Ever lock up your cats?

janey83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Even though i have got a cat, im allergic to him. I'd never lock him away just coz people are coming over!
My bro's mate is allergic to cats too n when he comes over we just leave my cat to do what he pleases! It aint the cats falt!

But the only time my cat gets locked up is when its night time! we keep him in the kitchen, coz if we dont he will wake us up in the middle of the night.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every night. Their bunkbeds, food & water are in the bath-laundry room(Also their litter in a closet in there. )
Also if company comes with with rowdy kids...Toby will run and get in his bed...and then I close the bathroom door cause i know he wants to get away from them ...and then the kid(s) are not allowed to mess with him.
I don`y know why he`s always been afraid of kids....I don`t know of one who ever did anything to hurt him....think maybe it`s cause he was`nt around them much as a kitten????

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh...also "LOCKED" them in a bedroom once...(with all their necessities of course)...when we had an Open House. I could`nt shut them in their bathroom...for obvious reasons...but was afraid someone might accidently let them get outside. They had their cat perch next to the window and seems quite content

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only time Rosie and Sophie are locked up is if i'm at work and thats in the guest room, aka " their room ", but they have everything there such as litter trays, food, water, toys.

The reason being, i set the alarm on the house for downstairs, but when i'm there and anyone comes to visit it's their house so they can stay where they want

evnshawn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We lock Ozzy up at night because he has this annoying habit of whacking the metal miniblinds over and over with his paws, which makes an incredible racket. Also, he likes to groom us at night. Specifically our hair. Apparently it's not tidy enough for him.

pepper girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I very rarely "locked" up Pepper. Only if we were moving and she had to be locked in the bathroom or she'd be underfoot and out the door
Pixie was locked in the spare room when she was first brought home, we had to make sure she was healthy (being a stray) before coming in contact with Pepper. My Mom has allergies and even when she comes to visit I don't lock my babies up, it's not fair to them that she has allergies. I just sweep, vaccum and Mom has her allergy spray..it's all good.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I rarely need to lock up my three unless it's for their own safety, like when I new carpet installed in part of the house last year. They usually hide or pretty much stay out of the way when company comes.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More times than I want to admit.
I feel bad when I do it, but its for their safety. When we weere having repairs done from last years hurricanes, workers had to be in the house when we were at work. I wouldn't trust them to be sure not to let them out, so I secured them in the bed/bath area. They "dig" on the carpet near the door, but I'd rather replace the carpet than take the chance of losing one of my babies!

When Oliver was a kitten, he was locked in a bedroom while furniture was being delivered. He wanted to get out so bad that he pushed his little nose against the bottom edge of the door so hard, it began to bleed.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had to have workmen in last year to replace drywall & flooring. So I definitely locked the boys in the bedroom. When the carpet guy came, he needed the bedroom door open 'cos the carpet extended under it. So the cats were roaming around. Pushy hid under the bed - he's much more wary of strangers than Wiggies. Wiggies just made friends with him and "helped" him lay the carpet! It was in a big roll on the floor, and of course Wiggies loves a good tunnel! Then the carpet guy was on his hands and knees to install the carpet, so up jumps Wiggies onto his back to play!
Luckily, the guy really seemed to like him.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When Oliver was a kitten, he was locked in a bedroom while furniture was being delivered. He wanted to get out so bad that he pushed his little nose against the bottom edge of the door so hard, it began to bleed.
Poor little dude! He must really hate being locked up!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Poor little dude! He must really hate being locked up!
I know. I felt soooooo bad. He's gotten a lot better since then. Now he just tears the carpet up.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

Awww...poor little guy!!

I only lock Harley in my room when I am cleaning and I really don't want him to get into the stuff I'm using...he usually doesn't mind, he'll sit in my bedroom window and watch the birds (we have geese around our apartment buildings lake that sometimes come up around our building-he always freaks out while watching them!!
) until he is let out again!

prosperity

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently moved and locked Samuel up for a whole day. He was not a happy camper.

I have to lock him up over night because he grooms me all night. LOL

janine&lily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i couldnt do that,lily would scratch the door down,its bad enough when shes trying to get in the bedroom at 7.00am!

graykittenlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Never, my cats are experts at hiding if someone is here they don't like or don't want to see
Gandalf is just like that. He hides from everyone except me though. I have to charm him out from under the bed even when it's people he knows and likes.

Samwise on the other hand has never met a stranger. He comes running when I open the front door.

I don't lock the cats up unless I have some kind of maintence people coming to the apartment. I'm afraid one or the other of them might wind up outside, not a chance I'm willing to take. Other than in that case, my apartment is their home, anyone who wants to come visit will just have to deal with it. Or if they're alergic, I do keep clartin on hand (mainly because I have alergies) or we can meet somewhere else.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not going to make my mother, who lives out of state meet me somewhere, nor will I close my home to her, or endanger her life with my pets.
I will lock them in the bedroom.
She's in her 70s, has heart disease (implanted defribulator), chronic bronchitis and accute allergies.
I will not hand her medication not already on her lengthy list of medications for fear of drug interaction.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our spare bedroom is the "cat room" - furnished with cat trees, scratching posts, beds, a radio, their fountain, and lots of toys. The cats go in there at night (we don't let them in the bedroom because we're both allergic to cats, as much as I'd love to sleep with them
). It's a part of their evening routine - after a good play session & some snuggle time with each cat, I open a can of food for them & feed it to them in their room so they can eat and then settle down for the night. They're so used to it now that if we're up later than usual the cats will start meowing at me and leading me toward their room, to remind me to keep with the routine. And of course sleeping late is not allowed - they start meowing to be let out if I'm late to open the door in the morning.

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cupid stays is his room when I'm not home because it's the safest room in the house and because I don't want to take the chance that my roommate will accidentally let him out. He just gets in his bed and sleeps, plays with his toys, or sits in the window--basically what he does when I'm here except without me. It's a pretty good size and he has a bathroom to play in as well. (he enjoys the acoustics in there
) I'll feel better when I get him a companion, but as it is I try not to be gone for more than a few hours at a time except on Shopurdays. Luckily no one I know is allergic to him and he enjoys the extra attention when they come over!