Enrichment ideas for a very special kitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you sure the cat isn’t happy? Maybe he is just fine with his living situation and you think he isn’t happy because you wouldn’t be happy in that room.
Well, I’m a feline behavioral consultant and all my training in animal behavior tells me he is understimulated.

For a year and a half, he’s seen the same four walls. He sleeps, and then at night he plays with the ripple rug for a bit. He has no meaningful interaction with another living being. Every day is exactly the same.

Cats are social and need physical exercise and mental stimulation. Of course, there is no way to know how he feels for certain, but there is enough evidence on feline behavior and well being to know that this is not sufficient enrichment.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
I figured that's what you ment. A very lucky kitty! So a permanent head tilt means he cannot move it at all?
You know, that’s a good question!

I know he can move it some, but I’m not sure if it stays in that position because its “fixed” in that position, or if he keeps it there because that’s what’s most comfortable, or maybe somewhere in between those two options.

I’m inclined to think it’s fixed there due to neurological issues (rather than physical), but I’m not entirely sure how it works.

Huh. Definitely a question for the vet!

Functionally though, he always has it tilted to one side and has a moderate range of motion from that tilted position. So he can lift his head up or down a bit, and even to the side, but his head never tilts to the other side and it is never straight on like a healthy cat. If he wants to see the side it doesn’t tilt on, he had to turn his whole body.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I took a risk of asking a ? that I should know the answer to but don't. To bad you can't ask your cat. Is there a cat neurologist? So maybe with certain exercises he can get his head moving more? What happens if you clap your hands different directions? Does it hurt his head to move it?

Like this?Head Tilt, Disorientation in Cats | PetMD

Last edited:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL! We named our other cat Zorro for completely opposite reasons! He’s a lover and was super brave! We got him as a 16 week old feral kitten and he made progress in record time, even faster than his 8 week old cousins. How funny!

Trust me, we’ve been going slow and steady! Like I said, he’s been inside for a year and a half, and we took care of him outside before that for two years.

I don’t actually need him to be anything other than what he is, he has a home for life with us no matter what - I just know that him warming up to us will be a lot less stressful for *him* and allow us to provide better enrichment for him.
Heyyyy! A fellow Zorro! :party: Does yours have extra thick eyeliner too? He seduces me every time with it.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
I took a risk of asking a ? that I should know the answer to but don't. To bad you can't ask your cat. Is there a cat neurologist? So maybe with certain exercises he can get his head moving more? What happens if you clap your hands different directions? Does it hurt his head to move it?

Like this?Head Tilt, Disorientation in Cats | PetMD
Yes, his head tilt is somewhat like in the link.
We initially thought he had Vestibular syndrome, then we were told he had a polyp that we would have to remove via surgery. He also had a bad ear infection at the time, so they had us treat him for that first, and after that, they couldn’t see the polyp anymore. He still had the infection, so we continued treating, and he’s kept the head tilt ever since. The vet said that sometimes it ends up being permanent.

if there were exercises he could do, we would only do them if absolutely necessary right now. Otherwise it would stress him out waaaaay too much to be worth it.

The vet doesn’t think he needs to see a neurologist, but we were hoping to visit one anyway once he was a little more socialized. Might need to revisit that at this point and maybe take him anyway. It’s always hard finding a balance. We really don’t want to stress him unnecessarily and gabapentin only does so much.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, his head tilt is somewhat like in the link.
We initially thought he had Vestibular syndrome, then we were told he had a polyp that we would have to remove via surgery. He also had a bad ear infection at the time, so they had us treat him for that first, and after that, they couldn’t see the polyp anymore. He still had the infection, so we continued treating, and he’s kept the head tilt ever since. The vet said that sometimes it ends up being permanent.

if there were exercises he could do, we would only do them if absolutely necessary right now. Otherwise it would stress him out waaaaay too much to be worth it.

The vet doesn’t think he needs to see a neurologist, but we were hoping to visit one anyway once he was a little more socialized. Might need to revisit that at this point and maybe take him anyway. It’s always hard finding a balance. We really don’t want to stress him unnecessarily and gabapentin only does so much.
Maybe if a neurologist can help him he will be less stressed. It's hard when you can't decide what's best. I guess ask his opinion which I'm sure you already have Good luck!

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
You could set up a camera to see what he does all day when you aren’t around. Might give insight into if he is happy or not.
We have a camera in there! :) that’s how I know he doesn’t do much of anything and only likes the ripple rug and catnip.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe if a neurologist can help him he will be less stressed. It's hard when you can't decide what's best. I guess ask his opinion which I'm sure you already have Good luck!
Yeah, it’s really hard finding the balance between what might be beneficial and worth it vs limiting/managing his stress. Any neurologist we’d see would be 45 minute drive, which also doesn’t help!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it’s really hard finding the balance between what might be beneficial and worth it vs limiting/managing his stress. Any neurologist we’d see would be 45 minute drive, which also doesn’t help!
Mine used to be 45 minutes away and my mom,40 minutes from me would pick me up and take me there
I would be very stressed if I didn't have her to take care of me