Epsom salt for cats paw

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who keeps injuring his paw pads. 1st time it was a front paw, treated with antibiotics. 2nd time, a back paw, he's on antibiotics now. Vet told my try soaking it in epsom salt. I don't see that going well. Will it still be effective if I squirt some from a syringe onto his paw?
1st pic was the 1st time. 2nd pic is now. I actually seen quite a bit of posts of something similar with other cats on here. He's a door dasher so I'm assuming it's from outside. But maybe something else is causing it? 🤔 both times, paw pad has been sensitive to touch and swollen

Attachments

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Squirting isn't a cat's favourite thing. You might be better soaking a sponge and putting it on that way. Even briefly putting his foot in a bowl of very shallow water/salts.
Did they give you a ratio? Remember the saying 'goes through you like a dose of salts'? That's epsom, and he's bound to immediately want to lick it off. ;)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
An alternative to the Epsom salt might be chamomile tea. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then dab some on his paw with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day.

Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for your cat to ingest should he do so.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
S shebaa When we soaked Magnus's paws we used the sponge method that mani mani suggested above but with a fresh cloth each time.

We used a VERY shallow bowl (those old Campbell's ones) as it was less intimidating. Our vet gave us some antiseptic soap to use instead though.

We two-personed it and slowly fed a Churu as a bribe which had varrying results depending on the day.

With his skin infection though he was also prescribed prednisolone and an antibiotic (can't remember which, it was chicken flavoured). The prednisone is to allow the antibiotics to penetrate the skin more effectively. I hated it...it was like he lost his personality while on it, despite the fact he is the easiest cat to pill ever. (Take out a churu and set the pill next to him) he was full of wiggles re: toe soaks though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet did not give me ratio. I fear he will lick it and I know it's not good for them to eat.
So I think I'll try the tea. Robot or human?
Is this OK? I know nothing about tea 😏
I do the squeeze ups while cleaning his paw. Makes a huge difference! He loves his squeeze ups 😋

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been putting the tea on his paw but it doesnt seem to be getting better. Today it looked like there was some dry blood and still painful, he let out a little hiss this time. I'm thinking once it dries, i will wrap it so he doesnt get to it. His dental is 12 days and was gonna have them check on it but dont know if I should wait that long. Im thinking stop tea and just keep it covered. Any other recommendations?
Ive also called his vet multiple times today, they're really bad about answering phones

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
S shebaa Is there another vet in your area? If you can go sooner it would be best if now hissing with pain.

You can ask your vet for some medical soap to soak the paw in. Here's a photo of what my vet gave Mags. 16631821801426643000848823320715.jpg

I've never used camomile tea before but our former vet before we moved cities recommend orange pekoe tea for soaks. It worked well (Nobel is sensitive to medications). You have to rinse with boiled and cooled water afterwards so the cat doesn't ingest caffeine. But it's worked well..I think it's past time for that though.

At the very least, it's time to move to the Epson salts for soaking. Looking it up, people are recommending 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp per cup. I'd err on the smaller side, boil the water, add the salt and let it cool to just above room temperature (room temperature is too cold for cats). It's likely a 2 person job and if you can just use a small scoop or table spoon to rub the water over the infected area, that's better than nothing.