Emotional Problems?

flamepoint mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help! My cat is totally out of control. He's a 4 year old, flamepoint siamese and I've had him since he was 8 weeks old. Until about a year ago, I have never had issues with him not using his litter boxes (he has 2). He still uses them regularly when he's in a good mood, HOWEVER, when he's mad about something, he'll poop where ever - usually on a couch if he can manage it. It's very evident that this is behaviorally-based and not any kind of medical issue. He was at the vet about three weeks ago and everything is fine, medically. The most common scenario is that he will want to go outside, so will sit by the door, meowing and scratching. If, for some reason, he's not let out in the time he deems appropriate, he will run to the basement and poop - sometimes on a stack of papers, sometimes on a couch. He has also, several times, exhibited similar behavior in the morning. He comes into the room and meows incessantly (whether he has been fed or not - apparently, he just thinks it's time to get up.... sometimes at 5:30am). A few times, my fiancee and I shut him out of the bedroom to get some sleep and he came downstairs (I believe on three separate occasions) and pooped on the couch. He seems to be sending a clear message about what he is NOT happy with. How do I deal with this without constantly catering to his every whim?

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there,

One thing I have learnt from this site is that this sort of thing doesn't just start without a reason, and in my experience cats dont just go in a mood because they aren't getting their own way. 

Have you changed anything in the house that he could now be reacting to?

Im sure someone that can offer more advice will be along soon to help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flamepoint mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for replying! The only change I can think of, that could be responsible for this behavior change, is that he didn't used to get to go outside and now he does. After I lived in my current house for about a year, I felt a little safer letting him outside. He's very good about staying close, but I don't let him out when I'm not home. It would be nice to have a cat flap that, at least when I'm home, he could go outside when he wanted because he loves to come in and out, but I live in a condo so it's not possible. The more I'm reading on this site, the more I'm starting to suspect that he's bored. I saw another post about the kitty halter and people who have tried taking their cats on a walk when they're bored. I could try that. I think the problem is worse in the winter when he can't always go outside, but I don't know how to handle that.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you thought about a patio enclosure with a secure access point?

There are tons types that are not permanent, and look great.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I find it strange for a cat to poop outside the box because he is upset with his human parents or his new residence. If you suspect boredom, have you tried giving him new challenging toys, spend more "play" hours with him, add shelves on your walls for more "climbing" challenges, get those cat "videos" for the TV or ipad, put his cat bed by the window so he can watch the outside in safety? Training him on a halter may help but he must learn that there are specific times during the day for walking outside or else you might end up with more whining and demands to go out.