Everytime I come home, I find throw-up!!!!

badhabit

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cbruewer Science diet isn't bad for cats. A co-worker of mine has had her 3 cats on it since they were kittens and they're almost 20! It may just be the formula they use that doesn't agree with your cat.

Be careful of constantly switching her food all the time. This can cause more of an upset than anything. As I've said in other posts there is negative stories about every brand of food and you know all this research on what food is better is all funded by food companies because they want you to buy their food. So if you find a food that agrees with your cats digestive system and her coat, skin and her overall health is in exellent shape then go with it.

No matter what food you put her on there will be someone who says it's bad, or that food almost killed my cat or this food is better ect.

If you want a suggestion on a good food, that personally I have not had my animals on but several clients at work do and have worked wonders for sensitive stomachs is IVD. It's a bit pricey and it's only sold through veterinarians(I think) but the reviews have been good.

vikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a note on Maxximum Nutrition as marketed by Walmart - I did a bit of research and thought I had found the answer for a good, inexpensive food. The ingredients looked pretty good compared to regular foods and 'almost premium' foods. But, when I told my vet what I was feeding the cat, he told me that it's better to feed the cat a big brand name because there is more consistency with the production of the food that way.

I also recall reading that Maxximum Nutrition dog food was responsible for the deaths of a number of dogs due to a toxic mold that ended up in the production process. But, I think this could happen at any plant.

I still feel that the bottom line in choosing a food is to look at the ingredients (to make sure by-products, corn, etc. aren't the main ingredients). Unless your cat has health problems, he/she will probably be alright with almost anything out there
. If your cat has health issues, then I think it helps to get ideas from others (like the people here!) and vets who have had good results from certain foods.

angelzoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BadHabit: Yes Science Diet does work for some, I'm not denying that. What I was saying is there is many foods better than SD.
It is true that what works best for your cat is the food you should use.

Vikki: About the Maxximum Nutrition... hmmm when it comes to vets and nutrition, take everything they say with a grain of salt. I really wish some of you had been on Acme, they are sooo imformative there. Anyway, I know many many many ppl who use the Maxximum Nutrition (for cats) and have not had any bad results ever. I do not know about dogs however, so that might have been true. I currently feed Maxximum Nutrition Kitten, to a cat here, and to my ferret

vikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
AnglezOO. You won't hear any arguments from me about what brands of food to give kitties. As I said, I think cats can do well on most foods

The vet I go to may not know a whole lot about nutrition, but he has never tried to push a certain brand of food on me. As a matter of fact, he said that there are so many acceptable foods out there that he doesn't even try to recommend anything (unless the cat has special needs).

I sort of see his point about a bigger brand being more consistent with production of food. But, just because it makes sense doesn't mean it's a proven point

I ended up picking a food based on ingredients, and my cat seems to be happy enough. He had some tummy troubles when I first got him so we went through a few foods. I didn't want to tempt fate by switching foods too often
so I stuck with one and he has been doing ok. Lucky for me that he was a piggie so he wasn't picky!

angelzoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL. Yeah, that happens too often, even with the big companies, where formulas will change from batch to batch. Lately we've had problems with Totally Ferret food. And they are a big manufacturer.

I find myself lookign at ingredients all the tiem at stores, I"m there FOREVER, the ppl who work there must think I'm nuts and can't figure out what Im doing.
Theres one nice store around here.. the lady asked me what I was doing one day, and I told her "oh I'm just a nutrition freak".
So when I got the counter she gave me like a crap load of food samples for free, it was awesome
And she told me something I didn't know about food as well.