Escape Proofing your home!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!
I'm not sure this is the appropriate place for the Topic but I think most of you would agree that securing our homes for little door dashers, newly introduced ferals, stays, or the nosey wanderer who accidentally slips out the front door would fall under "Cat Care"

After all,those of us that have indoor fur babies do everything possible to keep them safe and under our watchful eye-its our responsibility to protect them from any potential danger and God Forbid,getting lost .So I thought it might be good to share our ideas about how to escape proof our homes,it's just as important to have peace of mind for our own well being.
For years I've been worried about those darned patio screens,my 4 cats just love lounging out on the patio at back but I'm never at rest with them out there -especially with my little Tortie Bella,she's the huntress,she'll chase anything and still doesn't get it that a screen is in the way....I've peeled her off those screens 100's of times as she leaps onto them after a lizard ( here in Florida lizards are plentiful)..... I'm either replacing torn screens or out their re-securing with the roller and simply cannot leave then unattended out there
Well,I had acrylic cut to fit the bottom half which got the most abuse from swatting claws but the top half-Bella,the velcro cat!
I finally came up with an idea and it worked,I'd like to share because for under $50 bucks I've got a cat escape proof patio-12 feet of safe screens
I bought an 8 panel 48 inch high pet playpen,took apart tye panels( each 2ft wide),got eight 8 ft high 1x3s and a big pack of cable ties....

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a good idea.

I don't have such problems now, as I live in an apartment building where "outside" is an enclosed hallway, with multiple doors between it and actual outside.

But when I first took in Willy, I was living with family in a house in a more rural area, and we had him for a limited time in a screened-in patio, as we were assessing his health and getting him treated. He had fleas at the time, too, so we were trying to keep him out of the main part of the house just until he was treated.

We actually had some kind of predator try to claw a hole in from the outside (probably a raccoon... Willy was very small at the time and could have been seen as prey to a hungry raccoon), but was unable to fully get in, thankfully. So one morning, we found him cowering under the patio furniture, with the obvious break-in attempt from overnight.

I don't have a patio now, but I'd never trust unsupervised patio time again, unless I modified it like you suggest.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Good topic! There have been several recent threads mentioning kitties escaping, not just through doors but also into ceilings, down heating vents, under the springs of armchairs and beds. A good topic esp. for people moving into new homes, or staying at a hotel or guests’ house. I have no 1 overall solution, but for those out there w/ a new kitty and/or home, I would just say do a very thorough scope out of the whole house -several times if necessary- and “think like a cat”: ie, if I was escaping through a tiny hole, where would I go? …and make sure if you have ceiling tiles that can be pushed up, then, um, make sure your ceiling is really really realllly high!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Good topic! There have been several recent threads mentioning kitties escaping, not just through doors but also into ceilings, down heating vents, under the springs of armchairs and beds. A good topic esp. for people moving into new homes, or staying at a hotel or guests’ house. I have no 1 overall solution, but for those out there w/ a new kitty and/or home, I would just say do a very thorough scope out of the whole house -several times if necessary- and “think like a cat”: ie, if I was escaping through a tiny hole, where would I go? …and make sure if you have ceiling tiles that can be pushed up, then, um, make sure your ceiling is really really realllly high!
EXCELLENT advice....Also,in case anyone doesn't realize how little a cats head is,let alone an Itty bitty kitty-if a cat can get his head through an opening,having no shoulder blades he can wiggle his entire body through!Just an FYI----so as Margot Lane says "think like a cat" and I'll add " think SMALL"
I was originally looking at welded wire sheets,pretty pricey plus most openings were 2"x4" as many dog kennels use-didnt want to risk that size not only for potential escspe but the thought of one of my cats managing to get their head in,getting stuck & panicking( that would be Bella)... a hazardous situation where a cat could choke themselves....
It's an important Topic,for every pet parent me thinks🤔🙀💗

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a good idea.

I don't have such problems now, as I live in an apartment building where "outside" is an enclosed hallway, with multiple doors between it and actual outside.

But when I first took in Willy, I was living with family in a house in a more rural area, and we had him for a limited time in a screened-in patio, as we were assessing his health and getting him treated. He had fleas at the time, too, so we were trying to keep him out of the main part of the house just until he was treated.

We actually had some kind of predator try to claw a hole in from the outside (probably a raccoon... Willy was very small at the time and could have been seen as prey to a hungry raccoon), but was unable to fully get in, thankfully. So one morning, we found him cowering under the patio furniture, with the obvious break-in attempt from overnight.

I don't have a patio now, but I'd never trust unsupervised patio time again, unless I modified it like you suggest.
It's so nice to be able to leave the cat flap open now without having to watch constantly-today I actually went to throw out my garbage without having to call everyone inside-such a good feeling.I never even thought of predators(I'm in a Condo),so that's an excellent point!You're poor lil kitty was terrified!Aww

That's nice that you don't have to worry about your front door,mine leads right out to a busy parking lot-though my 4 are well behaved my Sami is a door dasher ,he just gets in front of me because he wants me to put his leash on( we go everywhere together) .... Still,its troubling,you never know if a squirrel or bird might provoke him to dart out...

Well,now that we have another addition to the family that front door MUST be secured.... our new arrival is an adult feral,never been indoors-rught now he's in an enclosure and I'm having a second door built .... it should be done soon,my cousin is building it -I'll take before and after photos-we are using privacy lattice ( the openings are smaller than regular lattice)

And won't Sami be surprised!

I looked into every pet gate under the sun,the highest was 55" and I've watched Timmy( our feral) outside leap onto an 8ft wall easily. Then there's the Richell cat gate-up to the ceiling and a whopping $400!!! PLUS it's those pressure installations( no tools required),needs 2 extendion kits to fit the width at nearly $100 each....nah,I don't want anything that's not attached to the wall..... sounds janky

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cats are pretty good about not being escape artists, but, the catio was built it was built right off of the back door, with the cat door next to the "human" door. I have a door to the side yard a few feet away from this door. So from day one, with the catio, I never just opened the back door and let the cats out, I open THEIR cat door and if they want out, they go out that way. I didn't want them to learn that running out of doors was a good experience. I guess it's kind of thinking like a cat. :catman:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are pretty good about not being escape artists, but, the catio was built it was built right off of the back door, with the cat door next to the "human" door. I have a door to the side yard a few feet away from this door. So from day one, with the catio, I never just opened the back door and let the cats out, I open THEIR cat door and if they want out, they go out that way. I didn't want them to learn that running out of doors was a good experience. I guess it's kind of thinking like a cat. :catman:
I really envy your setup,but you know how I feel about Condo life,lol But the best part is that YOUR there and just using that property as a Blessing .... it makes me so sad when I see a big porch,a yard,a garage just sitting there and not used.... we are Blessed TO Bless,aren't we?
Love ya iPappy-training is essential imho-nothing worse than bad habits that could be avoided-great work,sure makes life easier in the long run!That's the best suggestion yet!
Samis "bad habit" of darting out the door is because that's what he was actually trained to do,when Mommy goes out so does Sami-hes always ready to go -,dash & sit for the harness
Funny,I taught Sami how to open doors,close doors,turn lights on & off,for service ( you know the story) ... what was I thinking? Lol..it's like having a toddler in the house

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
That is amazing! What lucky kitties you have. Hope Timmy is enjoying it too.
That was alot of work for you….
Thank you ,it is alot but he's worth it....hes never had a chance,like so many other "invisible" ignored cats out there fending for themselves.....not too bad when they are part of a colony but I can't imagine being alone all those years,hiding all day and with every sudden noise..and still he's a sweet natured boy... Timmy captured my heart,I hope & pray he'll come to enjoy many years from here on out

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
So this is my front door ,nothing between IT and the Daytona 500 parking lot!

Attachments

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have an entrance closet, not hall. What we've done is attach a child gate, one with hooks and eyes, not pressure, so that it will swing too across the entrance to the front door entrance closet. When it's pulled across the entrance the dog accepts that and stays back. It would slow a cat down while you are opening the door and getting outside. For a very agile and determined cat, not much good, but for a more, "Hey, I'll just come along cat." it might help.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
We have an entrance closet, not hall. What we've done is attach a child gate, one with hooks and eyes, not pressure, so that it will swing too across the entrance to the front door entrance closet. When it's pulled across the entrance the dog accepts that and stays back. It would slow a cat down while you are opening the door and getting outside. For a very agile and determined cat, not much good, but for a more, "Hey, I'll just come along cat." it might help.
I've heard of people who stacked one gate over the other-great idea but for me I need something much easier,most times I need to get around with a rollater( walker with wheels & a seat);so that would be a big hassle with having enough to do to walk!!!
I think many cats would respect a smaller barrier and of course tye dogs aren't apt to leap over ... and then like you say,nothing it too high for a determined cst

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey all.... I'm so excited ,my cousin sent me a photo of the door he made-tomorrow he should be here to partition the hallway and install it....I can't wait to have that door,my Sami is sooo "extra" always out in front of me straight out of NOWHERE,it's exhausting -I've never in all of my life seen a cat this fast,never- he is just a blur

Attachments

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a super wonderful door from both your and Sami's point of view. That's going to be totally exciting for both of you. Super points to your cousin!

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey all.... I'm so excited ,my cousin sent me a photo of the door he made-tomorrow he should be here to partition the hallway and install it....I can't wait to have that door,my Sami is sooo "extra" always out in front of me straight out of NOWHERE,it's exhausting -I've never in all of my life seen a cat this fast,never- he is just a blur
Looks great! I have several cats that are a blur.. lol they can keep you on your toes for sure…

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
This might help, although I was able to see that picture you loaded in that particular post -- looks amazing 😍

How to upload a video
I'm not sure I can follow that....I'm pretty bad with tech stuff

I'm trying to figure out how to minimize photos that are too big to upload here- tabbytom tabbytom helped me with one by cropping it but some can't be cropped.... is there instructions somewhere for that?