Ever do this???

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, yeah, I count. I figure if I can pay attention to how many items I have, and get in the right line, I'm entitled to notice whether others do -- and if there's an opportunity to comment without making a scene, I do -- usually just a sarcastic aside to the next person in line. Too often, though, it isn't until the offender has unloaded their stuff that it becomes apparent, and then it's a bit of an issue for them to move elsewhere, so they don't. I wonder if they ever take the comment to heart and mend their ways.

As for the person with one item -- I like it when someone with more stuff lets me take my one item through ahead, so yes, I do invite the person behind me with one item to go ahead.

ccoccocats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, I got one. I was at Kohl's the other day returning something at Customer Service. There were two women in front of me. Anyway, the first woman turns and says to the woman who is in front of me, "Could I just go get something real quick?" and the woman says "Sure", well that woman came back with several garments and a pair of shoes, plus what she originally was carrying. When it was her turn at the counter she had one return, and asked "Could I pay for the rest of these here or do I have to go up front?" So of course they let her pay for it there.

Sure why don't we all try that one?

From now on...... I think I'll go to Shop Rite, put my empty basket on line, wait for someone to come behind me, and then say, "Excuse me,
do you mind if I go get something" and then I'll come back
with all the groceries I planned on buying. This way I avoided waiting in lines too!

mamacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ccoccocats

From now on...... I think I'll go to Shop Rite, put my empty basket on line, wait for someone to come behind me, and then say, "Excuse me,
do you mind if I go get something" and then I'll come back
with all the groceries I planned on buying. This way I avoided waiting in lines too!
Actually, at one of the supermarkets by me they have one line that feeds into about 6 cash registers and people are always doing things like that. A couple will come in and one of them will get on line with, like, a loaf of bread, and the other will take a cart and go do all the shopping. Or--I love this one--the line runs right by the deli counter, so one person will try to stand in the checkout line and the deli line at the same time, but sometimes the checkout line moves faster, so it'll be almost their turn to ring out and they'll be like, "I'm on line, I'm just waiting for something..." Uh, no, you're still shopping. When you're done shopping, then you can get on line.

kathryn41

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mamacat

Uh no, I don't do that. I rarely have a lot of stuff, but if I do, I will ask the one item person if they want to go in front of me. The thing I don't like is when a person with one item will see all your stuff and actually ASK to get in front of you. Then I'll usually tell them to go to the express line.
If I have a number of things and someone comes up with just one or two items, I will usually let them go first - even if they ask, unless I am in a hurry. I have had people do the same for me, and it doesn't really 'cost' me anything. If someone habitually takes advantage of other people's kindness like this, I consider it their problem, not mine:-).

Kathryn

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've done that but I have also been in the express lane with a full cart. :anon

Well, the truth of the matter is, I am way out in the boondocks and the only lane open is the express lane. So its not entirely my fault, and also, sometimes when I go past the express lane, and it is not busy, the cashier in the express lane will tell me to come to hers if she is not busy. I hope that doesn't count.