Enclosed/disguised litter boxes, any thoughts?

mojoseph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any experience with those hidden litterboxes that either look like potted plants or end tables? (yes, the hideously expensive kind.)

We used to have two litter boxes in the basement and one in the small bathroom upstairs. With a third cat (stray) added to the mix, we now have two in the kitchen and I would like to disguise them if it will work for our cats and not upset them.

I wasn't sure if suddenly having an enclosed box would be a problem. Mama seems to be totally flexible when it comes to her box being moved, but Drama... not so sure.

We have two spare rooms, but for some reason, Drama goes poo (not pee, just poo) outside the litterbox anywhere that is not high traffic. He doesn't go in the living room, kitchen or our bedroom anymore, but he does in the basement because that is not living space. And if he gets into either spare room, it is Poopapalooza, so I am hesitant to put a box in there and allow him access.

We would keep all the boxes in the basement, but my other female has been hiding down there from the stray and needs to have that space as her safety zone.

P.S. I know this sounds like two questions: The enclosed/disguised litterbox question and my cat's litterbox issues... but I haven't taken him to the vet yet about it his litterbox thing, so I'm not sure I deserve to ask for help on here yet on that one

starbuk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use to have one and it was fine. The kitty used it without issues but she is good about that. I took it out and put in a larger box because she was getting too big. If the space is large enough I would do it since it sounds like you know what you're doing with the high traffic areas. If you have a choice the uncovered one is probably better so cat can stretch out and also so you don't have a hard time cleaning it. But should be ok!

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, I've never used those kinds of litter boxes before so I don't have any personal experience.  However, I've read that cats prefer to have open boxes so that they can't get ambushed by another cat.  Good luck.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really depends on the cat.  Saying you can speak for all cats based on your one or two is really inaccurate.  Some cats do not like enclosed boxes and feel kind of shut in or claustrophobic in them so they won't use them.  A good indication is if you have a covered box and they won't use it.  Mine won't so I doubt they would use and enclosed one?  It's a shame because they have some really awesome ones out there that just double as a piece of artistic furniture and you'd never know it was a litter box!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mojoseph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I worried about the enclosed part, because I could see Mama being naughty and trapping Drama in there or something. She's an adorable little bully. And he does not need any more litterbox issues! Poor guy.

But boy am I tired of having people over for dinner and having a cat nonchalantly take a poo while we are eating! Little stinkers.

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I think the cat poop smell is going to invade your dinner party no matter what kind of box you use, unfortunately.

Have you tried taking a tall storage tote, leaving the lid off, and cutting a dip in one end of it for the cat to get in? This creates an open litter pan with very high sides and can hide the actual litter from view - plus, when the cats begin to use it, you can always try putting the lid on to see how they do with a covered pan before you spend a fortune on a pretty one.