Escape artists!

willowlondon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our 7 month kittens are obsessed with the great outdoors. Upon bringing them home I quickly realised I had to mesh off our windows and ensure that we shut the hall door before leaving through the front door every day.

However yesterday I got home and the second door had been left open or ajar and Squish came zooming past me when I opened the front door! I managed to shove Dennis back in before creeping after her, heart racing, for 5 mins before I could grab her! Usually we can nip in and shut the door before they get down the stairs on the odd occasion the door is left open and I have had to rugby tackle Dennis once before - but Squish really managed to get away.

The two of them are not very good at recall at the moment (not sure if cats understand this-- but my old one used to come out of the garden when I called her). Perhaps they are still learning their names (or she was just studiously ignoring me- more likely as they are very intelligent the rest of the time!)

Because of their obsession and just because I thought they would enjoy it / could do with the exercise we have been taking them into our back garden on harnesses every day or so. They love it out there and it's much safer being pretty enclosed and backing onto a park. The front door opens onto a road! I thought taking them out every now and then would also curb their curiousity and make it less of a shock/disaster should they ever slip past us.

What can I do to stop them rushing out like that ? Or improve their recall skills? I'm so worried next time it happens I won't catch them or it will be dark or they will be hit by a car!!!

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm really not good on the whole 'cat training' thing I'm afraid.  I'm just very, very careful whenever I come in the door!

However treats may work with recall.  But I'd be taking great care not to let them out with your road situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

willowlondon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Mani- we are just being militant with the front door and I am trying to improve their recall. I guess they are still quite young so hopefully it will improve with time. I'm sure my neighbours think I am utterly bonkers, walking two kittens around my garden and every now and then shouting "DENNIS" or "SQUISH" haha!