engagement ring question

bossinova

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my husband bought my ring, it was sized at 6. He had to have it downsized to a 4, and he was afraid that it wouldn't fit, it looked so small! But it does, it doesn't spin and it doesn't slide, but it's not too tight. It's perfect!

I would suggest that as long as it doesn't slip over your knuckle and you're not afraid of it slipping off, I would wait a few weeks just to get used to it, and then re-evaluate.

Congrats- isn't it a great feeling?!

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am a 6 and my ring sometimes spins around. I never thought anything of it. I just flip it back around

I know you can buy some plastic thingys to put on the band from it moving around.

vibiana

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never been married, but I wear my late mother's engagement and wedding set. She had a smaller finger than I do, but let's just say neither of us was a size 4, in rings OR clothes. lol

When I inherited her rings, I had them sized up to fit my finger and they're actually a bit loose sometimes in the mornings. Recently they slipped off my finger in the middle of the night, rolled under the nightstand, and I didn't notice they were gone till the next morning when I was bleary-eyed and scooping litterboxes. Then I panicked, thinking I'd lost them down the drain when I washed my hands or in one of the boxes. I went pawing through all the boxes in a panic, ran and looked down the drain, and was just about to take the trap apart when it occurred to me that I'd have felt the rings slipping off my finger if I was awake. So, I went and looked by the bed and there they were. I was so relieved I cried.

My mother was pregnant so many times during her first 20 years of marriage that she had to stop wearing her engagement diamond -- her fingers would swell up and she'd have to have it cut off. She went through a couple of bands before putting it in a drawer. Dad had it reset for her on their 35th anniversary in 1981. Mom died last year, around 5 AM on the morning of their 58th wedding anniversary. May she rest in peace.

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
also, when you're older, your knuckles will probably swell (it happens to everyone) if it's a litle loose now, it will fit when you're older.. and from a 4.25 there's no resizing it bigger

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As an almost-professional flutist...yes. Yes, your fingers will swell. I'm trying to get a colleauge to tell me how she keeps her engagement ring on so that I can give you better advice, but... For our hands, we use anti-inflammatory lotions throughout the day to stay on top of things through our evening practice...anything that includes olive oil will do it. I don't know if that's an option for you, but thats how I get through my practice! I don't have an engagement ring yet and I've always been wondering what I'm going to do about my fingers! In the past, I've never worn rings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thh20

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hello all and thank you for your advice! I've decided by default to wait a few days to see how it feels, partly because I've had to put in a few 11 hour days at work, and by the time I'm off, the jewler is closed!

It's starting to feel a bit more comfortable, although I'm thinking a 4 still might not be a bad idea.

...and for the record, my fingers are *not* toothpicks! lol