Eww cat ate own vomit.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Exactly what the title says, Indy ate too fast, threw up and then ate it again... really gross... why do cats do such gross things

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because they are animals, they do most things by instinct. It came up so fast it probably was not changed much in smell, etc. so it was just food to them! I am suer we did the same thing eons ago, before we became 'civilized'!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Artie did that... It was gross.. I am grateful that Geoffrey does not.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is an animal without hands supposed to bring food back to its young except in its stomach. Eagles do this. So do penguins. Wolves do it. Dogs do this. As it mentions in the bible, Proverbs 26:11-12, Like a dog that returns to its vomit, a fool does the same foolish things again and again.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They pretty much all do that.

Mine sometimes throw up if breakfast is late and they rush too fast. When that happens, the food is basically intact and its not even that gross. Often much grosser if it happens in other circumstances though.

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dewey has done that. Really gross! But I guess I'm grateful cause I didn't have to clean it up!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I found another wet spot this morning. At least its easier to just spot clean the rug. I did not see either cat eat it but found out bond plays soccer with his furballs.... He is a kitten though.

It is full force coat blowing season here right now and Indy hates being brushed.

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use the Bissell Pet vacuum. It works great to suck out all the gross stuff out of rugs and carpets.
images (4).jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure a hand vac is the best thing to suck up moisture with. Plus the impeller would just mash it all up and make a huge mess of the machiene.

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure a hand vac is the best thing to suck up moisture with. Plus the impeller would just mash it all up and make a huge mess of the machiene.
You're able to take it apart and clean it out. Make sure you get the pet one though.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't forget that dogs and cats might instinctually eat their own vomit and/or feces as a means of keeping their presence hidden from predators.

If a cat horks up a pile of half-digested food and leaves it lay, some other animal like a coyote might come along and be alerted to the cat's presence, putting the cat into potential jeopardy. The wise cat, wanting to hide its presence from such danger might, very well, want to "clean up its own mess."

This isn't always true but it happens often enough that humans should keep it in mind.

Our cat, Casper, throws up on occasion. When he does, he often looks up at us humans with a scared expression. Then, when we get out the Dr. Bronner's soap to clean it up, he seems to calm down.

I've never been able to figure out whether Casper acts that way because of his instinct to avoid predators or whether he's afraid his humans will punish him. Either way, Casper still shows a lot of signs of stress when it happens.