Essential Oils for Allergies?

lunaskye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn't know where else to post this so I am here at the Cat Lounge!

I have milk cat allergies, but it never stopped me from keeping my baby. I used to take Zyrtec-D when it had to be prescribed by your doctor. I eventually grew a tolerance and learned that when I start to get really itchy in the mouth, I suck on ice and it generally soothes the problem and I feel fine.

But now I am dating a guy who is really allergic to cats. Not just cats, but a lot of things to a rather high level of intolerance. We are long distance, so he has not been around my cat or home except one week in the past year. That time, I had left my cat with my dad and I cleaned so thoroughly! He had little issues, just said he was a tad uncomfortable but that he was most able to breathe in my bedroom. I actually attended my room the most because I knew my cat spent most of his time there. So- I know its possible that with regular cleaning he can manage!

I have done a lot of reading on things to do as far as maintaining a healthy living space for my boyfriend and my cat. However, my boyfriend does not live off of medication and does not want to do so... -.- He agreed that he would take pills for a few months and try to ween himself off of it. For the record, we only have a 6 month trial period before I move to his country (with my cat!). So I really need to make this bearable for him. Any tips/tricks/advice would really help! Even if I heard it before, I'd like to know more personally if these things have worked for you.

But what this post is really about is has anyone used essential oils to reduce allergies? I have seen a lot of people talk about lavender, or lavender with peppermint and lemon.

Then which way is most efficient? Massaging oil on the feet, inhaling, candle diffusers? What are some peoples experience with this and does help a lot?

Much appreciated, thank you

Lauren

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I have allergy problems with dust and pollen. During allergy season, I use a Neti pot with a saline solution faithfully every night, just like brushing my teeth. When I don't feel like I'm particularly suffering from allergies, I use it about three times a week.  Keeping my sinuses cleaned out makes a world of difference for me.  http://www.webmd.com/allergies/sinus-pain-pressure-11/neti-pots?page=1  

A friend has animal allergies and he swears by stinging nettle to control it. (He has a cat, a dog and two birds in his house).   http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.aspx?Id=3160

Best of lucking finding something that will work!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I quickly asked a person I know who uses a lot of natural and holistic remedies.  This was her response:
Theives , lavender frankincense lemon. Best thing is old distilled water on cloth, nettles
It's brief; but its a start for you I hope.