Ever uprooted and moved overseas?

wickedkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furbum

I'll be dragging the cats to the UK in September. I don't have any experience moving them anywhere yet so it is a really big deal. The whole defra pet scheme in house quarantine deal, blood drawing, shots, eurochips, pet passports/certificates, tick and tapeworm treatments, etc, is really a pain but better than having the poor dears go into forced quarantine for 6 months upon arrival!

My biggest concern is the flight. I'm trying to find the least stressful way to do this. I wish I could just put them both under the seat, but it seems that most airlines have a one in-cabin pet per passenger restriction.

Good luck with your move!
If you have a pet passport along with your up to date vaccination cert, and your cat is microchipped and has had a blood test, you shouldn't even need to quarantine them in house now or worry about tick treatments if you are moving here.

I've moved overseas quite a bit in my life. From the US to the UK when I was 3 (dad is Scottish), back to the US when I was 18 for uni, and then back to the UK when I was 22 (met a bloke who I've been with for the past 8 years almost) followed by moving to different countries in mainland Europe.

I actually consider myself quite lucky to have lived in as many places in as many countries as I have considering I've not even hit 30 just yet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Whisky has always been a pretty calm cat. I'm going to try to get him in the cabin with me. The problem is he is fairly large cat and I wouldn't want to be cramped in a box for 14 hours! I might end up having to put him in the baggage hold so he can get a bigger kennel. The in-cabin measurements are 22" l x 14" w x 9" high. I've heard that sedation is generally frowned upon, especially in older cats.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, the baggage hold doesn't sound so bad after all. Given how hard it is to squeeze my carry-on under the seat, I can't imagine squishing one of my cats under there! A bigger kennel will give him some room to stretch out in - hey, he'll probably have a more comfortable flight than you!
Personally, I'd go with British Airways as they do have a very good reputation generally.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I moved from England to Canada and do intend to move back home at some time. You do learn a lot by moving abroad to study / work / live and I wouldn't give up the opportunities I have had abroad for anything, but 5 years later I am still homesick