food you feed it has a good amount of Linoleic Acid.

Brushing does help immensely with the shedding too. Vivian being a little stressed from being a new home can certainly attribute to some excessive shedding too.

I hope she is adjusting well. Congrats again!