Euthanize Aggressive Cat?

kdono15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
P1000624 (2).JPG 2016-02-25 09.25.53.jpg View attachment 198537 WARNING: This may be a long post. I'll try and keep it snappy but this cat has a complicated history...I would sincerely appreciate any advice. Here goes:

My husband and I were living in South Korea in 2014 and found an abandoned kitten outside our apartment in about May of that year. She was skin and bone and had a bad eye. We took her to the vet and he said she was probably about 6 weeks old, and we could leave her with him or keep her. We kept her and called her Allie. We treated her eye with two separate medications four times a day for the entire year we were living there, then when she was old enough to handle it, we organised for her eye to be removed (her eyeball kept filling with fluid and had to be constantly drained. We decided we'd bring her back home to Australia with us and there was a significant danger of her eyeball rupturing due to the pressure. Plus it was causing her pain). No word of a lie, she was the best cat I've ever had. She loved everyone, would jump on their lap, lick them - even perfect strangers. She didn't even freak out at the vet. One person would be sticking her with a needle and the other would be clipping her claws and she wouldn't fuss a bit.
Fast forward to March 2015 and we drop her off at the international vet in Seoul to have her sent home. Due to unexpected circumstances, we have to stay behind and work for another few weeks, so we're separated from her for about a month by the time we get back (my mother picked her up from the airport and looked after her). My mum tells me she's a maniac, stalking and attacking people in the house. We think it's just because she's in a new place without us (the only people she really knew) and she'll settle down once we get home.
At the time of writing this, it's October 2017, and she is still a maniac. She attacks strangers (and not-so-strangers, including my mum) completely without provocation, and will actually hunt them down to attack them - she doesn't run and hide. She attacks me, also unprovoked, and sometimes my husband. She behaved herself with our daughter when she was born, looking out for her when she cried, but now that my daughter is 18 months old, she gets fed up with her easily and bites her on the face/head/feet - wherever she can reach. She's just trying to warn her to stay away, but she's bitten close to her eye before and that to me is unacceptably dangerous. We spent thousands getting her home because we love her, and we've spent thousands more on professional behaviour therapy, which ended in us putting her on prozac for 6 months (as a last resort) to see if it helped. It didn't. Then I convinced myself maybe a diet change would help. It didn't. So we got another kitten for company (she has bad - and I mean BAD - separation anxiety), and she loves it to bits, but it hasn't helped her anxiety or bad behaviour. She chews up our daughters toys and walks around the house yowling like she can't find me. The neighbours complain that she yowls constantly when we're out. She bites her fur out and has bald patches on her back/side. She will hiss and scratch/bite us when we try and get out the front door. I have scars on my hands from where she bit me so hard (stressed because my sister was visiting) that I had bruises for about a week. I'm afraid that something really terrible happened to her - like, someone did something to her - when we left her in Seoul, and now she is so emotionally damaged that she cannot function normally. We've tried everything, just absolutely everything we can think of. We're at the end of our rope. We are seriously considering euthanasia, and I'm devastated, but I don't know what else to do. We could never rehome her, she hates everyone but us (and sometimes even us) and it would be beyond cruel to take her to a no-kill shelter where she would live out her days terrified and alone. I'm making an appointment tomorrow to do a full clinical assessment to see if there is something - anything - that is making her ill that we can fix, which might be at the root of this. I suspect not, but it's one last thing to cover. If there is nothing physically wrong with her, I'm afraid the only thing we can do is put her down.
My problem is, I do love her so much. I've personally put in so much effort in trying to fix her, with therapy, diet change, drugs, research on behaviour - EVERYTHING! She is so cute and some days will cuddle up to you, and she still sleeps on me every night. But most days she will find at least one reason to act up and attack me or someone else. She is ruling our life and making it very difficult. A perfect example of her bizarre behaviour is this (100% true story by the way):

- Allie is yowling. I look for her to see what's wrong and see an empty water bowl. I fill it up and she runs over to drink. I give her a scratch behind the ears. She doesn't mind.
- I walk into the lounge room and lay down on the couch to relax (daughter is napping). Allie follows me and stares at my face with that wild look she gets. I know she wants to attack me. I try to diffuse the situation by speaking calming and moving my face away (don't want my eyes scratched). She jumps and bites my arm.
- I speak calmly saying "Allie, stop please. What's wrong?" in a soothing way. I see her twitching about to jump again and shield myself with a cushion. She bites me hard and I yell. Then it's on.
- She attacks my like a full-on feral cat, with the screeching and hissing and everything, the full works. I'm trying to defend myself and end up grabbing her by the scruff and tossing her into the bathroom. I leave her in there to decompress for half an hour before letting her out.

The thing is, I love her dearly, but these scenarios enrage me because I know there is literally nothing I did wrong to her. When I take a step back I just realise that she is mentally deranged.

Any advice? The prospect of euthanasia hurts but I don't know what else to do.

Thanks so much for reading my novel...

Last edited:

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear all this. How awful. :(

I wonder- do you think she could have seizures that could make her change her personality like that in a snap? I have read about that kind thing happening before. Or maybe a brain tumor causing trouble? I truly don't know.

I hope someone else has better advice than I do. Hugs and good luck. :(

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are other anti-anxiety drugs, if Prozac doesn't work. I've heard that Xanax has a good track record, but of course cats are like humans in that different cats respond to drugs in different ways. I think I'd try a few more drugs before considering euthanasia. Her brain chemistry may have gotten messed up, it's worth trying to set it right. After all you've tried, I think it probably is a brain chemistry issue, not something that could be solved with behavioral interventions.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's hard to say. Some one could have done something to it at the airport. Pressure from the flight might have done something to her. She may be in pain and just lashing out. I would have blood test done and a sonogram. I wouldn't even bother with x-rays. Sonogram will tell you what an x-ray will and more. It could be the new born is adding to it. I've known cases where people have to give up or rehome a cat because the baby stresses the cat out. You need to get her to a vet and rule out physical issues such as cancer, tumor and such first to start with.

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When you make your appointment at the vet, consider a veterinary school clinic. I've heard that some schools have hospitals that have a lot of experience treating pets with unusual health issues. Being a school, they may be a little more cutting edge than a typical vet office.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Several things jump out at me
1. a kitten that was never properly socialized. Kitten was hand raised and so was our Mook. Neither could deal well with stress or each other (6 years apart). They were and are very attached to me. I was Kitten's person and am Mooks. Keep this in mind. Your kitten never learned how to be a proper cat.

2 The separation would have been traumatic. It's possible with her anchors in security gone and confinement and other unknowns she became defensive.

3 Adding 1 and 2 you now add number 3. new home and child who is at the grabbing age. Possible issues with approach from blind side could cause her to startle.

Your best bet is a full physical workup and then move to mood stabilizing drugs. Not only will you and yours be safer your cat will be lifted from her own inner nightmare. Believe me as much as she distresses you it doesn't sound like she's enjoying life either. You can try behavior modification after she's on medication but it may or may not work depending on how deeply entrenched the behavior is or the root cause. Many animals and humans live a complete life because of medications for mood stabilization.

If after all this you see no improvement it's time for a heart to heart with a veterinarian you trust to decide what is best for your, your family and your cat. I believe that an animal suffering from an untreatable behavior issue can be in as much pain as one in the end stage of many common ailments that physically make pet guardians decide on euthanasia and that it is a personal decision made between a loving owner and a trusted vet.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt it is it, but some cats get random pain and lash out suddenly. There nerves are misfiring. Only she would have exhibited it as a young cat in Korea. I agree with kittens mom. Vet + mood stabilizing drugs if needed, then working on her training. Please tell us how it goes?

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmmm along the lines of pain, maybe she was injured during the flight. Also lack of early cat on cat socialization can play a partial role.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to say. Some one could have done something to it at the airport. Pressure from the flight might have done something to her. She may be in pain and just lashing out. I would have blood test done and a sonogram. I wouldn't even bother with x-rays. Sonogram will tell you what an x-ray will and more. It could be the new born is adding to it. I've known cases where people have to give up or rehome a cat because the baby stresses the cat out. You need to get her to a vet and rule out physical issues such as cancer, tumor and such first to start with.
I would want a fresh look at the socket where the eye was removed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kdono15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your replies! They have been so insightful. I totally agree with Willowy - I really would like to try something else before euthanasia. We have a love/hate relationship but she's still special to me.
Sabian, I did wonder the same thing - is she lashing out because she was not only emotionally but physically abused by airport staff and she's been in pain this whole time??
Kittens Mom I think you hit the nail right on the head though - thank you so much for your insight. It just makes so much sense. We often remarked what an odd cat she was over in Korea, but of course she would have been because she had only ever socialized with two humans in a cramped studio apartment. This meant she was often a supercat at the vets because she didn't even know a vet surgery was an undesirable place to be! The separation anxiety is definitely an issue too. If I leave the house for even a minute to take out the garbage I can hear her crying, and she runs around the house grabbing every toy to bring to the door as an 'offering' when I get back. It breaks my heart. I strongly suspect she has PTSD from our separation/flight and then living in an unknown environment for a month without us, which she has just never gotten over. And funny you should bring it up, but my husband just said yesterday "I wonder if they didn't do a very good job of removing that eye and she's still in pain after all this time?". Honestly, reading your post it was like you know us already! haha
In all seriousness though, the Koreans are not good with animals. It isn't a personal thing against Koreans - I just know what I saw living over there, and I understand their attitude to animals, especially cats. Basically cats are 'vermin' in Korea, like dirty rats or something. They don't keep them as pets. Our vet was marvellous with Allie, and actually had two monstrously sized cats living at the clinic, which was bizarre to us but obviously comforting. He was also very fond of her and treated her gently, but I do wonder about the eye surgery nonetheless. I think they're more efficient as opposed to 'comfort-first' when it comes to procedures. One time my husband took her to get her eye drained (before she was old enough to have it removed) and she wasn't properly sedated and was crying during the procedure, but the vet didn't seem troubled. My husband is not one to cry but this distressed him greatly, and he regrets not saying something at the time (foreign country, language barrier etc felt like an obstacle).
ANYWAY - sorry to get sidetracked! - I actually took her to the vet this morning. A different vet, as I hoped to find someone with a different 'angle' to approach her situation. He couldn't handle her, and even I could get her out of the cage, but he was very compassionate. He gave me some Metacam (pain relief drug) to give her for 10 days to see if it improves her disposition somewhat. If so, we could say that some of her issues relate to pain, and we'll sedate her at the next appointment and perform a full physical examination to search for the issue (impossible to do without sedation). If she doesn't improve, obviously she's physically fine, and he'd like to try a hormone injection which will help to stabilize mood (hopefully). Even then, he says she probably will not be the same as she used to be due to the emotional trauma she must have experienced during our separation, but it could be an improvement to her quality of life (she must be miserable) and ours. But I don't know if my husband will agree to that. He loves her too, but money is an obstacle here - we don't know if we can afford mood-stabilizing drugs for the rest of her life. But we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.
Honestly though, thank you all so much for your input. I'll keep you posted. Sorry for my long rants!

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
If you can get a script filled at a human pharmacy generic Prozac is usually quite cheap. In the US vets must give the prescription to fill somewhere else if you ask. Usually the cost is quite modest unless you start getting something like the ear gel which will of course run quite a bit more than splitting pills.
There is an emotional toll on both of you right now to do the right thing. Euthanasia is usually the last resort especially when you consider what you have went through and the bond you have for her.
I did forget to ask if you had interactive playtime daily to keep her worn out. Most of us use wands with feathers or what ever tickles our cats fancy to chase and kill.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope everything works out alright. Hearing your story convinced me we (x-hubby & I) did the right thing leaving our teen cat with the in-laws, over shipping him over from Denmark 9 months later. I based our decision on what would make him happy. In your case since your cat views it's self as a person, it must have been extra traumatic. I think prozac might be a good idea. There is no guarantee you will need to medicate her for the rest of her life. She may only need prozac for 6 months or a year. I hope everything works out. I know how incredibly stressful it is for us humans to move overseas. I can not imagine how much more stressful it was for her to be in another country with different smells, plants, animals, a month without her family & now her home is gone! :vibes:

sprinkle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You should look into Jackson Galaxy's line of essence solutions.

Keep in mind that some people advise against Essential Oils for pets but I don't know if this applies to his product.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
You should look into Jackson Galaxy's line of essence solutions.

Keep in mind that some people advise against Essential Oils for pets but I don't know if this applies to his product.
These products have their place in everyday stress situations for cats the trouble is this case is more advanced and messing around with these in lieu of actual medication would likely be a mistake.
Essential oils can be toxic to cats. Herbal remedies based on Bach Flowers can work for cats but as much as I like JG as a behaviorist I don't know the purity or the adherence being practiced by the company producing these remedies for mass production. The woman who made RR for me made it by specific formula in very small amounts.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried a bully remedy (from my vet) and my cats wouldn't eat their wet food with it on it. (Or drink the water with it in it.) I would stick to stuff they just have to smell. Yes I would try all those remedies normally. This however seems like a severe case. So pill first, then remedies & hopefully weaning her off the pills later? I have heard time & time again how prozac works. At the same time I hear that 1/2 the time the natural remedies fail.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I tried a bully remedy (from my vet) and my cats wouldn't eat their wet food with it on it. (Or drink the water with it in it.) I would stick to stuff they just have to smell. Yes I would try all those remedies normally. This however seems like a severe case. So pill first, then remedies & hopefully weaning her off the pills later? I have heard time & time again how prozac works. At the same time I hear that 1/2 the time the natural remedies fail.
Day to day interactions where there is some friction diffusers and remedies might work. In a situation this intense it's probably better to go with the Prozac and work down from there if possible. Sometimes it's best to go for the big guns first.

explorador

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fast forward to March 2015 and we drop her off at the international vet in Seoul to have her sent home. Due to unexpected circumstances, we have to stay behind and work for another few weeks, so we're separated from her for about a month by the time we get back (my mother picked her up from the airport and looked after her). My mum tells me she's a maniac, stalking and attacking people in the house. We think it's just because she's in a new place without us (the only people she really knew) and she'll settle down once we get home.
I read the story but this is coming back at me. Cat's... are special animals. I wouldn't leave my dog like that unless I'm there to see the transition (how other people adapt), or instead there are places to stay for a while (ok months are a diff thing, yet there are people providing the service, good cat caretakers). Sorry to say this but I have seen enough in my life... I wouldn't believe anyone something "turned maniac, we did nothing" that's been said with all due respect, my mother can fail to tell the stories as they are (too?).

Sometimes cats can cry a lot when the owne... dad is not home. We might want to do crazy stuff but we don't because we love them, other people get carried away, please don't take it bad but I see a behavior problem due to trauma, bond broken, they are very sentimental too you know.

I wouldn't discard a medical problem. In the meantime while I don't have the links, trust me there are stories of cats (documented on youtube) that were really loved, owners died and then cats became beasts! it took time and efforts of love and patiente to get them to ALLOW being touched. I usually keep links around but some that are very touching... are deleted because it hurts. Long story short I know cats can get heart broken and turn into wild beasts, it takes time.

Ok so I don't have the video links but I can describe.

One of the cats was left in recovery on a room, alone, with toys, food, regular visits. The cat would stay put, quiet, won't eat. Then slowly would eat, after sometime allowed to be touched (like finger touch) using thick gloves, then after some months allowed to be touched with bare hands. After some months a kitten was introduced, in this case the cat wasn't aggressive to attack the kitten, in fact the kitten helped (it was introduced under supervision).

At the end of the long story (months... months) the cat became friendly again. This was a cat coming from a very loving family, not knowing any pain or mistreatment, that broke his heart. But managed to recovery when old.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When kittens mom said that about the eye I thought to myself that's a good idea. Cabin pressure from the flight may have caused a problem / rupture or something. I'm interested to see how this plays out so do keep us updated! Good luck!

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Please keep us updated.
Along with everything else does Allie have high places , vertical spaces to escape your toddler ? Adding shelves , cat trees or sometimes just rearranging the furniture to give you cat an upper track around the room. We have 4 cats in a fairly small home but they can walk around the living room without going to ground. Even cats need to get away from other cats.
Bird feeders in safe windows. Cat TV.
Dark hiding sleeping spaces out of reach of little hands. Cats will usually retreat before scratching or biting. I know you have a special case here but now is a good time to look at her living environment from her eyes. Most cats need to be able to get high and hide.
Kitten was and Mook is a hand raised no contact with other cats. Kitten wouldn't have much to do with Mook she thought she was a person and so does Mook. Sometimes our decisions to save them makes it necessary to extract them from conditions that would kill them. A single cat with no proper socialization presents their own unique issues and rewards. I had a beyond special relationship with Kitten. Because she was an only cat for 5 years I have a pretty clear picture of some of the behavior you mention. She was our first cat and we sure went though some interesting times but she was the bestest cat ever.

mio-nozawa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey kdono15, we are also having problems with our cat being super aggressive right now (legitimately just runs around growling all the time) - new kittens, he had been fine with foster kittens in the past but after 2 months still can't get over the 2 new ones we had. He wasn't very well socialized as a kitten either it seems. He's also on steroids though so that may not be helping. We were thinking of trying CBD Oil and maybe prozac. I can let you know if either helps.