Evacsak

fluffypanda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

We recently went through a minor earthquake and while in the middle of digging through the closet for the carrier I realized I needed a much quicker way to get my cat out of a dangerous situation. I looked online for an emergency carrier that was small (we live in a tiny apartment so space is at a premium) and found the EvacSak by EvacPet.

It looks like the perfect emergency carrier, but I can hardly find any information about it online. There are no forum posts, reddit threads, etc. So my question is if anyone has it - what do you think of it? Are there better alternatives? Thank you so much for your help!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've had the exact same thought - evacuating the Big Guy in a hurry is going to be extremely challenging, so anyone who might have input regarding this, I'm also very interested. I'm considering the cat in the bag for easier "corralling" for vet visits, but I'm not completely clear yet on how it functions/if it would be valid for this type of situation, if it'll hold up against therizinosaurus claws, etc.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did an online search on "EvakSak by EvacPet" and found a couple of uninformative references to it, plus this video:

Now, I happen to have a soft-sided cat/small dog carrier, and every cat I've tried to use it with fights against being put in it because they seem to have the feeling that the sides and top are likely to collapse down on them, and this is with an extremely well-designed carrier with windows made of netting and a hard internal floor. I can't imagine Jasmine allowing me to put her in an EvakSak, no matter how many treats I offered.

However, this video made some excellent points about the identification that should be included in any kind of pet evacuation kit. I suspect I'll be getting a small hard-sided carrier and attaching the kind of identity information mentioned in the video, as well as keeping a smelly tee shirt and a toy or two inside of it for Jasmine's mental comfort. The next step would be figuring out how to attach a shoulder strap to it. I could see getting an EvakSak just for the shoulder strap, putting the cat in the carrier and the carrier in the bag, and attaching identical information to the bag (immediately available should the whole shebang be found, but also available should the bag become separated from the carrier).

Margret

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about something like this? You can load them in through the top and put on your back to carry out. Seems efficient.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:bluepaw::bluepaw::whiskers: what a wonderful creature. Ho, what's this?? What IS this??
Not sure if they have a you're-totally-wrapped-around-his-paw emoticon LOL

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about something like this? You can load them in through the top and put on your back to carry out. Seems efficient.

The link didn't post properly. I can see that it's Amazon, but after that nada. Did you remember to remove the https:// at the beginning of the Amazon address? It's a quirk of the site.

I'll trade this for harness/leash lessons! :lol:
:flail:

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the look of this one, Pet Fit For Life Cat Carrier with Portable Litter Box Bonus Kit

According to the description it "folds into a convenient carry pouch measuring 20" x 14" x 4""
Ooh! I like that one; it appears that the sides are sufficiently stiff that it wouldn't make the cat feel claustrophobic. I wonder where the stakes attach...

I think Jasmine would even play with that one, if I left it out and set up.

Margret

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ooh! I like that one; it appears that the sides are sufficiently stiff that it wouldn't make the cat feel claustrophobic. I wonder where the stakes attach...

I think Jasmine would even play with that one, if I left it out and set up.

Margret
I agree. It doesn't look like it is meant to be a carrier for the vet but car travel or something more long term. I could see putting it in the closet or under a bed to grab if we have to get out quickly. Its gives you a place for the cat to be while you figure stuff out too.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever seen those collapsible hampers made of netting and some kind of flexible stiffener? Places like Walmart and Target sell them, and I've occasionally seen them on sale in the grocery store, as well.

In 2013 Jasmine and I were visiting with friends who used that kind of hamper and Jasmine just loved to play with it. She treated it the same way she now treats paper grocery bags (though at that time she was afraid of the grocery bags for some reason :dunno:), and I think she'd react the same way to this carrier. If you had your cat accustomed to playing with it and occasionally napping in it that would make it incredibly easy to load in an emergency.

It opens at the end, like a grocery bag, and the door can be rolled up and secured out of the way for the cat's convenience entering and exiting; that would probably make it perfect from Jasmine's point of view. And the seat belt attachments make it perfect from my point of view; in a car accident not only would the cat not be thrown very far but she would impact something soft rather than a hard-sided carrier wall.

The only thing it's lacking is a scoop for the litter box, and that's easy enough to take care of. I'm impressed that it even has a collapsible wand toy to take along.

Jasmine has a mobile vet, so I don't have to take her many places (she does not like to travel), but in an emergency...

Oh, and I found how to use the stakes; you have to push the little down arrow at the bottom of the pictures on the left side. After that it's the third picture from the bottom.

Margret

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you ever seen those collapsible hampers made of netting and some kind of flexible stiffener? Places like Walmart and Target sell them, and I've occasionally seen them on sale in the grocery store, as well.

In 2013 Jasmine and I were visiting with friends who used that kind of hamper and Jasmine just loved to play with it. She treated it the same way she now treats paper grocery bags (though at that time she was afraid of the grocery bags for some reason :dunno:), and I think she'd react the same way to this carrier. If you had your cat accustomed to playing with it and occasionally napping in it that would make it incredibly easy to load in an emergency.

It opens at the end, like a grocery bag, and the door can be rolled up and secured out of the way for the cat's convenience entering and exiting; that would probably make it perfect from Jasmine's point of view. And the seat belt attachments make it perfect from my point of view; in a car accident not only would the cat not be thrown very far but she would impact something soft rather than a hard-sided carrier wall.

The only thing it's lacking is a scoop for the litter box, and that's easy enough to take care of. I'm impressed that it even has a collapsible wand toy to take along.

Jasmine has a mobile vet, so I don't have to take her many places (she does not like to travel), but in an emergency...

Oh, and I found how to use the stakes; you have to push the little down arrow at the bottom of the pictures on the left side. After that it's the third picture from the bottom.

Margret
Very nice. I am seriously considering it.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, if you thought a shoulder strap to be important (as it might be, in an emergency) it would be easy enough to attach one to those end handles. I really think that, for cats, this would be a much better purchase than the EvacSak. For dogs, who knows?

Margret