Escapees!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap: LOVE those pics :crackup: I can just imagine the 'fun' you had trying to get everybody back to their field :lol3: My girl has a cute habit of ducking under fences when she can get away with it, and catching her is always...ah....interesting, shall we say :rolleyes: She has a thing for flowers too, and makes a beeline for the planters on the yard whenever she gets a chance :bat:

:cross: that raising the fence keeps your goat in :vibes:

cat nap cat nap In my experience, even special treats like carrots and apples can't persuade a determined pony to come away from the oh-so-sweet forbidden grass from outside their field. Ponies are strong believers in 'the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence' :rolleyes::lol3:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
@Columbine ... Is your pony taller than a shetland pony? She must have some awesome skills to be able to duck under a fence.

Now, I'm beginning to wonder if the fresh smell of flowers is too irresistible, to both ponies and goats, and they just cannot help but make their way to the garden, or flowers.

(Kind of like fresh baked goods, or delicious cooking smells to us.)

@cat nap In my experience, even special treats like carrots and apples can't persuade a determined pony to come away from the oh-so-sweet forbidden grass from outside their field. Ponies are strong believers in 'the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence'
That is hilarious....'the oh-so-sweet forbidden grass'....and the 'grass is always greener on the other side of the fence'   belief, 
must get them in trouble, quite a bit.

I suppose they also adhere to the "where there's a will, there's a way" method of doing things, too. Amazing animals. 

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My last job I worked with a tech who owned two horses and his daughter went to riding competitions.  He said his two horses would get out on a pretty regular basis.  He said they didn't go anywhere, they would just being grazing on the grass on the other side of the fence.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
cat nap cat nap I have an Exmoor pony, who excels at limbo dancing :rolleyes::lol3: She literally goes down on to her knees and crawls under the fence! Looking at the pics above, I'd say she's about 8" taller than jennyr jennyr 's ponies (I'm guessing they're around 10.2hh?).

'The grass is always greener...'is an old English saying ;)

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

My last job I worked with a tech who owned two horses and his daughter went to riding competitions.  He said his two horses would get out on a pretty regular basis.  He said they didn't go anywhere, they would just being grazing on the grass on the other side of the fence.
It's great that they stay near home. I guess none of them ever want to get back inside, on their own.

I've driven through farm country in the summer months, but I suppose I never really pay attention to which side of the fences, they are on.
@cat nap I have an Exmoor pony, who excels at limbo dancing
She literally goes down on to her knees and crawls under the fence! Looking at the pics above, I'd say she's about 8" taller than @JennyR's ponies (I'm guessing they're around 10.2hh?).

'The grass is always greener...'is an old English saying
@Columbine ....limbo dancing...wow...that is an impressive skill.

It is so interesting how people in the equine world measure height..."hands high" (hh).

So does that mean that Jenny's ponies are estimated at around 10.2 hh = (10 x 4 inches) + 2 inch= 42 inches high. (106.68cm)

And your Exmoor pony is therefore 50 inches high? (127 cm) at the shoulders. This makes her even more awesome, to get so low, under a fence. (But not the escaping part...I didn't mean that.
)

We also use that saying...'grass is greener', quite a bit, here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cat nap cat nap I have an Exmoor pony, who excels at limbo dancing :rolleyes::lol3: She literally goes down on to her knees and crawls under the fence! Looking at the pics above, I'd say she's about 8" taller than jennyr jennyr 's ponies (I'm guessing they're around 10.2hh?).

'The grass is always greener...'is an old English saying ;)
My littlest pony, Tiffin, does that! He would dig under any fence when he was younger. Just like a dog.

Measurement of very small ponies is a little different.Under 130cm it is normal to measure htem in inches or centimetres. Mine are miniature Shetlands, though one of htem, Tartine is a bit bigger than the others. Tiffin is only 110cms, no bigger than an Airedale dog, though he is fully grown..

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:doh3: I should have realised they were miniatures when I compared their size to the goat! I've known a few myself, and they've all been great characters :D Every single one of them has been an expert escape artist too :lol3: Collie had a love affair with one of them when we first moved to our current yard - he was her little protector (not that she needed it, but she liked it all the same :lol3: ).

I'd never heard that it was normal to measure in inches/centimetres for small/miniature ponies though. Round here people seem to stick to hh regardless of height (unofficially, anyway - I believe the show world has worked in cm for years now)...but I'm certain your method is the correct one - it makes so much more sense :nod: