Evil?

studio224

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Debby
One of my best friends, Shannon, who posts sometimes on here, is pregnant....she told me about the litter pan thing.....I had never heard that before......I didn't quite understand it, but was glad she was being careful, and taking precautions.....but thank you Anne-Clair, for explaining it to all of us!!!!!!!
When I was pregnant I did a lot of research on that... In Come to think of it If I am curious about something I always do a lot of research

Anne-Claire

cleo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had my son (22 years ago) we had a cat who used to climb into his crib and lay next to him. Several times I caught her licking his mouth and chin, I assume because of the smell of milk?
This is probably (maybe) where that Wives Tale stems from?

She never stole his breath, smothered him, or even scratched him, so I kept them both!

Cleo

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was pregnant with my first child I had a siamese. My ob/gyn HIGHLY suggested that I get rid of the cat for my own health ( the risk of toxoplasmosis from the litter ), and for the safety of the newborn. My husband agreed and we let a loving family take her. I am not sure if that was the "right" thing to do. I am sure I would have been fine, but I have to say I was not about to put my child at risk in any way, shape, or form. When I asked my pediatrician, they agreed that a cat maybe wasn't the proper pet for a newborn, and definitly not for a pregnant woman.
Now after two kids, and 6 years later,m y opinion today is JUST BE CAREFUL. Try to let someone else do the litter and just be very cautious when the baby arrives. I'm sure it will all be fine. Good luck!!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I tested negative for toxo
Goes to show that cats are not so infective. After 2 decades of cats and their feces I have not caught it. The main cause of toxo in humans is uncooked meat, followed by contact with contanimated soil (either working in the garden or eating unwashed vegetables). I once read there wasn't even one case where they proved that a human caught toxo from cats!

Anyway, I would have been happier had I tested positive. It would have meant that I were immuned. Toxoplasmosis is a terrible thing to have when pregnant as it can cause horrible defects in the baby. I am extra careful now - I don't touchuncooked (or semi-cooked) meat, I don't work in the garden and I let hubby clean the litter box.

I'm sorry to say that most doctors don't really know what they're talking about. I really appreciate my OB - he's really good and he didn't tell me to get rid of the cats - just to avoid the litter box. He also suggested that I keep the cats indoors only because he was afraid they might catch toxo themselves from cats outside. As is happens, it is not infectious between cats... as I had to explain to him. We do keep them inside to prevent them from hunting which is how they might get toxo.

My mother in law is worried about the cats getting on top of the cats. I just tell her that if we absolutely must, I'm sure we can find the baby a good home

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

simon's mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL find the baby a good home!
I also have indoor cats and they have not found any mice in the home. I never knew I was not to work in the garden.
I do it all the time. I wash my hands very well after doing this the same as I do after changing the litter box. I put bleach in it when I change the litter. I just feel if I rince it with hot water and bleach it is cleaner.

mr. cat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If anyone bothers you again with an evil-cat story, try one of these responses:

"Oh, are you one of those television evangelists?"

"Yeah. That's funny. Have you heard Mormons have horns? Did you know all Japanese need glasses? How about that business of the Pope taking over the world? What about those oil wells every American owns? It's incredible what people think, isn't it?"

"Oh, are you a doctor too?"

"I'm descended from a clan of saber-toothed tigers myself, so it's okay."

=^..^=

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

simon's mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL!!! Mr. Cat that is so funny I will try that next time.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If none of Mr. Cat's responses will work, the next time someone offers a stupid piece of advice just say:

"Oh! I'm sorry...you must have mistaken me for someone who gives a d*** about what you think!"

sunlion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or the oh-so-diplomatic version, "Thank you, I'll give that every bit of consideration it deserves." If you manage to say it with a straight face, the other person often feels complimented! (Nothing like messin' with their little minds)