Ever give your cat a bath?

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In soap and water? 
Nope and the oldest is 15.  None of them have ever had a bath.  They *have* gotten various body parts rinsed with warm water from time to time when they've gotten into something or maybe had a bout of diahrrhea that stuck to their fur.  Now and then I have wiped them down with the kitty wipes but that's it.  All 4 of mine are very clean and odor free without my interferrence - most of the time anyway

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first cats (when I was a kid) were bathed weekly because my mom read somewhere that it could prevent you from being allergic to the cats. I don't think any of us WERE allergic but hey, why not? :lol3: I think they kind of liked the baths. And all the kitties I raised as orphan bottle babies needed frequent baths when they were first learning to eat solid food. But I haven't bathed an adult cat in years.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NOT soap! Yes I've bathed my cats in warm to lukewarm water and cat shampoo. They have never scratched or bit me. They meow a lot though.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are bathed several times a year and have been from kitten hood.

I also bath kittens before they go to their new homes. None of them have ever minded and will happily stand there while I shampoo and rinse them.

I just put them in the bath without water and use a shower hose connected to the bath taps, of course using cat shampoo not just soap. 

being shorthairs they don't require a dryer or any combing, just lots of cuddling in a towel afterwards then they dry in the sunshine.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All the time.  Comes with the territory in this breed, some need weekly, some can get away with once every two weeks.

Last edited:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
My cats get baths before a show, with special cat shampoo. The cats who don't go to shows don't get baths unless they manage to get really dirty somehow (like exploring the inside of the wood burning stove while I'm cleaning out the ashes).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

malla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After I give the cats a bath, I wrap them in the thickest, fluffiest towel and hold them for about 10 minutes so the towel absorbs most of the water. I kiss them up and cuddle them and they usually purr like a motor. LOL After about 10 minutes, I put them down and let them dry themselves. In the winter, I crank the heat up to about 85 because one gets cold easy. 

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave my first bath to a cat a few weeks ago actually. Well, it was a 5 month old kitten in reality. It was a nightmare! He got so scared he pooped the water... :mad:
Even with draining the water, washing him a second time in Dawn Dishwashing Liquid, he still smelled like poop for a week.

Po' lil' fella'... Him wuz scurrd! :D

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nope and the oldest is 15.  None of them have ever had a bath.  They *have* gotten various body parts rinsed with warm water from time to time when they've gotten into something or maybe had a bout of diahrrhea that stuck to their fur.  Now and then I have wiped them down with the kitty wipes but that's it.  All 4 of mine are very clean and odor free without my interferrence - most of the time anyway :D
:yeah: Unless you have show cats, have kittens that are transitioning from weaning, or a cat that as mentioned above has a specific issues, I don't think they're necessary. Cats are fastidious groomers, they keep themselves clean, and all a bath does is stimulate them to lick themselves all over. Our cats do not get baths!

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes. I have bathed 4 different cats and none of them pooped in the water. 

They don't like it, but they don't totally freak out either.

Check youtube for instructional videos.

I give my cats baths once every couple of months when they seem dirty - they start getting oily/dandruffy spots.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are self cleaning animals and do not need immersion baths unless they have gotten into something that they can't wash off, or that it would be dangerous for them to wash off, on their own.

I have had to bathe a cat on three or four occasions over the past 30 years, when a cat was soiled due to illness, once when a cat fell in a pan of motor oil, or in one case, absolutely flea ridden kitten.

Generally speaking, immersion baths are very drying to the skin, strips the natural oils, and causes unnecessary stress. If a cat needs to be cleaned up a bit, or to control the dander which is what causes allergies in humans, usually wiping down with a damp cloth, or wet combing, is sufficient.

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"baths are very drying to the skin, strips the natural oils" - Wrong. It is soap that is drying and strips natural oils

No one here has provided evidence that the occasional bath is harmful in any way.

I believe it is helpful/beneficial to occasionally bathe cats, but I'm not going to pretend like I know that for a fact.

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I can also identify when others are propounding their opinion, even when they try to pass it off as fact.[/color]

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yes. I have bathed 4 different cats and none of them pooped in the water. 
They don't like it, but they don't totally freak out either.
Check youtube for instructional videos.
I give my cats baths once every couple of months when they seem dirty - they start getting oily/dandruffy spots.
If they're getting oily/dandruffy spots, either they're not grooming properly themselves, or you should examine the diet you're feeding them. Cats that groom properly and eat a diet that agrees with them don't get oily/dandruffy spots.

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lol. More unsubstantiated opinion.

Why do some people have oily skin and dandruff? Why hasn't modern medicine found a definitive cure for that in humans?

Anyway, my cats go outside and roll around in dirt and walk under cars. The issue I discussed is not severe. I have never seen any adverse affects from bathing my cats. 

I do not think one should bathe their cats more than once a week - that seems like a little much, but many people do. If you do bathe your cats you should use a very mild soap preferably one made for cats.

Who ever reads this can take my personal experience for whatever it's worth.

Last edited:

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Parker only had baths when he had fleas. He cries and whines about it but doesn't fight it. Buddy had to have a bath after going to the vet and had diarrhea all over himself in the carrier. Never again, unless he REALLY needs it. He turned into tazmanian devil and had everything in the bathroom in the tub with him. 
 My roommate looked like she was attacked by a tiger. lol

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Wilbur was healthy, I was able to wipe poop off his butt with a wet paper towel while he was lying on the cat tree. (Of course he did not like that.)

But when Wilbur had diarrhea, I knew that would not be enough. I put him in the kitchen sink, but he kept trying to get out. So I had no choice but to put him in the tub. He did not exactly fight me, but did put his head in my pajamas, trying to put his whole body under the top. When I was done, I could tell Wilbur felt better, even though his butt was soaking wet.