Eloping and Marriages and such

musicalbookworm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's really not that unusual to elope and have a reception later. My sister and her husband eloped right before he deployed and had a big reception when he got back. I haven't yet found a man my cats approve of,
but when I do, I think I will elope soooo much less stress.

Angie

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it's just the churchy pop & circumstance that you don't like, one option is to simply have a very low-key ceremony at your reception location.

My spouse and I got married standing in the water at the beach with 10 guests and a notary public watching from the shore. In fact, we did it twice: once where the guests had to climb to get there and once where the guests could just stand on the beach. Actually, we had another audience member, too ... a kayaker in the ocean. We wanted to do a sunset ceremony, but we were in a public park, so I made sushi and we sat around and ate beforehand (the reception, as it where) and then did our ceremony. I'm pretty sure I helped carry the cooler both ways on the about 1 mile trail to get the spot on the beach that we liked.

It sounds like you want to send out formal invitations and have a normal reception, so the other suggestions to get married first and then have a separate reception probably make sense for you. But just do whatever works for you.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

So In reality this is your wedding, you can get married where ever you like and it does not have to be a priest, if you want you can even get married in a court house, registry office, in a swimmingpool, on a mountain, ect ect.

Have fun Planning!!
Exactly! I was once the MOH in an underwater wedding. We were divers and the bride and groom wanted to exchange vows underwater. It was really quite clever...the vows were written on waterproof cards and they showed them to each other. It was kind of scary when the groom dropped the ring in the sand!
But it was great! And, of course not everyone could attend the total ceremony because not everone could dive. But those who couldn't went to the reception and it was perfectly accepted. So, you can do anything you want!

One question...are you actually eloping, as in running off and not telling anybody until after your married? Or you just want a quiet private civil service at the court house but people will still know about it ahead of time? Not that it matters either way, a reception is still fine in either case. I was just curious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

One question...are you actually eloping, as in running off and not telling anybody until after your married? Or you just want a quiet private civil service at the court house but people will still know about it ahead of time? Not that it matters either way, a reception is still fine in either case. I was just curious.
Well we have been talking about it for a couple years lol. Everyone expects us to get married but we dont want any sort of wedding. I just went out to LA to visit him (he moved there 3 months ago and I am moving there in 3 months or so) and we had a wonderful perfect day on Venice Beach on Sunday and are kicking ourselves for not eloping then! It would have been perfect! He actually said he was going to spur of the moment propose but we never wanted to do it like that and he didn't think to suggest eloping lol.

So anyways I/we are just thinking ahead here and we know we will elope at some point, and not tell anyone until its done with. He will be coming here for Christmas to see me and we could then. And then plan a reception over the summer perhaps? I don't know exactly, maybe we wont even elope until I get moved out there and then we can plan a reception over the summer when we come back to visit. That might be easier.

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My hubby and I got married at the courthouse, with no one there except the woman that married us. To me, it was great, because it was just the two of us, together. We were going to plan a party/reception sometime afterwards and invite all of our friends and family then. My son's imminent arrival sort of botched those plans, though!

Do what feels right for you. I see nothing wrong with eloping and having a celebration for everyone afterwards. There's no right or wrong way to have a wedding - just make your day special for the both of you, the way that it should be.

cattravels

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I eloped to Las Vegas to get married to avoid dealing with his family (they follow a strict religion). When we got back we had a celebratory party with all our friends and family, complete with a wedding registry, cake and everything. I would'nt have done it any other way. Go for it! Our invitations simply stated that we were inviting everyone body to join in our celebration of our new marriage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys so much for all of your help! I think we are just going to wait until the moment feels right to elope and then from there we will plan a big reception party. I just had no idea if there was a right way of doing things. But it looks like there really isn't, we will just have a big celebratory party whenever we are back in town with all our family and friends and stuff.

So thanks again guys! If anyone has any additional comments please continue to reply or PM me!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

By all means have a celebration reception with friends and family to celebrate, even if you get married somewhere else