Enema recovery?

Lookitme85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 14 year old female cat that was acting very lethargic and refused to eat or drink. I took her to the emergency vet on Sunday morning. Her blood tests and came back ok but they couldn't get any urine out of her her a urinalysis. An xray showed that she was very constipated and her bladder was very full, colon was not overly enlarged and no real blockages.

The vet believed the constipation was what was causing her discomfort and keeping her from urinating. They gave her an enema, after which she was able to urinate. They edid an xray to make sure she was cleared well and a urinalysis came back clean so they sent her home.

Since yesterday afternoon and all day today she has still seemed very tired and unwilling to move. She seems more alert when I pet or talk to her but if I move her she will move very slow and will walk to the nearest soft spot and lay right back down. She wouldn't get up to come eat and I hadn't seen her use the litter box all day. I took her food to her she did eat and drink some. I put her right next to the litter box and after a few minutes she went in and urinated.
I'm wondering if it's normal for her to be so sore and sleepy still and If I should just let her relax and recover or how long I should go before I worry and take her back to the vet?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best advice we can always give here is , if you are worried, always check with your vet. A call to ask questions is always acceptable. She has been through a fairly scary time and I’m sure she felt bad. Eating, drinking and urinating are all good signs but the lack of moving around on her own would worry anyone who loves their kitty. Keep reassuring her and watching but call the vet and check in to find out if they think she needs to be rechecked. Maybe keep some notes on how she is acting along with how often she has urinated and her food and water intake. It is possible that she is sore but better to get professional opinions. Toxins can build up in their system from
not urinating or pooping so that might be why she is so tired or weak. If she gets any worse, don’t wait to call, go ahead and take her. Please do keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lookitme85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update- it's been a couple days and she is doing much better. She is still lower energy than normal but seems progressively more like herself each day. She's been eating, drinking and using the litter box.

At vet recommendation,, I've been adding miralax to wet food twice a day and she gobbles it right up. Oddly, my other cat who also used to be all about the wet food has just been licking the gravy and leaving the rest and she eats that too. He's not acting sick at all and has been eating dry food too so I'm not real worried.