Ellie's brush with death

millyanddaisy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been dreading catching up on this post but I'm so happy for you and Ellie, that she is feeling better. What a relief for you!

Sue

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just can't believe how quickly it all happened. And I am so thankful we got there in time so that really they only had time to frighten her rather than doing serious damage. If it had been Persil they would have torn her apart in seconds but Ellie is that bit bigger and caused the dogs damage first. It doesn't bear thinking about.

big-cat-fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Poor Ellie - and it was all my fault. Yesterday she was attacked by three dogs because I didn't fasten the carrier properly - it was a new one and I didn't realise you had to do the bottom clips too. The upshot was that during a visit to my friend's house where the vet met us to do all the cats' blood tests, Ellie escaped from the carrier and was mauled by three dogs. Fortunately we got to her in time and pulled the dogs off, and having a vet on hand meant that he could check her over immediately. She is in total shock but otherwise seems uninjured, thank goodness. One of the dogs, a terrier, had her by the face, and she has a mark across her nose, but he was bleeding from the encounter, not her. I kept her quiet and separated last night - she just curled up in a corner of my room and didn't want anything. Today she has not eaten or drunk anything by herself, but I have been getting milk and water into her by syringe, and an egg yolk. Last night she used the litter box, a little bit liquid but I guess that could have been shock. She has begun slowly to clean herself, but squeaks when touched on the tummy or sides, so I think she is bruised. And her mouth may hurt from the dog holding her. Other than that, she just sits on her tummy - last night she could not lie on her side comfortably. Does anyone have any experience with dealing with a cat in shock? Apart from keeping her hydrated and calm I am not sure what else to do or how long this may take to wear off.
Poor Ellie.... sending "kitty kisses" your way!!! Get to feeling better soon!!!