Enclosed Front Porches

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an enclosed entryway in the front and an enclosed screened porch in back. Both have locked doors so no one can come into them. Unfortunately, that means that I can't hear when anyone knocks on either the front door or back door. I went to Lowe's and found one of those electronic doorbells (the kind that has the button for outside and a bell that plugs into an electrical outlet inside the home.) It has a ding-dong for the front door and just a ding for the back door. It has been a Godsend. I would find it incredibly rude if someone walked in through a closed door to knock on the inside door, but then, I'm an incredible privacy freak.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

A person should never "try" any door to see if it is open, with the one exception if he or she lives there. Technically, that woman didn't even have a right to be on your property without your permission. She was bold and rude, IMO.
Just my thoughts!

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heh, my Grandma has a bell hanging outside of her enclosed porch so people can ring it by pulling the little rope cord. It looks cute because she lives in the mountains and so it matches her house perfectly.

snickers80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to deliver newspapers and I always felt weird going into peoples' enclosed porches to put the paper where they wanted it. Like some of you said, an enclosed porch is often times another room of the house, and has its own furniture and appliances etc.

Sometimes people don't have doorbells on their porch, but they have them next to their front door (or whatever door leads into the house).

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have an enclosed ft porch and an enclosed rear porch. The front one is more like part of the house, it's considered living area. There is a locking door on it and a doorbell. The rear porch was recently converted and is just that--a porch, but now with walls of windows around it. It does not have a typical exterior door that locks, just sliding panels (you can lock them but it's not something that has a key or anything). The doorbell is on the actual entrance to the house, not on the panels.. so yes, it's normal and necessary for people to enter the enclosed porch area and then ring the doorbell. THe ups guys actually open it and put packages on it which is really awesome. But the front porch, because it's integrated into the house, would be very freaky if someone just tried to enter (they wouldnt get in anyway, but still, it would be odd)

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I lived in Wisconsin, we had a closed in porch. I don't ever remember thinking it was weird if people came to the inside door. We had a door bell on both doors too. We had a couch and stuff out there too. I have to admit, I did appreciate the mailman leaving packages inside on the porch rather than leaving them outside too. I really don't know where the boundry is with that. I remember when I moved up there I would freak out when my husband wouldn't lock the house when we left. I originally from Memphis, and you don't even leave the doors unlocked when you are home. I got used to it after a while and we even went on vacation and left our doors unlocked.
Just told the neighbors where we were going and they kept an eye on the place. I wish I lived somewhere like that again....