Ethical Delima

Wenda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, so back in late January I found a two and a half month old kitten outside my door at my apartment complex. It was a cold day and he was meowing his head off. I looked around and absolutely no one was around, so I picked up the baby and went canvassing the neighborhood in case he escaped. Because it was the early afternoon on a work day (i was home sick) most people didn't answer and those I talked to didn't want to claim him. So, I told the office I found him and if anyone came looking to call me. I also put up "found kitten" fliers by the communal mailboxes and laundry with my contact info. Absolutely no one called or contacted me so after a week I took him to the vet for shots and a checkup (he was a healthy happy kitty, if he seemed otherwise I would've taken him sooner). He didn't have a micro chip so I got him his shots, etc. And took down the fliers a little while later assuming he'd been dumped and now I was stuck with him.

He's been with me for a month and is spoiled rotten. I love him to death lol. Buuuuuut one of my neighbors knocked on my door to claim him. He'd heard him meowing and recognized his meow. It's definitely his cat. He has pictures and is a very nice guy. His dog is well taken care of and you can tell he misses his cat. He could also tell I was reluctant to give the kitty up (I'd assumed no one would ever come). He offered to reimburse me the money I spent to get him back. My sticking points are the guys gf doesn't want the cat and he did say I could keep him and gave me the cat litter they had. I feel like a Jack ass who stole their cat, but nobody ever came until now. I know the kitty is happy here and is very well adjusted (is even learning manners). The couple is moving out of state in a week. Should I give their cat back? I don't want to, but I know he must've felt horrible not knowing where his kitty was. But he also said I could keep him (reluctantly). And when the kitty saw him he didn't seem to recognize him. He stayed by my feet or tried to explore the outdoors, but not the guy, and ran back into my open door instead of the guys door when the sound of a car spooked him.

I know what I want to do, but I'm not sure if it's what I should do. Like if I gave him back I could save an adult cat from the pound (but I don't want another kitty) or I could selfishly keep him and have this awesome little dude forever. I offered to get him another cat (jerk move, I'm sure because he didn't want another cat either. And I offered to pay him for the kitty but he declined because he got him for free). Could I just get him a restaurant gift card to thank him or should I give the cat back?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's a tough one. You've had the kitten for a month, he likely had the kitten for no more than a month. You put up signs and notified the office. The guy didn't see the signs or ask the office or put up signs you saw. In my area if you make a good faith effort to find the owner and there is no sign after two weeks it is considered abandoned. So where I am at you are under no obligation to return the kitten.

Even if the guy reluctantly offered you the kitten, he still offered it. If he is moving it probably is better for the kitten to stay and if the guy wants a kitten to get a new one after the move. I'd ask the guy if he is sure it is okay, by text so you have it in writing or ask him to sign something because "your vet needs it showing relinquishment of ownership since you told them it was found". Just because I tend to be a CYA type personality. Ask him if he wants kitten updates and enjoy your kitten.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a tough one. I guess I'd try putting myself in the other guy's shoes.

If it had been my kitten and it was lost, I'd have run around door to door to see if someone had picked him up.
The only reason I might not put "lost kitten" fliers up is if maybe I hadn't told management about the new pet to avoid the extra fees.
If the kitten had been lost for a month, I probably would figure that either someone picked him up and is giving him a good home, or that he died in some accident on the road or by predator. I would still be sad, though less so if he had a home.
Where did I get the kitten, and why? It was free... but my SO isn't happy about it. hmmmm. Plus, keeping track of a kitten while moving is... challenging.

From the other side... I've picked up many a stray, and after putting up fliers the owners have always found me within a week... even from a mile away.

I'd be inclined to say keep the kitty. Get it in writing if you can, while reassuring the former owner that kitty is happy and well taken care of.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep him. If that were me and you had my cat Demi, I would be begging you to give him back and crying and throwing myself on the ground. If he didn't do that, then keep him.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep him. If that were me and you had my cat Demi, I would be begging you to give him back and crying and throwing myself on the ground. If he didn't do that, then keep him.
Wow! Nail on the head I'd chew through a brick wall to get one of mine back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wenda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies!

This morning I went to the store and bought candy and dog treats to make them a thank you basket. I gave it to them a couple of hours ago and thanked him for being cool about letting me keep my kitty. He was very nice, and told me they were buying a new kitten on their way to their new home. So I'm happy they weren't relying on me to bring the kitty back. Now I don't have to worry! Hooray!!!!

Tomorrow I take him back for his last round of shots and I'll ask my vet about a chip.

I'm so happy :)

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies!

This morning I went to the store and bought candy and dog treats to make them a thank you basket. I gave it to them a couple of hours ago and thanked him for being cool about letting me keep my kitty. He was very nice, and told me they were buying a new kitten on their way to their new home. So I'm happy they weren't relying on me to bring the kitty back. Now I don't have to worry! Hooray!!!!

Tomorrow I take him back for his last round of shots and I'll ask my vet about a chip.

I'm so happy :)
:clap: A happy ending (beginning actually!) for you and the awesome little dude. :hearthrob:

Wenda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping for the best for their new cat. I know he's amazing with his dog and Ares was a good boy the moment I got him and I attribute that to the guy being gentle with him. It was just too bad it took so long for him to find him which is why I felt so bad for not wanting to return him. I'm sure this next kitty will be watched closer and I think it's the breed the gf wanted so both of them will love it.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Not exactly the words that came to my mind... but yeah

Wenda Wenda , I think you handled that well.
May you and your kitty enjoy many loving years to come.
(and you know where to come for questions or support):catlove:
This little kitten struck pay dirt. I have to hope the former owners will love their new toy.
I've grown weary of finding nice words for bad actions and behavior.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, he never hung up posters for a lost pet? Pets are a family decision even if it's just his GF. He gave you the cat litter and said you can keep the kitten. Take him. Leave it you don't owe him anything. And get your baby microchipped and in your name.
That was my thought. You are a far, far kinder person than I, making that basket. I am SO glad that the kitten found a soft spot to land. Good grief...Hekitty got out when my water heater blew up and the fire department was in my apartment before I could get home for work. I was running everywhere looking for her, FAR more concerned about my cat than my flooded and scorched apartment!

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
That was my thought. You are a far, far kinder person than I, making that basket. I am SO glad that the kitten found a soft spot to land. Good grief...Hekitty got out when my water heater blew up and the fire department was in my apartment before I could get home for work. I was running everywhere looking for her, FAR more concerned about my cat than my flooded and scorched apartment!
Generally someone who loses a pet makes a visible effort to locate them. If flyers were hung up etc most local ordinances say a pet is yours after so many days of caring for them. Truthfully the OP never had an ethical dilemma the original owner had the issues with being ethical. Sadly they were able to go to any shelter and take yet another life into their hands without consequence.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And all I can think is poor new kitty...
My first thoughts exactly! My prayers and vibes that new kitty who gets adopted by the original owner is considered in higher esteem than the last one. :vibes::vibes:
And if it is possible, please consider adopting a 2nd kitten as companion to your first. 9 weeks was still pretty young to have been without littermates and the feral cat rescues everywhere seem to be especially overwhelmed this year. I had heard that Alabama shelters are so overwhelmed, some of them are arbitrarily destroying adult cats to make room for the over-abundant-but-more-adoptable kittens :disappointed:

Wenda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I actually debated about getting another kitten for a while, but where I'm at right now I just don't have the space (or finances) to bring another one in (nowhere to keep the new kitty during any transition phase...or to keep him/her separated while making sure it doesn't have worms or any health issues it could pass along to Ares). I know it would've been good for him to have a buddy to play with. Luckily I've recently graduated and I'm working less hours as I transition to a new job so I've had toooooooons of time to play with Ares and work with him on things (harness, leash, baths, coming when called, etc.)

He's a pretty happy boy, and I try to make sure to bring in/swap toys around to keep him entertained and exploring new things. Although, it breaks my heart to think about the homeless adult cats, kittens, and other critters. When I can afford a house I'll definitely be getting a pound puppy or kitty...maybe both (depending on how I think they'd get along with Ares...although by that time he'll be an adult and might not want another cat around).
ares4.jpg ares5.jpg ares6.jpg