End stage kidney disease-when to euthanize

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry MsAimee.  This is so hard, I know.  Like Zed Xyzed, I hope Chablis surprises you and turns around again.  I love the picture even though it's sad.  Kitty buddies.  I don't pray often but I will say a prayer for strength for you and Leo too as well as Chablis. 

catsnip404

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry MsAimee, while I thankfully haven't gone through this yet with any of my cats, I did go through it with Rocco, my Pomeranian.  He was losing his appetite, and would lose interest in a particular food, so I'd switch him to another, and he'd that for a few days and lose interest, etc.  Still, he got so skinny.  He didn't even want cheese anymore, which is what i used to give him his pills.  So I switched to ice cream.  In the meantime, the SubQ fluids seemed to help him rebound from the bad episodes.  The last week he was doing good, all considered, but then suddenly he took a turn for the worse.  Didn't want to eat or drink, and didn't even want ice cream.  I brought him to the vet, and we decided to do the SubQ fluids again, and she helped me to set a benchmark....if he didn't improve by the morning, then that was time.  In the morning, he still didn't even want ice cream.  I trust my vet very much, and having that benchmark really helped me to know I was doing the right thing at the time that I did it.  It was heartbreaking, but I felt no guilt for that decision -- I knew I did all I could, and leaving it go longer would not be a quality life for him.  It's still not an easy thing to do.  In fact, it was the first time I had to put a pet to sleep.  I like what I read on here that someone else wrote, that when that time comes, you have decided to take away the pain and suffering from your beloved pet and carry it on yourself instead.  That really is a loving way to look at it.  I am hoping Chablis rebounds, as Rocco did so many times.  I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers and am sending good vibes your way.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to help my Lucky across the bridge just four days ago to to kidney disease. His was acute on chronic and got REALLY bad on Wednesday. But I can only echo what everyone has said - use your heart and you'll know when it's the right time. 

For me, it was when I got the numbers for Lucky after his Tuesday labs. My vet was actually off that day but he called from home to tell me. Despite aggressive treatment for two weeks, his creatinine was up to 12.5 from 8.3 (previous labs were two weeks before), his BUN was 241, previously 128. I actually knew after just hearing the voicemail saying it was worse, but the numbers solidified it for me. In hindsight, I think Lucky had been telling me the two days before that it was time. Well, that Wednesday, I swear he must have heard the vet saying it was bad. He crashed and he crashed hard. I actually didn't think he'd make it long enough to be put to sleep the next day. Vet's office was only open half day that day, and by the time I got the numbers they were closed. Otherwise, I probably would have taken him in Wednesday.

Thinking many good thoughts for you and your baby, and that you find the strength to not only make the decision when the time is right, but that you are able to find peace with it.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chablis has had a wonderful life because of you. I think you will realize soon when it is time for him to move on. Whatever is out there for him, he will be able to tell everyone what a great human he had. See how he is tomorrow, then decide whether another trip to the vet is warranted.

Is there a vet who might come to your home to put him to sleep? That might be easier on him than traveling to the Humane Society.

I will be praying for you.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry Ms Aimee. It's never an easy decision to make. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time.

Big hug to you and Chablis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took Chablis to the vet this evening because I didn't want to make a decision without a doctor's input.  I was there 2 hours and crying the whole time, I had a really hard time making the decision of whether to euthanize him, or to go back to giving him daily fluids. He perked up in the car on the way to the vet and struggled in my arms when I first went inside, so I thought maybe he perked up and could have more time and wasn't that bad. I had kidney panel blood work done and his creatinine was 9.2--and I knew he wasn't coming back from that. I know he's had a long struggle, and felt from his eyes that he just wanted to rest. I'm very thankful for the extra four months we had together since his diagnosis in July--they were good four months and I'm happy I hung in there and gave that time to him. And I think I made the right decision to help him cross over the rainbow bridge tonight.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.