Emaciated Cat

kdhester15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

I am new to the site but I appreciate all that I have learned just from reading threads! I have a few questions regarding emaciated cat care; long story short, our cat got out of our home and was missing for a month. She actually made it home on her own; we literally found her in a crate we were leaving outside. She must have used the last bit of energy she had getting home because she has not eaten the entire month she was missing.

Background; she is a 5 year old Bengal with a lot of pre-existing problems and has the worst vet attitude on the planet.

She is all skin an bone, lost 6 pounds. She is a 13lb cat who now weighs 6.5lbs and is severely bony particularly on her back end, she has severe muscle wasting and is ataxic in her back end. She has a wound on her leg and we are assuming she was injured early on and just didn't walk to get help/ food. We have noticed when she does walk her legs actually bend the 'wrong' way.

She has been to the ER vet and will be visiting her regular vet next week after she is a little stronger (she has to be put under and they won't do it in her condition; she had to be knocked down at he ER vet.) They did quick X-rays at the ER vet and nothing is broken but she has no muscle or fat to hold her bones in place which would explain the extreme bending.

We have been feeding her frequently with Nutri-cal added in; kitten food; and anything else on her approved foods list (pre-existing issues); we have been giving SQ fluids PRN and she is on Buprenex and Orbax for her injuries and pain.

Is there anything else that we can be doing until our vet visit? They don't want to give advice over the phone without seeing her; we're getting her a full run-down when she goes (blood work, dental, wound care, etc); you guys have given some astounding advice, our main concern is that she cannot walk more than 2-3 steps without collapsing. She can get most of the way into her box but I usually help her get in and out. She has been resting a lot, we want to do everything in our power to make sure that she gets well again; I work in wildlife rehab so I have access to most things!

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I feel badly for your kitty to be in that rough of shape when she got home. I am glad she came home however. Can you possibly get her some goat milk or kmr to help get some nutrients in her? Would it be an approved food? It might be good to keep her in a large box or even a crate with enough room to put down a litter tray and a heating pad, with room for her to move off it if she got too hot. Did the ER Vet give you any Hills A/d food for her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kdhester15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, I feel badly for your kitty to be in that rough of shape when she got home. I am glad she came home however. Can you possibly get her some goat milk or kmr to help get some nutrients in her? Would it be an approved food? It might be good to keep her in a large box or even a crate with enough room to put down a litter tray and a heating pad, with room for her to move off it if she got too hot. Did the ER Vet give you any Hills A/d food for her?
So, I have some weaning KMR powder left over from my last set of bottle babies and considered adding some to her food; I don't think at this point it could do her more harm than good. The Hills A/D we have tried after her first really bad bout with colitis and she refused to eat it; we tried it again and even in her starving state she turned her nose up at it. I might try the formula though, thank you! She is currently in our master bedroom quarantined in the corner next to the bed with all her necessities of life.

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope your cat gets better soon.

My grew to cat hate Hills food, too. What I have been doing is offering fresh water and canned food every few hours, sometimes mixing in a little hot water. If the food makes him feel sick, he rejects it. If he feels ok, he seems willing to eat more when I offer it again. I also got food supplements and appetite pills, but am doing those cautiously. I have to follow him with the food dish.