Ever find a whisker in the poop?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Queen Eva somehow ingested one of her own whiskers, and it was in her poop today. What a strange sight! It was acting as a thread holding all the little pieces of stool together. Weird.

I wouldn't have thought it could, but.....could a whisker potentially cause a problem for a cat?

The thing is, she had gone longer than normal without a poop, and the poop contained about twice as many pieces as usual for her.Her poops are usually 3 or 4 sectioned tiny pieces every 36 hours or so, but she went almost 3 days, and 7 or 8 pieces.

Last edited by a moderator:

cruzing101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish my car pooped that little. He poops like 3-4 times a day. Also no on the whiskers but I have found little pieces of paper in there b4

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not normal for a cat to poop that much. How old is he? What are you feeding him? My cats are on a raw and canned diet, so they don't have a lot of poop.

m and js mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats eat all sorts of queer things.  My male tabby eats the corners off of cardboard boxes and the bits of cardboard show up in the litter box.  I stopped worrying about this stuff a long time ago.  Remember they lick themselves in order to keep clean.  Its no surprise to see hair (furballs) or whiskers in their stools.  My female has long hair and has trouble with her fur balls so she gets a "lick" of Laxatone once a day and this takes care of her problem.  She comes to me to get it when she wants it and so if a day goes by without it I assume she doesn't need it that particular day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would urge you to stop giving the laxatone, it is very bad for cats. It interferes with nutrient absorption, reduces motility, and petroleum (the active ingredient) is toxic, it was never meant to be ingested by cats (or any other living being for that matter).

Since you have been giving it "every day" you will have to wean your cat off it, because the body develops a physical dependency for it. There are much better ways to help control hairball formation in a cat's digestive system.

Hair in the stool is common, that is the way it is supposed to come out. I just had never found a whisker before so thought it worth mentioning.

I also have cardboard box chewers and paper chewers. :).