Energy Drinks

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't touch energy drinks. My boyfriend is very fit, a long distance runner. He also has a healthy diet. Last year he found out his cholesterol was elevated. he has no family history and doesn't smoke. The only thing we could think of was energy drinks as he was drinking a ridiculous amount of them while training.

I think they're gross anyway. Red bull is one of the most disgusting substances on earth.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really like them. I tried a tab one a few weeks ago and it tasted alright. I only drank it because I had barely any sleep and had to get up and go to work for 7:30am and then go visit my mom and I was really tired. I really do not like Red Bull. We have one in the fridge here thats been there for a long time.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Joint Juice which has Glucosamine in it. It has artificial sweetners but only 10 calories. I like the berry and the lemon flavors. I drink it after I exercise. I like the taste.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I'm supposed to be drinking "sports drinks" with added electrolytes... and was drinking Propel but had to quit, I really cannot handle artificial sweeteners. That seems to be what set off my nausea as my stomach settled down, finally. Anyone know of ones without that don't taste horrible?
out of curiousity, have you tried Vitaminwater's Charge? They have one that's suppose to be just like Gatorade....

I've been drinking G2 as well, but it probably has artificial sweetners too...

Personally I do have the occassional energy drink. I need some sort of "pick me up" betwee 1 and 4 pm somedays, so I'll just do one energy drink. I tend to go for the lo-carb kind...you all right how say that the sugar is just too much. I like the Monster Energy.

Most people that have their issues stem from drinking more than 2 a day. most of the drinks say you're not suppose to have 2 (some 3) per day. I've known people that drank 5 a day and had panic attacks, fast heart beats, etc.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

out of curiousity, have you tried Vitaminwater's Charge? They have one that's suppose to be just like Gatorade....
I don't recall seeing that around here (see my location, that explains a lot
). I'm fine with real sugar as long as something isn't over loaded with it and there's nothing weird in the ingredient list, I'll try them.

For those with regular energy problems. Fix it the proper way, get more sleep, get exercise if you can, check to see if you're low in any vitamins and minerals - some of those can have serious effects on you, or see if there are other health problems causing it. That's better then a quick "fix".

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

For those with regular energy problems. Fix it the proper way, get more sleep, get exercise if you can, check to see if you're low in any vitamins and minerals - some of those can have serious effects on you, or see if there are other health problems causing it. That's better then a quick "fix".
To add to that too - watch your carbs
For me, when I need my afternoon pick me up, it's usually because I had lasagna or pizza, or something else that's heavy in carbs...that can put me out like a baby, even with 8 hours of sleep and plenty o' execise.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will drink them every now and then! Mostly when I need to be awake or havent had a lot of sleep. I like AMP and Pimpjuice (yes that is an actual name) and NOS. Red Bull is okay alone but I agree good with Vodka! And Jager!
I will drink maybe a full one once or twice a month.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never tried them. Back when I used to work out I used to take Xenadrine (before they stopped using ephedra) and never had any problems with it. I didn't abuse them though.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently realized that one of the most popular energy drinks was giving me a weird arrhythmia. I quit drinking it, and haven't experienced that since.