Enriching the former-outdoor cat's indoor life

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both of my new cats used to be an outdoor (or at least, mostly outdoor) cats. Lera is fine with being a house kitty--he seems to have no desire to go back outside but Frank does seem to miss it. He will sit at the sliding glass door and cry or stare plaintiviely outside or walk around and try to find his way out.

I would like to enrich his life so he doesn't miss it or maybe figure out a system for him to safely go outside. I am willing to try leash and harness training and I kind of want to outfit my patio (i don't have a fullblown yard) with some sort of cat fencing but I need to the keep the cost WAY down because A.) I rent and won't be here forever and B.) Am poorish. Anyone have any good cat-proof fencing ideas for cheap? My fence is about 5 feet tall and vinyl (yuck!). I used to keep the door open all the time when someone was home for the dogs since Lera had 0 interest in it and is too fat to get over the fence anyway, but Frank discovered my secret one day and I found him sitting on top of the fence post! That was the last day of that.

What have you guys done?

ETA: I adopted both cats as adults and they were both found as strays outside and had obviously spent a great deal of time outdoors, if not their whole lives.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't really help because both of my cats were strays and neither showed any desire to go outside.

I'd be cautious about anything you "construct" because until it's foolproof (which might be expensive) cats can get out.

My boy is now to heavy for me to handle in an ordinary carrier (I'm disabled), and I recently got him a "stroller" just for visits to the vet. He loves looking around, etc. It was just $60 on sale, and is worth every penny. Your cat might like to take walks in something like that. I like it better than the harness idea because there are a lot of dogs in my neighborhood and my boy 1) is afraid of dogs; 2) might be harmed.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just focus on enriching the indoor life. letting them go outsides ometimes is just confusing for most cats.

They have toys that are robot like and alot of fun. Got a laser toy? Give it some time and they will adjust hopefully.

cat-tastrophe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally think cats should be allowed outdoors at will, unless you happen to live in a apartment or on the edge of a busy road. There's really no real harm in allowing your cats to enjoy the great outdoors as they always have. I have outdoor only cats, and I've never regretted the decision. I want to provide my feline pals with a full and happy life, and being outdoors is essential to any living creature's well being and health. Like people, cats need to have some freedom. But, if you are going to keep your cats indoors permanently, than I suggest you build a "cat safe" outdoor enclosure for them. You could plant shrubs and cat safe flowers and have an area where your cats can relax and prowl around. Like I said, I'm 100% opposed to the "indoor cat" thing, unless its not realistic.

missdeon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could use these wire modular shelving units to make a small enclosure. Don't use the connectors it comes with. Use zip ties instead. I used these to make a rabbit enclosure. I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond for about $20 for the box. You could also attach these to a wooden frame. Or use a wooden frame and some chicken wire to make an enclosure. There are some ideas on this site, as well.

Another idea is to go on Pintrest and search cat enclosures.

missdeon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also YouTube has some great ideas for cat enrichment.

missdeon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just noticed this thread was started and added to back in 2009. I guess I should notice the dates before I post. But, the suggestions I made are still good! Hope they help someone.