Embarassing ? about my "maturing" little boy...

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well thankfully Bagheera never did that. But every male dog Ive had (4) has done it any time they get excited. LOL I would definatly get him neutered now. Theres no reason to wait till he's 4 months old.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JulieKit

katiemae1277: Eros must be a big boy! Ceci is approximately 7-8 months and she weighs about 5-6 pounds and is FAT
Yup! He's my little pudgy-wudgy
He's probably 2x as big as his sister
I have a 7 moths old, Ismene, who is the tiniest cat I have even seen, she only weighs 3.5 lbs!! I don't know how Eros grew so big and Izzy won't grow at all

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Heather, do you know how much Louie weighs? Eros will be 4 months around the same time and when I took him to the vet 2 WEEKS AGO (so at 3 months) he weighed 4.1 lbs
yes he's my butterball
He hasn't been weighed in awhile, and he's put on weight for sure. But when I brought him to get his distemper I thought he was 11wks old, and he was less than 2lbs (they could not neuter). But it turns out he was only 9 wks old, my neighbor had messed up with his b-day?! I'm sure he's over 2 now, but I don't think he's 4lbs yet. But he is BIG, I mean his hind paws look like rabbits feet (and they're silvery like a wild rabbit), he's at least doubled in size.
He is bigger than the other kittens in his litter, they are alot smaller than him. And he is already knocking his 8lb sister over when she least expects it.
(I will have them weigh him when he gets neutered)

Originally Posted by Trouts mom

What a bunch of pervs male cats are
Natalie, let's just say he was enjoying every minute of momma's massage!

But, when everyone said get a boy cat cause boys are more affectionate, they were right! I mean, I know my LuckyGirl has alot of baggage and all but she can be a bit bi*chy.
And Louie, he loves to be touched, held, loved, petted, picked up, anything...he doesn't care, just give him attention! You could swing him up sidedown by an ear, and he'd just purr away!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Personally I would never wait even until 4 months to neuter a male cat. I wouldn't want to risk any of the spraying or fighting. I have male kittens neutered at 2lbs. which is usually around 8 weeks or so. I would defiantely see if you could get him in sooner. There is no reason at all to wait until 4-6 months.

I don't know if you mentioned if LuckyGirl is spayed yet but starting right now I would keep them seperated.
Our Vet will NOT spay or neuter before they are 12 weeks old.And he is considering changing that to no earlier than 6 months old.He said due to a study that he and a College (sp) did, they have found that it is safer to wait until 6 months old for Urinary reasons............expecially in male cats.
I go by what MY VET says and have them done at 12-14 weeks.If he changes it to 6 months,then that is what I will do...........after all, he is the Vet and not me.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

Our Vet will NOT spay or neuter before they are 12 weeks old.And he is considering changing that to no earlier than 6 months old.He said due to a study that he and a College (sp) did, they have found that it is safer to wait until 6 months old for Urinary reasons............expecially in male cats.
I go by what MY VET says and have them done at 12-14 weeks.If he changes it to 6 months,then that is what I will do...........after all, he is the Vet and not me.
Ohh wow, that is really too bad that he wants to change it to 6 months. That is crazy for vets to wait that long. I don't agree with that at all. It makes so much more sense to do before they sexually mature, cuts back on behavioral issues, cancer and disease when they are older, plus less cats getting out and reproducing, they recover faster...

I was just doing a little searching on all the myths on pediatric altering. I know one was that it causes the urethral diameter to develop too narrow causing urinary problems later on, but that has been proved to be just that, a myth (The American Veterinary Medical Association, The American Animal Hospital Association, the ASPCA, various other vets) I mean, these places have done years of testing animals, I read that the organizations mentioned above looked at some animals over an 11 year period and there were no signs of urinary problems. They researched that the common myths, stunted growth, urethral diameter at adulthood, behavioral patterns, metabolic rate actually are myths...

I am all for pediatric spaying and neutering. There are risks for everything, but the risks of waiting greatly outway the risk of getting them done early. I personally would switch vets. Maybe there is some other reason that caused the urinary problems, I don't know, the vet sounds a little fishy to me.

For the sake of all those cats out there who will continue to to become pregnant by ignorant owners or accidental escapes, etc... I hope he doesn't change it to 6 months old, same with all the vets out there who still insist on waiting. They need to update their policies and make take some update courses or something to learn the current info on vet medicine
IMO

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys.........

Tiggy and Bailey have never shown me their winkies nor have I ever looked. I never had a problem with either of them spraying.....

What exactly makes a male cat spray anyways???

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

What exactly makes a male cat spray anyways???
to mark their territory basically. they spray really fowl smelling urine all over the place. It is more common in unneutered males but females and altered cats can do it too.