End Of Two-week Adjustment Period

KitCat20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
New member here so I'll *try* to make this short. In Aug 2017 I adopted a 5 mo old NM and two weeks ago adopted a 10 mo old NM. That first night with him home I was concerned he might not be the right fit but continued with the rescue's policy:

"We require a mandatory, minimum two-week adjustment period before the adoption can be finalized and ownership transferred."

Issues
1. Aggressive play; even after proper introduction (enough so where I had to break it up more than once).
2. Biting. With very little if any warning. I'm 25, and am concerned about if we were to start a family in a few years whether this cat would attack the infant/toddler.
3. Right now I have the time and space to work with him (training etc.) but next week I will be finishing my second year of medical school living in a 32ft RV.

If I were to return him he would go back to his foster home. I've never returned a pet and the thought of it makes me feel terrible, but I also feel like it might be the best choice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KitCat20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I meant to add the following to the original post but couldn't figure out how to edit it:

The purpose of this post is to explain my situation and ask for others to let me know what they would do in my position.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a couple of things so I understand your situation. You have two cats but problems with only one of them? And how about the behavior of the other?

The behavior you describe sounds like very normal behavior for a kitten. All kittens bite to some extent and there are things that you can do to discourage them. This kitten play doesn’t mean they will bite or attack as an adult. And play between kittens can be extremely rough and loud while they are still having a great time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KitCat20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, only problems with the newest one. The older one is an ESA and trained to be on a harness, have his nails trimmed and teeth brushed. He's infatuated with my senior female cat that stays with my dad but with the kitten is very dominant. He's also a Turkish Angora.

I've had kittens/cats "love bite" and even bite a bit harder during play but never where I had to scruff them to pull them off of me or someone else.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some kittens just haven’t learned not to play roughly. They may have been taken from their mom too soon and didn’t haven enough playtime with other kittens to learn some boundaries. If you are patient and persistent you can change that behavior by telling him no or even hissing at him before you remove him. But if you feel you are not connecting with this kitten or he is going to be too much of a challenge, then I would encourage you not to finalize his adoption and to return him.