Excess saliva and weird meow

boots

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vets closed at this time so just wanted to see what others thought until vet opens tomorrow my female three year old cat has very screw saliva and her meow is weird alot deeper she's still eating ect any ideas nyone ? And thank you in advance xx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

boots

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
THt meant excessive saliva autocorrect changed word it to point it's dripping from her mouth and around her whiskers is damp

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be a lot of things, bad teeth, bad gums, she could have ate a bug that disagreed with her- if she is an outside kitty, she could have ate something poison- hard to say- she might have something caught in her throat (would she let you look) You would need to gently try and pull her tongue out of the way and with a flashlight peer down her throat- or if you have some white bread, pull it into pieces soak it in some milk for about ten minutes then give it to her and see if she will eat it. That may force whatever might be caught in her throat down.

When she eats, does she lurch her throat?

boots

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She won't let us lean her mouth or look inside she's Dutch a laid back gentle
Cat but she won't let us near her appetite is same as always because there is three of them food gets guzzled down dry and wet food she does go outdoors at night through her own choice but we live in a very secluded quiet area with fields in front of our house she is very Mutch a hunter and we get all sorts left in the morning thank you for your response I worry bout least thing my other cat had his nose scratched and had to get antibiotic injection so I'm panicking bout this one now
x

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's good you are calling your vet tomorrow, incase this is something serious.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like she ate something bitter that made her saliva glands over-produce. But if this goes on for hours, it is something more than just that. My Perla and Perkins just the other day, ate some wet food off of my counter tops. I was actually preparing food for my outdoor ferals and these two kitties were on the counter insisting on eating some of it. So I placed a little on the counter for them to lick up. Moments later, I saw a white blur dash by with saliva flowing in the wind. I ran after her. She wouldn't let me near her, but I eventually snatched her up as she tried to race by me. I was in a state of panic thinking she was poisoned. I flushed out her mouth with warm water using a syringe. I did not want her to swallow the water so I held her face down over the sink. She recovered immediately and was totally fine. Although my heart was racing.

Perkins ate off the same counter as Perla did and he had no problem. I thought the food was bad. An then I REMEMBERED!!!!!!!!! I had just used a bleach cleaner on the counter's earlier. And Perla must have licked up some with the wet food. I felt like a negligent meowmy, but that is the only thing I could contribute the excessive saliva too. NOTE TO SELF!!!!! NEVER FEED CATS DIRECTLY ON THE COUNTER TOPS, USE THE CUTE LITTLE KITTY PLATES I BOUGHT... YIKES.

So, maybe your cat got something real yukky tasting in it's mouth. Call vet tomorrow if drowling is still going on. Could be a tooth, mouth infection, etc. Good Luck!!!

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It could be a bad tooth or something more serious like poisoning. Could she have eaten some plants or gotten into some kind of detergent? Feeding her bread soaked in milk is a good idea. Also keep a close eye on her and call the vet asap in the morning if it continues.
If kitty gets other symptoms I would take her to emergency vet if that's a possibility where you live. Just drooling though can just be a sign of having eaten something bitter.

boots

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies I'm happy to let u know jerry is fine next day she was back to normal. I took her to vet anyway just to check her over they do t half make u worry cats least thing and I panic x