Euthanasia - update - it's not Wildfire's time yet

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise

What did you get? Birdie is nt eating the low protein presciption food.
Which one do you have? If it's k/d, I know there are a couple of different varieties (flavors/textures) of it. Pate is usually more palatable for the kidney kitties. I have the chicken one, Sara loves that one.

You probably want to focus on the phosphorus more than the protein though. That's part of what makes them feel like crap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kflei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I gave her Wellness Divine Duos, the Tuna Pate & Diced Salmon.  I just mashed the heck out of it, added a little water, and she was all over it.  She's actually out of her hidey-hole, I put her up on the sofa, and she's just chillin'.  It's a sight that melts my heart...

Donutte is right, from everything I've read today- the phosphorus is more important than the protein.  Wildfire wouldn't touch prescription food (Royal Canin Renal- I'm not a Science Diet fan, so didn't try that one).  But even beyond that, based on what the vet told me, based on what I've read, and based on personal experience, the consensus is first and foremost give them anything they'll eat, and deal with the rest later.  In '08 Wildfire quit eating for some reason, and being the idiot that I was, I thought 'she'll eat eventually when she gets hungry'.  Now I know that's not how cats operate, and it was touch and go with her for a while...

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise

I gave her Wellness Divine Duos, the Tuna Pate & Diced Salmon.  I just mashed the heck out of it, added a little water, and she was all over it.  She's actually out of her hidey-hole, I put her up on the sofa, and she's just chillin'.  It's a sight that melts my heart...

Donutte is right, from everything I've read today- the phosphorus is more important than the protein.  Wildfire wouldn't touch prescription food (Royal Canin Renal- I'm not a Science Diet fan, so didn't try that one).  But even beyond that, based on what the vet told me, based on what I've read, and based on personal experience, the consensus is first and foremost give them anything they'll eat, and deal with the rest later.  In '08 Wildfire quit eating for some reason, and being the idiot that I was, I thought 'she'll eat eventually when she gets hungry'.  Now I know that's not how cats operate, and it was touch and go with her for a while...
Exactly. It's always good to try to work with the ideal food, but if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Sara gobbles up the k/d but only gets 2/3 can a day of that. The rest is the same food the others eat. That's why I'm in the process of changing what the others eat though.

And yes, you'll probably lose your mind researching foods. I think I did over the last few days. With Lucky it was definitely "feed him whatever he'll eat". When I found out he liked Temptations treats, guess what he got to eat? Yep, Temptations treats. He also got Fancy Feast kitten food. Whatever his little heart desired, he got it. Nothing every lasted long in terms of his liking it, but if it meant he ate one more meal, it was worth it.