Ewww

Maxxwell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently moved Killer in my feed room. I was losing so much money on feed because the rats were feasting on my dog food, rabbit feed, goat grains, goat feed, goat minerals, even hay was being taken. I tried traps nothing worked I finally gave up and got Zodiac and Killer. Killer pretty much stays in the feed room and will come in the main part of house to walk around. Since letting him roam and stay in the feed room the number of rats drastically dropped he's a killing machine. Problem is the last couple of kills he's been eating them sometimes he'll eat half of them or he'll just eat the head but today he basically skinned the rat and just left the skin for to clean up. He's not hungry he is free fed and has food available 24/7 and I see him eating all through out the day. Is there a way to stop him from eating them? Should I worry that he eats them?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mean, a lot of people have cats who are good at keeping the mice and rats away. Its not that eating them is in itself unhealthy... just make sure to check fecals regularly, deworm them regularly and the biggest concern is probably that no one is leaving out poison for the rats. Neighbors I mean.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two cats are mouse-killing machines, too. No mouse lasts 24 hours in my house. Mingo ate his kills for a long time, but they have both quit now. Maybe your Killer will get tired of the taste too.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raw meat is good for them. Just make sure nobody in the area has poison out, and de-worm him regularly. That's what cats are supposed to eat after all!

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's pay back for all of the stuff they ate. Since they have feasted so much on everybody's else's food they are probably nice and plump and juicy. Prime grain feed vermin, It doesn't get much better than that to a cat.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can I just say I’m a tiny bit jealous (well kind of, then again yuck)? Sadie has, to my knowledge, seen one mouse and she ran away from him

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Besides being nourishing vermin can be very entertaining also. I watched two of my expert mousers play mouse pong for several minutes once. One of them had found a mouse and trotted into an open graveled area and put it down thus placing it in play. As soon as it was let go it ran from its captor. However the other player in the game had taken up the play position opposite to the server at this time. When the mouse got within playing distance he was pushed to the ground by an expertly executed overhead whack. The mouse realized he was being played and turned back in the direction he came from, right back to the server who blocked his advancement with a twitchy paw. This game went on for several volleys until a third gamer decided to enter the play. When the mouse reached mid court the third player, unable to contain his exuberance at being allowed to play, streaked in and grabbed the rapidly tiring mouse and disappeared under a car where he initiated his own new game called "crunch, your dead". With no central game piece left moving the other participants went about trying to recruit a new fresh game piece. However no other relatives volunteered to take the place of the expired game piece and the activity was left for another day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maxxwell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the replies. I definitely understand why he's eating them they are huge, country rats are already big and then throw in the fact that they've been feasting on all my feed for months you've got some giant rats. I don't think anyone is poisoning them as everyone has pets and livestock around me and I don't think they would want to risks their animals. I'm going to ask just to be sure though. He doesn't play with them he straight kills them I can usually hear the ruckus he makes as soon as he catches one and I would hurry and grab them but with these last kills he grabs them and disappears so by the time I get there I have no clue where he is or where he put his kills. Zoey kills more silent and quickly then she shows off her kill by throwing around the body so proud of her skills :flail: