Elimination/peeing outside the litter box

gaprofitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

I have a 10 year old orange tabby named Cody.  He has been having some issues and i'm at my wits end to figure out what is going on.  He has been to the vet numerous times, urine and bloodwork look fine except he has recently developed diabetes and is on prozinc twice a day.  

I have two cats, my cat Cody appears to be stressed, when the other cat even comes near him he growls and hisses and seems very nervous.  I've noticed when this happens he will sometimes pee.  He has pooped outside the box a few times also.  A couple of times i've found him on the bed between the pillows sitting in his urine.

I can't figure out what is stressing him, my wife left me on July 1st as we are getting a divorce, i'm wondering could it be her absence? Seems like too long ago.  

He is eating fine and I can find no other issues, the only other thing is I have been feeding him twice a day switching him to wet vs dry and he is not free feeding.  Could he be stressed from just not having food out all the time?

I need help, unfortunetly i'm not communicating with my wife to help me out.

Thanks all.

Greg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gaprofitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't see anything greatly helpful there, I think it's his stress, he pees when the other cat stresses him.  It's weird, they have been together for three years.

gaprofitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm considering putting him to sleep on Monday, I just can't figure out what is going on.  He had peed on one of my hats when I got home today and pooped all over the end table.    It's like he can't control it or something.  I've tried all kinds of stuff, leaving food out, new litter box, etc. 

Greg

gaprofitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to seperate them as one cat has aggression toward the other which I think has something to do with his behavior.  It's like he's scared and then poops or pees.  My vet said this isn't due to his blood glucose levels.

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If the other cat stresses him out, can't you keep them apart for a little while and do some reintroductions? I've seen this on the cat from hell. I don't have any experience with this, but if you think that's the problem then separating them for a bit of time may at least calm him down a bit. 

grayfluffy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hopefully you are not going to put him down. I have had something similar happen. It was because I had a cat that was aggressive towards another one, she would get scared and pee or poop wherever she was, up on furniture or wherever she thought she was safe from the aggressive cat. She was too afraid to use the litter box for fear she would get chased. I had to use a spray bottle to train the aggressive one to stop chasing her. It eventually helped when I got the aggressive one trained to stop chasing her, she no longer has accidents.

You can also try another litter box on the other end of the home so your cat doesn't feel trapped to only have to use one litter box.

babykitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If it comes down to the point where it's either solve the problem or put him down...why don't you just give him to somebody else?

If the other cat is causing the accidents then putting him in a new environment would be beneficial for the cat. Especially better than putting him down.

jessp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hopefully you are not going to put him down. I have had something similar happen. It was because I had a cat that was aggressive towards another one, she would get scared and pee or poop wherever she was, up on furniture or wherever she thought she was safe from the aggressive cat. She was too afraid to use the litter box for fear she would get chased. I had to use a spray bottle to train the aggressive one to stop chasing her. It eventually helped when I got the aggressive one trained to stop chasing her, she no longer has accidents.

You can also try another litter box on the other end of the home so your cat doesn't feel trapped to only have to use one litter box.
Agreed! I've read a lot on using multiple litter boxes for multiple cats and that it helps a lot with territory issues. Maybe that would be something to try because you could implement it right away and see what happens.

Last edited:

gaprofitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Agreed! I've read a lot on using multiple litter boxes for multiple cats and that it helps a lot with territory issues. Maybe that would be something to try because you could implement it right away and see what happens.
I've isolated them and he is using the litter box now but still not doing well with the insulin, his blood glucose is staying in the 400-500 range with 2-3 units twice a day of Prozinc.