Emmy! That cat Won't Hurt You

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a couple years ago a friend bought me a big beautiful coffee table book about cats. it's got a huge, sweet cover of a kitten on it that's so cute...Well, it's too big for my coffee table so I propped it up in the corner of the living room.
I hadn't been able to figure out why Emmy would only come 1/2 way into the living room before she started hissing and ran for cover!! What was wrong??
Then this morning it happened again...what the...duh! She is afraid of this kitty cover on this book!!! She walks in, looks over and see this big threatening kitty
looking at her!! Oh My!! That's a new one on me, I have to admit.
I've taken the book and put it in my closet and all is well now. Poor Thing

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, Poor Emmy! Everything is just so new and overwhelming! How smart of you to figure out her problem so quickly!

I wonder if she will now go over and sniff that corner.

You know I'm just thinking this, but your whole apartment surely smells of Bella. So that has got to be confusing to her, to smell strange cat every where but not see this cat.

Or she thought the book cat is the one who has left her scent all over. Now that book cat is gone, maybe Emmy can relax more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Oh my, Poor Emmy! Everything is just so new and overwhelming! How smart of you to figure out her problem so quickly!

I wonder if she will now go over and sniff that corner.

You know I'm just thinking this, but your whole apartment surely smells of Bella. So that has got to be confusing to her, to smell strange cat every where but not see this cat.

Or she thought the book cat is the one who has left her scent all over. Now that book cat is gone, maybe Emmy can relax more.
I thought about all the places that Bella would sit and lay and I'm sure that her scent still lingers in some of those areas. Poor Emmy might smell a cat she can't see.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure just like a cat coming back from the vet and all his buds hiss at him because he smells "different". Heaven forbid!

That could be big part of her strangeness.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww, I hate to laugh, but that really is amusing...

Poor girl, hopefully this will help her feel more at ease now.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
And here you thought she was hissing and growling at YOU the other day everytime she stepped out of the bedroom
. That must make you feel tons better. Glad you figured it out.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Her being afraid of the "covercat" doesn't really surprise me. I got my husband a cat-shaped planter for his birthday, and ever since it's been in the backyard Jamie, Miezi and our cat visitors won't go near it or walk past it. It looks like a friendly cat to me, but I'm not feline, so I just assume there's something "threatening" about it.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
aw

I hope Emmy got hugs
at least she won't be so stressed out now that that mean kitty and its friends are gone!

Just shows her intellegence - she can tell a book by its cover, and there were too many cats in that book!

jazzythecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is so cute! What a menacing, terrifying large kitty! Probably the smell of Bella may linger on some parts of the house so that could lead to part of it. Good luck with Emmy, she is such a cutie!

Jackz, Jazzy & Ginga.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww, poor Emmy! Hooray for you for catching on so quickly, though. Hope she continues to settle in well.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww poor Emmy, when I first brung Pixie home she was afraid of my stuffed cats on my bed. And would not go near them and now she ignores them and sometimes using them as pillows

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm been thinking about Emmy too. I didn't realize it had been so long since we'd heard from you!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I remember back in the mid 1990's when Chynna was with me. I had bought a patio door stop from Regal Greetings. It was a wood cut out into the shape of a life sized cat and painted. The idea was to put it between the inside patio door and the door jam to prevent your patio door from being opened from the outside. It was very cute.

I took it out of the box and had it sitting against my coffee table. Chynna came out of the bedroom and saw this cat in the living room. Poor thing! Her back arched and her fur stood up on end and she slinked away. She wouldn't come into the living room because she was afraid of that wooden cat.

I ended up giving it to my brother's girl friend.