Emilio first bath! And he loved it!

smilax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, today it has been Emilio's first bath! He is 9 months, and we have made it soft, slowly and caring he was feeling comfortable all the time. I've always had the feeling he would make it, and today I started making him to be familiar with the feeling of being wet, so I first started with his paws, wraping my wet hands around them, then rubbing with my soaked hands, legs, body... until he started to lick my hands, so then I put him inside the bathtub, warm water, and I could see he started to like it, until I could drop water over him all around gently (not his head!)

What do you recommend me from now on? How often do I bath him? Only water or shall I use some pet soap? It's exciting, I know he will love it more and more!

Thank you all!

smartyfoj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just curious by why are you bathing your cat? Most cats are notoriously good at keeping themselves clean by licking.  It's important not to bath your Emilio too often or you could dry out his skin and cause irritation.   I think it's a fine thing to get him used to a bath so that if you ever have to get something dirty off of him that would dangerous for him to lick off when the time comes he is less stressed and you will be less stressed too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smilax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your response. I'm not planning bathing him too often, but my vet said that contrary to the saying, cats love water if they get used to it and that a bath can help them a lot with eliminating their dead fur. I was thinking on once a month and a half or each two months, as frequently as I cut his nails, not much often. I know cats are the greatest with bathing themselves. Also one of the things of bathing I was thinking too was the one you are saying. ;)

smartyfoj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm I did not know it can help get rid of dead fur, that's interesting. I brush my cats to help with their shedding.  But it sounds like you're on the right track with regards to the timing of baths about 1 or twice a month is not too much.  I have heard there are some pet specific shampoos, I don't bath my cats so I'm not familiar with them but maybe someone else will be more knowledgeable.  Glad to hear it went so well, there have been a few times where my family's cats have had to be bathed because they were dirty and they were very angry and took it out on us with their claws...ouch! 

coco and rose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, good on you for being so lovable and patient while bathing your cat. I bath mines also about every month and they dont seen to love it, but don't go crazy angry at me either. I use two trays with warm water, one to wash them (yes, with cat ampoo) and the second to rinse them. They seen to love the feeling of being clean. The one thing they do HATE & get quite afraid of, is the hair drier. But they do need to be crowd because they're kittens and could get a cold if they stayed wet.
I also treat them to their favourite food straight after the frightening blowdry, so they slowly learn it shouldn't scare them si much & they have an overall good experience :)

smilax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
SmartyFOJ, you can try this way. I was doing it because he was curious about the bathroom -and it was not the first time. So I open the tap, and he didn't runaway when he started hearing the water flowing. And then as I told, I begun showing the warm water to his body, with my hands, slowly I tried to put him inside (not forcing the first time) holding him tight so he couldn't get away in fear, but when he showed fear I put him down the floor in the towel, and started doing what I told you, rub him with my wet hands, from his paws yo the rest of the body, talking to him sweetly during all the process. The hardest was done! When he started to lick the water from my hands, I took him to the bath tub again, this tine was the good one. At first he was tense, I was so holding him in caution, but he then started relaxing and enjoying.
I did that with little water, only covering his ankles. Hot-warm water. Next time I'll put more water on the tub. Try it and be patient! When the time is right to do the try, I think you'll know :)

smilax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Coco & Rose! I forgot to give him a snack in reward! That's very important! I won't forget next times so you think once a month is ok? Which shampoo do you use?

coco and rose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, i mean it is not absolutely necessary, because it is true cats are very clean and my cats are mainly indoor cats (although i do try to take them to the park on weekends). But I really think my girls like the feeling of being pristine clean, but every cat is different. In fact, Rose my tabby, likes it much more than Coco, my black girl. Charles, my childhood cat would have absolutely hated a bath every month. He would have seen it as an outrageous lack of regard for his absolute superiority in this world.
I use an anti-fleas shampoo for Coco and Rose. It doesn't smell amazing, but does the job. Don't remember the brand, but can let you know a bit later.