Escape cat

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
People arriving for class informed me that Sundar was outside welcoming them.. Sundar is a strictly indoor and outside-enclosure cat, but he has learned how to open the door... not just pushing down the lever handle, but, if he realises it's locked, undoing the snip as well!

There is a screen door as well, which he can also open.  I don't think he's quite got the hang of unsnipping that one, but I have a feeling it's only a matter of time.

When he gets out he tears around like a crazy cat till his pectus excavatum gets the better of him and he collapses, panting.

Nilah, of course, takes full advantage, but is far more sedate in her escapades...

I now have to lodge something in the lock to keep it there until I work out the best way to rearrange the furniture...

Last edited:

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a clever clever boy!!

Im so thankful these things havent yet been worked out over here!!  It did give my heart a little fillip when I saw the sleek grey cat in your photos...(Korats and Russian Blues -many similarities!)

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Psychologists have known for a long time that cats are capable of solving quite complex puzzles. Thorndike ran experiments where he put cats in puzzle boxes, where they had to trip a lever, pull a switch, etc. in correct sequence to get out for their treat (which they could see outside the box)... Yep, those cats learned. they tried lots of stuff first, trial and error, but when something worked, they remembered what worked and were more likely to try it again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Today I hid and watched him unlock the door and then push the handle down to open it....  He's now got it down pat.  He knows the the inner door opens inwards and the outer one opens outwards and he pushes them accordingly.  And on top of that, he's worked out the snip lock, and that it has to be done first!

I now have to lock both doors with the key. 

He is SO unimpressed.. he goes through all the motions and then just glares at me with his "what have you done" look. 

And this is the little guy who was deformed, the only one of the litter to survive and his survival was put at 50/50.  Obviously didn't affect his brain!

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If cats ever develop opposable thumbs we will have to put up the white flag.